• FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality, background and culture
• Qualified female applicants, qualified nationals of non-and under-represented member nations and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply
• Everyone who works for FAO is required to adhere to the highest standards of integrity and professional conduct, and to uphold our values. FAO has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and FAO, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination.
• All selected candidates will undergo rigorous reference and background checks
• All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
• The incumbent may be re-assigned to different activities and/or duty stations depending on the evolving needs of the Organization.
The Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) supports the transformation to More efficient, inclusive, resilient and sustainable agri-food systems, for Better production, Better nutrition, a Better environment and a Better life, leaving no one behind.
Procurement Service (CSLP) provides policy and operational support to ensure that the Organization procures goods, works and services based on 'Best Value for Money' principles.
The post will be in one of the 47 Decentralized Offices of the Region of Africa and the incumbent may be responsible for procurement activities in more than one country in the region.
The Procurement Officer reports to the Chief, Procurement Service (CSLP) for functional and policy guidance and administratively to the highest-ranking Officer in the duty station.
Procurement of goods, works and services and quality assurance for Letters of Agreement in compliance with FAO's rules and regulations.
Ensure that procurement activities comply with FAO's established policies and procedures and reflect best practice for public procurement.
• Plans, develops and manages all procurement and contractual aspects of significant complexity;
• Advises requisitioning units on the full range of procurement issues, providing support and guidance at all stages of the procurement cycle, meeting objectives under tight deadlines;
• Prepares solicitation process, identifies method of solicitation, drafts tendering documents, identifies sourcing strategy and distributes invitations to tender, also using e-tendering system and supports bid/proposals evaluations while ensuring the solicitation process is fair, objective and transparent and that it follows the general principles, as set forth in the FAO Manual Section;
• Prepares and presents cases to the relevant Procurement Committees;
• Participates in and conducts site inspections, bidder's conferences and contract negotiations;
• Conducts market research to keep abreast of market developments; researches and analyses statistical data and market reports on the world commodity situation, production patterns and availability of goods and services;
• Contributes to updating procurement policies and related tools, provides procurement reporting as well as clarification/information for auditing purposes;
• Participates in the development of training and related training materials and promotes best practices and capacity development at HQ and the Decentralized Offices;
• Provides guidance to new/junior staff and stakeholders; Ensures entry of accurate data using the Organisations ERP and related systems;
• Makes initial determinations and recommendations concerning disputes or claims arising from contractual instruments or procurement processes;
• Prepares monitoring reports, reviews and analyses data and make recommendations based on findings;
• Performs other duties as required.
• Undertakes the Buyer function in conformity with FAO rules and regulations.
• Reviews Letters of Agreement in conformity with the Quality Assurance function as set forth in FAO rules and regulations.
• Identifies and makes initial determinations and recommendations concerning disputes or claims arising out of procurement actions.
• Organizes and participates in, as appropriate, local tender opening panels and the Local Procurement Committee (LPC).
• Coordinates with forwarding agents relating to custom clearance, packing, and shipment of goods and maintain logistics records of such procurement-related activities
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
• Advanced university degree in Procurement, Logistics, Supply Chain Management, Law, Business, Administration, Economics, Public Administration or Commerce or a related field.
• Five years of relevant experience in procurement related activities with at least two in public procurement;
• Working knowledge of English and French
• Results Focus
• Building Effective Relationships
• Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
• Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions is desirable
• Ability to manage and supervision of team
• Demonstrated knowledge of internationally recognized procurement standards and of all phases of international procurement techniques and operations used in contracting for a diverse range of goods and services
• Extent and relevance of experience in public sector procurement dealing with complex contractual issues including revising, drafting of contract, formulating options and proposing recommendations
• Extent and relevance of experience in identifying clients' procurement-related needs and in providing support and guidance from clients' point of view