Shelter Officer- Construction and maintenance- Azraq Camps "Re-advertised"
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is an independent humanitarian organisation helping people forced to flee. We work in crises across 31 countries, providing emergencies and long-term assistance to millions of people every year. We stand up for people forced to flee, advocating their rights. NORCAP, our global provider of expertise, helps improve international and local ability to prevent, prepare for, respond to and recover from crises. NRC also runs the Internal Displacement Monitoring Centre in Geneva, a global leader in reporting on and advocating for people displaced within their own country.
Employment with NRC may lead to employment in or deployment to Regions, Countries, Areas or Offices that may be host to considerable health, safety and security risks. NRC takes this very seriously and we have procedures in place to reduce known risks, but will never be able to take away all risks.
All NRC employees are expected to work in accordance with the organization’s core values:
dedication, innovation, inclusivity and accountability. These attitudes and believes shall guide our
actions and relationships.
1. Roles and Responsibilities
The following is a brief description of the role.
These responsibilities shall be the same for all positions with the same title. The responsibilities shall be short and essential. Details belong in the Work- and Professional Development Plan.
- Provides direction, assigns tasks and gives instructions to staff, specifies their individual work plans and evaluates individual team member’s performance. Or Provides directions, assigns tasks and gives instructions to daily laborers and/or contractors and evaluates individual performance.
- Supports the assigned staff in their professional development, identifies training needs, supports staff to achieve the objectives defined in their learning development plans.
- Monitors the progress of the activities of assigned staff and ensures they are implemented conform planning and quality standards.
- Develops with the assigned team, Monthly activity plans.
- Ensures compliance with NRC policies CC tools, handbooks and guidelines.
- Identify, analyses and evaluate processes and gaps in the implementation of activities and make recommendations for improvement.
- Reports over the achieved activities, provides analysis over the performed activities and signal bottlenecks.
These responsibilities shall be adapted to the particularities of the job location and context, phase of operation, strategic focus and type of program intervention. This section shall be revised whenever a new employee is hired or the context changes significantly. The line manager drafts the specific responsibilities and sends them to his/her line manager for approval.
- Responsible for the implementation of NRC’s Maintenance team and Quick Fix team activities in Azraq camp.
- Oversees the maintenance works including supervision of laborers working on the site, providing technical support as required to ensure technical quality and timely response.
- Updating relevant spreadsheets and databases for tracking and monitoring maintenance and construction team activities, progress and costs associated with the various tasks and preparing technical reports to monitor or evaluate ongoing or completed maintenance and construction work as requested.
- Supporting design projects, including the preparation and review of technical drawings, schematics and diagrams (including using computer aided drafting (Auto-Cad), developing clear specifications, Bills of Quantities and Scope of Works, and work plan as required.
- Supporting the procurement of goods or services required for the project; including the development of detailed specifications for goods/services needed, raising Purchase Requests, tracking their deliveries, conducting supplier visits or market surveys and verifying the receipt of goods to ensure they meet the specifications of the goods ordered and preparing Goods Received Notes (GRNs) and drafting and inputting into final works reports to verify the satisfactory completion of works.
- Coordinating with logistic and procurement teams to make sure that all PRs are delivered by them, to follow up on the delivering date and to compare all these documents with the PR tracker sent by them to make sure that all data are there.
- Sourcing and managing any casual laborers required to support the project, including the preparation of time sheets for laborers.
- Documenting all paper work for each project and task, (Work plan, Daily register sheets, handing over forms, Estimated BOQs, Design sheets, Technical Sheets, Actual BOQ, laborer sheets, and all related documents).
- Coordinating with UNHCR Technical unit for all requested tasks and projects, feeding them back when every there is a challenge faced and when the work is over through the official channels.
- Managing all tasks, preparing a logical work plan, and prioritizing them based on their urgency and based on the line manager feedback.
- Keeping all stock above the minimum, to insure keeping the operation functional all the time, and in case of an emergency.
- Handing over all keys to UNHCR technical unit and making sure that all forms are there and signed by them on daily basis.
By interfaces, NRC means processes and projects that are interlinked with other departments/units or persons. Relevant interfaces for this position are:
- Relevant core competency implementation staff
- Support teams, Finance, HR, Admin and Logistics
- Protection staff
- M&E department
Competencies are important in order for the employee and the organization to deliver desired results. They are relevant for all staff and are divided into the following two categories:
1. Professional Competencies
These are skills, knowledge and experience that are important for effective performance.
Generic professional competencies for this position:
• Previous experience in working in complex and volatile contexts
• Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
• Very Good English Language level (Business English is a plus)
Context/specific skills, knowledge and experience:
- Bachelor degree in Engineering.
- A minimum of 4-year experience in related work.
- Reporting skill.
- Design software skills is a plus.
2. Behavioral Competencies
These are personal qualities that influence how successful people are in their job. NRC’s Competency Framework states 12 behavioral competencies, the following are essential for this position:
• Planning and delivering results
• Working with people
• Managing resources to optimize results
• Empowering and building trust
3. Performance Management
The employee will be accountable for the responsibilities and the competencies, in accordance with the NRC Performance Management Manual. The following documents will be used for performance reviews:
• The Job Description
• The work and Development Plan
• The NRC Competency Framework
NRC may be required to verify the identity of its partners and to check that its partners have not been involved in illegal activities.
NRC reserves the right to use electronic screening tools for this purpose.
NRC does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing, training or any other fees). Offers of employment or job openings with requests for payment of fees are fraudulent.
Victims of such scams should report them to their local law enforcement authorities for appropriate action.
Contract period: until 31th of December, 2021 (Renewal of contract is based on funding & performance)
Salary/benefits: 1024 JOD (subject to social security and Income tax)
Duty station: Azraq Camp
To review the Job Description, please download it by clicking on the " Job Description" hyperlink showed below under the related documents field.