IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please note that Closure Date and Time displayed above are based on date and time settings of your personal device
Staff in the General Service category are recruited locally from the Primary Location area, which is where the office is located
FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender and nationality
People with disabilities are protected from any type of discrimination during any stage of employment, including the recruitment phase
All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
The International Treaty on Plant Genetic Resources for Food and Agriculture (ITPGRFA) is a legally binding instrument with the objective to facilitate conservation and sustainable use of plant genetic resources for food and agriculture and the fair and equitable sharing of benefits derived from their use. The Governing Body of the ITPGRFA is composed of all Contracting Parties to the ITPGRFA. The Secretariat of the Governing Body prepares, supports, and follows up on the Governing Body's deliberations and negotiations. The Secretariat enjoys functional autonomy in matters within the mandate of the ITPGRFA and decisions taken by the Governing Body, and be technically accountable to the Governing Body. The Secretariat is hosted by OCB Office of Climate Change, Biodiversity and Environment - OCBT Secretariat, International Treaty on Plant Genetic Resources for Food and Agriculture (ITPGRFA). The post is located in the Secretariat of the ITPGRFA.
The Office Assistant performs a large variety of routine administrative transactions and office support functions contributing to the smooth and efficient running of the work unit.
The Office Assistant reports to Programme Officer and receives guidance from a higher graded Office Assistant.
He/she acts independently in routine matters. Supervision received is focused on the quality of the work performed and provides for on-the-job learning.
The Office Assistant usually interacts with a wide variety of colleagues within the work unit and with immediate clients within the Organization, providing routine administrative and office support services.
• Arrange appointments for the supervisor, receive visitors, place and screen telephone calls and respond to routine requests for information;
• Provide office, administrative and logistics support to meetings, committees, conferences, etc.;
• Review, record, distribute and process incoming mail and correspondence; follow-up on pending actions;
• Respond or draft responses to standard/ routine correspondence and other communications; use word processing package to produce a wide variety of large, complex documents and reports;
• Proofread documents and format texts for accuracy, grammar, punctuation and style, as well as for adherence to established standards;
• Initiate general administrative tasks in the computerized financial / travel / human resources systems;
• Make travel and hotel arrangements and prepare travel authorizations/claims for staff as required;
• Provide assistance in the administrative processing of vacancy announcements and consultants' contracts;
• Research, compile and organize information and reference materials from various sources for reports; create spreadsheets and presentations; manage and update databases for mailing lists and other information; and maintain electronic and paper files;
• Perform other duties as required.
Impact Of Work
The incumbent's work impacts on the timely and efficient delivery of office support services and on the overall output of the work unit.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
Education: Secondary School Education
Experience: Three years of relevant experience in office support work
Languages: Working knowledge (Level C) of English
IT Skills: Good knowledge of the MS Office applications, Internet and office technology equipment
• Results Focus
• Building Effective Relationships
• Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
• Good knowledge of communication and documentation standards
• Good knowledge of corporate computerized financial / travel / human resources systems and administrative procedures and policies
• Good knowledge of meetings procedures, infrastructure and registration system
FAO staff are expected to adhere to FAO Values of Commitment to FAO,
Respect for All and Integrity and Transparency