Snr Oversight Off - OverstOps
Before submitting an application, UNHCR staff members intending to apply to this Job Opening are requested to consult the Recruitment and Assignments Policy (RAP, UNHCR/HCP/2017/2 and the Recruitment and Assignments Administrative Instruction (RAAI), UNHCR/AI/2017/7 OF 15 August 2017.Senior Oversight Officer (Oversight Operations)
The Senior Oversight Officer reports to the Head of Unit, (Oversight Operations) of Strategic Oversight Service.
The work requires extensive collaboration with the staff in the IGO and other oversight entities, both internal and external.
The incumbent is responsible for providing Secretariat services to the Independent Audit and Oversight Committee (IAOC), and performing research and analysis of recurring systemic oversight issues that present high risks to the Organization, identifying root causes and recommending suitable remedial measures, and drafting reports. The incumbent participates in Ad-hoc Inspections as required, and may participate in the work of Investigation Service, as required. The incumbent may also be asked to review and provide feedback on draft agreements that contain oversight clauses and on information sharing agreements and Terms of Reference for arrangements with UN Agencies or other partners and third parties.
The Senior Oversight Officer demonstrates a full understanding of the technical and functional requirements of the position, and has expertise, skills and knowledge of:
- UNHCR¿s organizational and governance structure, policies, and standards.
- Auditing, investigations and forensic accounting.
- Planning and organizing meetings.
- Implementing a communication strategy, including websites.
- Researching, analysing and summarising large quantities of data to identify systematic root causes, and able to formulate implications and recommendations/options to address the core issues.
- Extracting information from the IT systems and preparing reports including dashboards and graphs.
- Problem-solving, with sound judgement to solve recurring systemic problems and issues.
- Report-writing, with experience in writing reports within the UN.
The incumbent liaises and collaborates with staff in the Service, the IGO and other oversight entities, in support Divisions, Regional Bureaux and Offices away from HQ. The incumbent interacts independently with UNHCR's management and members of the IAOC within the position¿s area of responsibility, including coordinating and arranging meetings with stakeholders.
- The supervisor receives quality reports, presentations and other documents on matters that fall within the responsibilities of the incumbent.
- UNHCR staff are appropriately informed of the authorities, responsibilities, accountabilities of the Service and of other oversight mechanisms in the Organization.
- The IAOC meetings are well organized and quality reports and presentations produced to stakeholders.
- Work closely with staff from internal and external oversight entities, conduct research and analyse systemic recurring oversight matters that present high risks to the Organization, identify root causes and lessons learned, and provide suggested solutions to address systemic issues.
- Provide advice to the supervisor on oversight matters within area of responsibility.
- Participate in the preparation of IGO reports to management and external stakeholders (including reports and presentations to UN bodies, interagency meetings on oversight, and formal and informal meetings of ExCom and the Standing Committee).
- Implement the IGO's communication strategy, including internet and extranet communications.
- Participate in Ad-hoc Inspections, including: developing terms of reference, objectives and parameters and ensuring they are in conformity with established policy and standards; making suggestions as to the type of expertise required for inspection missions, drafting terms of reference for contracts with external experts as required; preparing reports, and following up on compliance to recommendations. Participate in the work of Investigation Service, as required.
- Provide Secretariat services to the IAOC (Internal Audit Oversight Committee) including: organize meetings, make travel arrangements, prepare agenda and related documentation; communicate with IAOC members, internal and external auditors, and management; prepare draft report to ExCom and presentation to Standing Committee; budget management; familiarization of new members; maintain IAOC internet page.
- Participate, as a UNHCR expert, in internal audit engagements with OIOS UNHCR Internal Audit when required.
- Cross-train in other functions of the Service to ensure continuity during staff absences.
- Review and provide feedback on draft agreements that contain oversight clauses and on information sharing agreements and Terms of Reference for arrangements with UN Agencies or other partners and third parties.
- Provide input into training material developed by the Service on oversight matters within area of his/her responsibility.
- Have access to all persons, records, reports and assets under the ownership or control of UNHCR required to perform his/her work.
- Conduct research and analysis on oversight findings and systemic recurring high risk issues, and provide professional advice to the supervisor and Head of Service.
- Advise supervisor on matters relating to Ad-hoc Inspections.
- Make decisions on administrative matters while performing Secretariat functions for IAOC and inform supervisor of issues that arise.
ESSENTIAL MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
- University degree in Public Policy, Business Administration, or related field, with accreditation as Certified Management Accountant or Certified Public Accountant/Chartered Accountant or Certified Internal Auditor or a professional with Certification in Risk Assurance or Certified Information Systems Auditor or Certified Fraud Examiner.
- Minimum ten years of directly relevant previous job experience in the audit and risk management field, with particular emphasis on review of controls, performance audits, forensic reviews, and governance structures and mechanisms.
- Demonstrated proven skills, knowledge and experience in applying best practices in auditing and risk management.
- Excellent judgement with proven ability to deal with complex interrelated issues, and strong analytical and problem solving skills to develop solutions that address root causes.
- Familiarity with extracting information from IT systems.
- Excellent communicator with strong interpersonal skills.
- Experience working in a multi-cultural diverse environment.
- Fluency in English, including excellent drafting skills and capacity to communicate complex matters to a wide non-expert audience as well as to experts involved in the area of responsibility.
DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS & COMPETENCIES
- Experience in web publishing and internet site design.
- Working experience within UN system organizations.
- Good working knowledge of UNHCR field operations, organization structures, policies.
- Exposure to and experience in UN or non-UN field operations and emergencies in various geographical locations.
- Ability to formulate terms of reference for agreements with consultants and contractors.
- Fluency in French (written/oral/comprehension) and working knowledge of another relevant UN language, preferably Russian, Spanish or Arabic.
All UNHCR workforce members must individually and collectively, contribute towards a working environment where each person feels safe, and empowered to perform their duties. This includes by demonstrating no tolerance for sexual exploitation and abuse, harassment including sexual harassment, sexism, gender inequality, discrimination and abuse of power.
As individuals and as managers, all must be proactive in preventing and responding to inappropriate conduct, support ongoing dialogue on these matters and speaking up and seeking guidance and support from relevant UNHCR resources when these issues arise. C001L3 - Accountability Level 3
C002L3 - Teamwork & Collaboration Level 3
C003L3 - Communication Level 3
C004L3 - Commitment to Continuous Learning Level 3
C005L3 - Client & Result Orientation Level 3
C006L3 - Organizational Awareness Level 3
M001L3 - Empowering and Building Trust Level 3
M003L3 - Judgement and Decision Making Level 3
M005L3 - Leadership Level 3
X001L3 - Analytical Thinking Level 3
X005L3 - Planning and Organizing Level 3
X008L3 - Stakeholder Management Level 3
Please note that UNHCR does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, meeting, travelling, processing, training or any other fees).
The UNHCR workforce consists of many diverse nationalities, cultures, languages and opinions. UNHCR seeks to sustain and strengthen this diversity to ensure equal opportunities as well as an inclusive working environment for its entire workforce. Applications are encouraged from all qualified candidates without distinction on grounds of race, colour, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation and gender identity.
Please note that the closing date for positions advertised in the September 2021 Compendium is Wednesday 20 October 2021 (midnight Geneva time).