Dallas (United States of America)
With oversight from the Immigration Program Manager and other immigration staff, the Immigration Intern will assist immigration staff in providing direct legal services such as adjustment of status, citizenship, and family reunification to refugees, asylees, and other immigrants. (S)he will work closely with immigration staff to provide follow-up communication to clients.The intern will also perform a series of clerical and administrative duties to ensure client files are kept up to date.
COMMITMENT: 5-6 months starting in October 2021, 20 hours per week
• Assist immigration staff in providing direct legal services to clients.
• Perform research to connect clients to services including food pantries, mental health services, and more.
• Assist staff with the sorting and filing of documents and case files.
• Adhere to IRC policies, particularly those related to confidentiality and client privacy.
• Display sensitivity to cultural and personality differences of clients.Respect their beliefs and values.
• Perform follow-up communication with clients, inform them about the status of their cases, and explain processing delays.
• Prepare change of address forms with USCIS (The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services) as needed.
• Provide translation and interpretation when necessary.
• Other related duties as assigned.
1. Student will learn about U.S. immigration law
2. Student will develop problem solving and client services skills
3. Student will learn how to manage client cases within established deadlines