Technology for Development (T4D) experts (multiple locations)
UNICEF seeks to build its Roster of Technology for development (T4D) experts for digital transformation consultants to support different digital solutions globally. This roster will be supported by UNICEF’s Digital Centre of Excellence which supports the global scale up of digital innovation and Digital Public Goods across countries, aligned with national government priorities, systems and capacities. Becoming a Pre-qualified Your application to this roster is a one-off standard application that opens the door for potentially multiple assignments within a three-year period under one or more of the 10 technical profiles in digital solution development areas. Significant reductions in the time required by UNICEF to process contracts and for a consultant to be operational are expected. Over the three-year period, UNICEF will make extensive use of the roster for eligible consultancy requirements. This is a unique opportunity for any interested and qualified consultant to submit one application and if entered onto the Roster to be immediately considered for any future assignments by UNICEF in this area.
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
How can you make a difference?
UNICEF seeks to build its Roster of Technology for development (T4D) experts for digital transformation to support different digital solutions globally. This roster will be supported by UNICEF’s Digital Centre of Excellence which supports the global scale up of digital innovation and Digital Public Goods across countries, aligned with national government priorities, systems and capacities. Becoming a pre-qualified Consultant in this roster is a one-off standard application that opens the door for potentially multiple assignments within a three-year period under one or more of the 10 technical profiles in digital solution development areas. Significant reductions in the time required by UNICEF to process contracts and for a consultant to be operational are expected. Over the three-year period, UNICEF will make extensive use of the roster for eligible consultancy requirements; this is therefore a unique opportunity for any interested and qualified consultant to submit one single application and if entered onto the Roster to be immediately considered for any future assignments by UNICEF in this area.
Scope of Work:
The scope of work is to provide technical support for software and mobile app technology in different roles as below:
1. Project Management
1. Project Management
Project management and coordination that includes but is not limited to ;
2. Business and Requirements Analysis
Identifying, analyzing, and documenting the key requirements to solve a business problem and/or development challenge or to accelerate achieving the results for SDG that includes but not limited to:
3. Digital transformation advisory and strategy
Advisory and operational support to initiate, develop and implement various digital transformation initiatives that includes but not limited to:
4. Data Analysis, Visualisation and Management
Harnessing technology for data impact and integrity to generate insights and inform decision making that includes but not limited to;
5. Software Architecture, Development and Systems Integration
Provide practical technical support in the design, development and deployment of digital solutions that includes but not limited to;
6. UX/UI Design
7. Backend and Cloud Infrastructure Management
Backend and Cloud infrastructure technology expertise requires to enable and operate digital solution projects including:
8. Emerging Technologies
Supporting new opportunities to use frontier technologies including:
9. Partnership Management for Mobile Network Operators, Internet Providers, Technology and Social Media Companies
10. Technical Writing and Communication
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
- An advanced university degree (Master’s or higher) in Software engineering, computer science, computer engineering, information management or any other relevant field
*A first University Degree in a relevant field combined with 2 additional years of professional experience may be accepted in lieu of an Advanced University Degree.
- At least 5 years of professional experience in software development, software engineering, project management, business analysis or other relevant experience related to one or more of the 10 technical profiles identified in the Terms of Reference.
- Extensive experience in requirements engineering, software design and/or development process.
- Specialized certificate for the applied profile e.g. PMP or Prince 2 certificate for the project management profile, IIBA for the Business analyst profile, UX certificate, etc. is an asset.
- Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another official UN language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish) or a local language is an asset.
Potential consultants will be required to possess at least some of the following competencies:
- Experience in software design, development, and deployment
- Experience leading scoping, user testing and training for technology related projects
- Experience in Digital Public Goods, Open Source digital tools, mobile and emerging technology applied to different SDG areas
- Knowledge of environment in which UNICEF operates, and understanding of the constraints of working in a developing-world environment. This should include experience developing low-bandwidth applications in challenging work environments.
- Ability to align technical goals with UNICEF strategic goals – that always will mean prioritizing UNICEF’s mission over any technology
- Willing to travel (sometimes on short notice) and develop/deploy/test software in the field
- Experience developing software as part of a distributed team using Git or Subversion, especially in an open-source environment
The duration of the contracts under this roster will range from short-term contracts for a specific deliverable to a contract of up to 11.5 months.
For every Child, you demonstrate…
UNICEF's values of Care, Respect, Integrity, Trust, and Accountability (CRITA) and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
Click here to learn more about UNICEF’s values and competencies.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles and will therefore undergo rigorous reference and background checks. Background checks will include the verification of academic credential(s) and employment history. Selected candidates may be required to provide additional information to conduct a background check.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
Individuals engaged under a consultancy or individual contract will not be considered “staff members” under the Staff Regulations and Rules of the United Nations and UNICEF’s policies and procedures, and will not be entitled to benefits provided therein (such as leave entitlements and medical insurance coverage). Their conditions of service will be governed by their contract and the General Conditions of Contracts for the Services of Consultants and Individual Contractors. Consultants and individual contractors are responsible for determining their tax liabilities and for the payment of any taxes and/or duties, in accordance with local or other applicable laws.