Dallas (United States of America)
With oversight from the Resettlement Supervisor and other resettlement staff, the Resettlement Intern will assist case management staff in providing reception and placement services to newly arrived refugees as they adjust to their new lives in the US. (S)he will play a key role in helping refugee families access needed benefits and services within their first six months in the United States. The intern will also perform a series of clerical and administrative duties to ensure client files are kept up to date.
COMMITMENT: 4-6 months starting in October 2021, at least 15 hours per week
• Assist casework staff with client reception services including setting up apartments for new arrivals; assisting with application & enrollment for Social Security and school enrollment; teaching clients how to cash checks, use public transportation; make medical appointments, etc.
• Help clients prepare and understand forms and paperwork.
• Facilitate group orientations to ensure clients understand IRC Reception & Placement Program (training provided)
• Conduct research on community resources, client outreach and follow-up
• Provide translation and interpretation when necessary.
• Ensure client success with a strong emphasis on empowerment so clients thrive in their community.
• Other related duties as assigned, including answering and directing phone calls
1. Student will learn about refugee resettlement and refugee social services
2. Student will develop problem solving and client services skills
3. Student will learn how to manage client cases within established deadlines