Women Protection and Empowerment Coordinator
The IRC has been working in Uganda since 1998 supporting refugees, vulnerable host communities and various institutions in the country notably the government, community-based organizations, the civil society and the private sector. Currently, the IRC in Uganda has presence across five sub-regions and six refugee settlements, implementing programming in the sectors of health, protection and rule of law (PRoL), women’s protection and empowerment (WPE), economic recovery and development (ERD), and education. IRC Uganda also implements cross-cutting programming focused on systems strengthening and accountability to affected persons. Recently, IRC Uganda extended support to the Afghan evacuee response in Entebbe.
IRC Uganda is currently looking for a strategic and versatile leader to oversee and manage multi-location and multi-donor WPE portfolio. The WPE Coordinator is responsible for strategy development, program design, and technical support to ensure quality implementation, standardization, monitoring and evaluation of all interventions. The WPE Coordinator supports teams in gender-based violence (GBV) prevention and response, women’s rights organizations in settlements and field sites across the country (particularly, Kampala, Yumbe, Lamwo, Kyegegwa, Arua and Terego districts and the Karamoja region) in emergency and local community contexts. The WPE Coordinator is responsible for regular technical oversight, guidance, and monitoring, both on-site and through continuous remote support, to ensure that all program interventions are context-specific, technically sound and appropriate in meeting the needs of target beneficiaries. The WPE Coordinator will define and manage a clear programmatic strategy and plan, drive forward implementation and ensure robust and effective management and oversight of WPE programming to meet highest programmatic standards while responding to needs of local communities through accountable delivery of programs. Primary focus is on program quality, with program progress being monitored and evaluated against quantifiable benchmarks, and business development, to ensure sufficient funding for multi-year robust programming.
The WPE Coordinator reports to the Deputy Director of Programs (DDP) and is based in Kampala, with regular travel to the field sites. This position supervises and mentors the field-based Deputy WPE Coordinator and Senior WPE Managers.
Duties and Responsibilities
Program Management, Development and Strategy
- In consultation with and support from the DDP and WPE Technical Advisors (TA), oversee WPE staff in the quality of design, management, and monitoring and evaluation of WPE programming in Uganda.
- Provide strategic direction, leadership and overall technical and management support to the WPE programming, ensuring it is needs-based, context-appropriate, responsive, coherent, collaborative, and based on achievement of the inter-agency GBV global minimum standards,.
- Work with the DDP and the WPE team to strengthen the WPE sector in IRC Uganda, defining the strategic direction of the WPE programming and establishing a contextualized country sector strategy, which is aligned with the overall country Strategic Action Plan (SAP).
- Contribute to growing the WPE portfolio in line with the SAP through proactive engagement with key stakeholders and donors, in addition to leading in the technical development of concept notes and proposals for existing and new donors.
- Coordinate with grants team and participate in the development of new proposals and initiatives for the IRC Uganda WPE sector in accordance with the country SAP, IRC Outcomes and Evidence Framework and IRC WPE strategies.
- Assist in developing and managing program budgets in line with program priorities and intervention contexts and ensure an appropriate, timely, and efficient use and tracking of resources, and ensuring compliance with donor and internal requirements.
- Based on thorough review of needs and gaps in service provision and coverage of humanitarian and development actors, and government agencies, ensure programmatic priorities are regularly reviewed for relevance and adaptations proposed.
- Ensure integration opportunities are explored and leveraged across the PRoL, ERD, health and education sectors to enhance the quality of programming and a holistic approach to addressing the needs of the target populations.
- Participate in IRC multi-sectoral planning and program design initiatives, providing guidance and technical support to sector-specific design and implementation to maximize safety of, and reduce risks to, women and girls.
- Ensure strategic and technical partnerships with other organizations are sufficiently and effectively developed and supported.
- Liaise, coordinate, and work closely with IRC operational staff (i.e. human resources and administration, supply chain and finance) to ensure timely and effective program planning and implementation, and to jointly address issues affecting program delivery as they arise.
- Liaise regularly with the relevant HQ technical units.
Program Quality and M&E
- Ensure high quality program design processes, based on thorough analysis of trends, gaps and needs, application of identified lessons learned, and ensuring adherence to evidence-based approaches linked to theories of change.
- Undertake regular field monitoring visits to assess progress and identify technical quality issues and/or other implementation issues, and provide solutions and implement modifications as required.
- Support the program managers and field teams in the implementation and monitoring of the work plans ensuring that activities reflect the commitments IRC made to the donor and the community.
- Ensure quality GBV response programming and ethical and sound data collection and information management systems are in place for GBV analysis, planning, and evaluation, and to allow for data-driven programmatic decision making and reporting.
- Develop and/or improve monitoring and evaluation mechanisms for the WPE program, ensuring that WPE teams in the field actively monitor set indicators and evolving concerns of the target communities.
Grants Management and Reporting
- Ensure regular monitoring of work plans and progress of activities on grants, actively participating in Project Cycle Meetings, including design, opening, implementation, learning and closing meetings.
- Prepare quality reports for donors and IRC according to the agreed timelines and monitor programmatic indicators and targets as required.
- Ensure proper budget management and oversight of the WPE portfolio by tracking spending on a monthly basis, developing catch-up plans (if necessary) and submitting and following-up on requests for realignments.
Staff Support and Development
- Coach, train, and mentor WPE staff with the aim of strengthening their technical capacity, exchanging knowledge within the team, and providing professional development guidance.
- Support the development of sound performance objectives among staff and provide regular feedback on staff progress toward realizing those objectives.
- Provide constructive feedback and counsel on appropriate career paths and professional development.
- Promote and monitor staff care and well-being; approve and manage all leave requests to ensure adequate coverage.
- Work with the Field Coordinators to ensure technical aspects of the Performance Management System documentation for the program managers is in place and followed up regularly.
- Support Field Coordinators to ensure that program managers put capacity development plans in place for the WPE teams based on documented capacity needs assessments exercise.
Representation, Coordination and Advocacy
- Actively develop and maintain effective working relationships with key stakeholders in Uganda, including the MoGLSD, UNHCR and other UN agencies, international and local NGOs, donors, and other relevant actors while promoting strategic partnerships.
- Participate in inter-agency GBV forums at national and international levels.
- Lead in national coordination representation, regularly attending national protection and GBV working group meetings.
- Ensure representation and active participation by program managers in district and settlement sector working group meetings.
- Identify advocacy opportunities together with the DDP and based on information coming from the field.
- Provide leadership of the IRC Uganda Women at Work (W@W) chapter and support as a Gender Champion.
Key Working Relationships
Position reports to: Deputy Director of Programs
Direct reporting: Deputy WPE Coordinator and Senior WPE ManagersOther internal contacts:Other Technical Coordinators (health, ERD, PRoL and education/Senior PlayMatters Coordinator), MEAL Coordinator, Grants Coordinator and Manager, County Director, Deputy Director of Finance, Deputy Director of Operations, HR Coordinator, Field Coordinators, WPE Technical Advisor, Child Protection Technical Advisor, Governance Technical Advisor and Gender Advisor