Before submitting an application, UNHCR staff members intending to apply to this Job Opening are requested to consult the Recruitment and Assignments Policy (RAP, UNHCR/HCP/2017/2 and the Recruitment and Assignments Administrative Instruction (RAAI), UNHCR/AI/2017/7 OF 15 August 2017.Deputy Representative - Operations
Organizational Setting and Work Relationships
The Deputy Representative - Operations will function under direct supervision of the UNHCR Representative. The incumbent will advise and assist the Representative in the overall management of UNHCR's programme and administrative activities and issues of concern within the country operation in an effective and efficient manner which supports the Organization¿s mandate. The incumbent will also have direct working relationship/arrangement with the Head of UNHCR offices within the country. He/she will also have a responsibility to monitor, coach, and guide and intervene with the staff in the country.
All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR¿s core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
- Assist the Representative in the overall management of UNHCR¿s programme and administrative activities and issues of concern within the country of assignment in an effective and efficient manner which supports the Organization¿s mandate.
- Promote, together with the Representative, UNHCR¿s objectives and priorities through formal and informal contacts with relevant government ministries and departments, UN Agencies, diplomatic missions, I/NGOs, media and other interested parties to raise support for the work of UNHCR.
- Assist the Representative in supervising the implementation of the country operations plan to ensure that activities are in accordance with UNHCR guidelines.
- Monitor the administration of field offices within the country.
- Ensure effective and efficient management of financial and material resources within the rules and procedures of UNHCR.
- Manage personnel through regular performance appraisals, coaching, and assessments of staff training and development needs.
- Ensure that essential services for the general welfare of staff (e.g. living and working conditions, health, education, recreation, etc.) are in place. This includes the establishment of proper and efficient mechanisms to assist staff suffering from work-related pressure or post-traumatic stress.
- Play an active role in the Security Management team (SMT) in the relevant country and the inter-agency security and contingency planning process; ensure that appropriate security measures and evacuation plans are in place to protect UNHCR staff, and that security guidelines and procedures as outlined by the Designated Official and UNDSS are complied with.
- Report and provide recommendations/solutions to the Representative on political, socio-economic and cultural developments that may affect the situation of the refugees in the country.
- Act as Officer-in-Charge in the absence of the Representative as required.
- Set and enforce parameters, criteria and deadlines for the design, review and report of operations.
- Enforce local compliance with UNHCR¿s workplace standards.
- In coordination with headquarters and the regional office enforce country-level compliance with UNHCR¿s financial rules.
- Enforce compliance with UNHCR¿s human resources policies (e.g. policies on gender, disabilities, diversity, ethics and HIV/AIDS).
- Allocate resources to meet minimum standards for staff working and living conditions
- Clear the submission of the country operations plan (including budgets, staffing levels and structures) as well as of funding submissions, appeals and report.
- Represent UNHCR in UN and other operations management fora.
- Enforce compliance with UNHCR¿s global strategies, protocols and guidelines.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Education & Professional Work Experience
Years of Experience / Degree Level
For P5 - 12 years relevant experience with Undergraduate degree; or 11 years relevant experience with Graduate degree; or 10 years relevant experience with Doctorate degree
Field(s) of Education
Business Administration; Economics; International Relations;
Political Science; International Law; or other relevant field.
(Field(s) of Education marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Certificates and/or Licenses
HCR Management Lrng Prg; HCR Protection Learning Prg;
(Certificates and Licenses marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Relevant Job Experience
- Solid UNHCR experience from both the Field and Headquarters.
- UNHCR specific learning/ training activities (i.e. Management Learning Programme, Protection Learning Programme).
EX-Intergovernmental Organization/International Organization (United Nations or similar);
EX-Field experience with UNHCR and/or with other humanitarian organizations;
EX-HQs experience with UNHCR and/or with other humanitarian organizations;
(Functional Skills marked with an asterisk* are essential)
For International Professional and Field Service jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English.
For National Professional jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English and local language.
For General Service jobs: Knowledge of English and/or UN working language of the duty station if not English.
All UNHCR workforce members must individually and collectively, contribute towards a working environment where each person feels safe, and empowered to perform their duties. This includes by demonstrating no tolerance for sexual exploitation and abuse, harassment including sexual harassment, sexism, gender inequality, discrimination and abuse of power.
As individuals and as managers, all must be proactive in preventing and responding to inappropriate conduct, support ongoing dialogue on these matters and speaking up and seeking guidance and support from relevant UNHCR resources when these issues arise.
This is a Standard Job Description for all UNHCR jobs with this job title and grade level. The Operational Context may contain additional essential and/or desirable qualifications relating to the specific operation and/or position. Any such requirements are incorporated by reference in this Job Description and will be considered for the screening, shortlisting and selection of candidates. C001L4 - Accountability Level 4
C002L4 - Teamwork & Collaboration Level 4
C003L4 - Communication Level 4
C004L4 - Commitment to Continuous Learning Level 4
C005L4 - Client & Result Orientation Level 4
C006L4 - Organizational Awareness Level 4
M001L4 - Empowering and Building Trust Level 4
M002L4 - Managing Performance Level 4
M006L4 - Managing Resources Level 4
M005L4 - Leadership Level 4
M003L4 - Judgement and Decision Making Level 4
M004L4 - Strategic Planning and Vision Level 4
X007L4 - Political Awareness Level 4
X001L4 - Analytical Thinking Level 4
X008L4 - Stakeholder Management Level 4
Please note that UNHCR does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, meeting, travelling, processing, training or any other fees).
The UNHCR workforce consists of many diverse nationalities, cultures, languages and opinions. UNHCR seeks to sustain and strengthen this diversity to ensure equal opportunities as well as an inclusive working environment for its entire workforce. Applications are encouraged from all qualified candidates without distinction on grounds of race, colour, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation and gender identity.
Please note that the closing date for positions advertised in the September 2021 Compendium is Wednesday 20 October 2021 (midnight Geneva time).