Finance Associate FT GS-6, New Delhi
WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles.
Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance.
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world's largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
Type of Contract: Fixed Term
Location: New Delhi
Duration of Employment: 1 Year (Renewable, depending on availability of funds)
Reporting to: Finance Officer
This job is for India Country Office and report to the Head of Unit/Finance Officer.
At this level job holder is expected to demonstrate responsibility and initiative to respond independently to queries with only general guidance. Job holder is expected to manage resources and coordinate with the programme & operational team(s).
To coordinate and provide finance and budget support services involving the recording and interpretation of financial and budgetary information to ensure the efficient functioning of the operations and programmes and informed decision making. To support effective delivery of finance and budget services in order to facilitate transparent and efficient utilization of financial resources.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
• Provide the procedural and technical support to staff within the areas of finance and budget, to ensure compliance with WFP financial policies, rules and regulations;
• Support the development and implementation of financial policies and procedures and assist in setup and implementation of proper accounting procedures, systems and internal controls;
• Perform bank reconciliations, disbursements, clearance of receivables, overall cash management and monthly financial closures on a regular basis in accordance with corporate requirements;
• Support monitoring of fund utilization, loans and borrowings /repayment and refinancing arrangement; and alert supervisors to approaching deadlines for unassigned funds and potential resource shortfalls/surpluses;
• Provide regular and ad hoc financial information & reports to the respective units /management to support informed financial decision making;
• Ensure that disbursements are made based on proper authorizations and supported by legitimate and sufficient documentation;
• Assist in the preparation, implementation and monitoring of budgets, monitor expenditure and budget forecasts;
• Co-ordinate with other teams in order to ensure that all financial services are being performed efficiently and in line with the needs of the wider team;
• Compile data from the WFP database and systems in order to assist in generating and analyzing financial reports on a monthly basis;
• Monitor account balances and process financial transactions in an accurate and timely manner, to avoid the occurrence of an overdraft;
• Contribute to the delivery of financial controls and insight into WFP performance, supporting periodic risk and internal control assessments to identify areas which may present potential audit, compliance or financial risks;
• Coordination with bank on any payment, fund or other related official day to day matters;
• Review of reconciliation of VAT/GST receivables;
• Recording of monthly payroll of Fixed term staff and ensuring timely reconciliation;
• Retrieve, format and validate information obtained from various financial information systems and bring any discrepancy or inaccuracy to the attention of the supervisor and follow up corrective actions;
• Maintains and keep up-to-date finance and accounts files;
• Other related duties assigned by head of the unit.
4Ps CORE ORGANISATIONAL CAPABILITIES
- Understand and communicate the Strategic Objectives: Coaches team in the most effective ways to communicate WFP’s Strategic Objectives to WFP team and partners in the field.
- Be a force for positive change: Implements new methods or tools to improve team’s work processes and productivity.
- Make the mission inspiring to our team: Maps team’s activities and tasks to specific successes in beneficiary communities to showcase positive impact.
- Make our mission visible in everyday actions: Explains to teammates how each unit contributes to the overall WFP mission.
- Look for ways to strengthen people's skills: Identifies skill development opportunities such as training modules or on-the-job experiences for self, colleagues and direct reports.
- Create an inclusive culture: Facilitates team building activities to build rapport in own unit.
- Be a coach & provide constructive feedback: Facilitates the pairing of junior colleagues with coaches within own team.
- Create an “I will”/”We will” spirit: Proactively anticipates potential challenges and develops mitigation plans to ensure that team meets goals and targets.
- Encourage innovation & creative solutions: Identifies opportunities to be creative in own work and to help team be more innovative and accurate in their respective tasks and areas of work.
- Focus on getting results: Monitors team’s deliverables and provides feedback to ensure outcomes are delivered consistently and accurately.
- Make commitments and make good on commitments: Provides accurate guidance to team on expected responsibilities and tasks, whilst also upholding own commitment to the team.
- Be Decisive: Sets an example and provides guidance to junior team members on when to escalate issues when faced with challenging issues in the workplace or in the field.
- Connect and share across WFP units: Facilitates partnerships with other WFP units to accomplish missions in the field.
- Build strong external partnerships: Sets an example and provides guidance to team on how to build relationships with external partners.
- Be politically agile & adaptable: Articulates to colleagues or direct reports the value of contributing to other WFP teams and agency partnerships in fulfilling WFP’s goals and objectives.
- Be clear about the value WFP brings to partnerships: Organizes, monitors, and prioritizes own and team’s efforts to ensure that they will fulfill the needs of internal and external partners.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE:
DESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE:
• Minimum 5 years of relevant experience in finance/ accounting/budget area is required.
• Familiarity with SAP /ERP/similar accounting software application considered a plus.
• Experience of working in International NGO/organization will be an added advantage.
• Completion of secondary school education. A post-secondary certificate in the related functional area. University Degree in Finance, Accounting or related field is desirable
• Fluency in both oral and written English is required.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Only candidates under serious consideration will be contacted. A written test will be used as a form of screening. In the event your candidature is retained for an interview, you will be required to provide in advance a scanned copy of the degree(s)/diploma(s)/ certificate(s) required for this position.
The dates for Interview and Written test are as follows:
Written test : 22 October 2021
Interview : 29 October 2021
This is a national position therefore applicants who are non-Indian nationals will not be considered.
Mode of Engagement:
The salary for this position is non-taxable (subject to medical and pension deduction). The incumbent will be entitled for benefits related to medical, pension, leave as per WFP policy.
WFP is committed to promoting diversity and gender balance. WFP adheres to “zero tolerance policies” in the workplace.
Female applicants and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
WFP is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all qualified candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organisation. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the selection & recruitment process, and for work-related needs upon joining the Programme. WFP has zero tolerance for sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, abuse of authority or discrimination. All selected candidates will, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
Applications for the positions are to be submitted online on the E-recruitment links as mentioned below: https://www1.wfp.org/careers/job-openings
Note: Candidates are requested to Create an account in the system before applying. Candidates curriculum and applications will be registered and allows them to update their profile and apply for a job through wfp careers website.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
VACANCY CLOSING DATE : 18 October 2021
Female applicants and qualified applicants from developing countries are especially encouraged to apply
WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.