Administrative Assistant (Housing)
Post Number : 1ITSC0914TP
Grade : G-4
Parent Sector : Natural Sciences Sector (SC)
Duty Station: Trieste
Job Family: Building Related Services
Type of contract : Fixed Term
Duration of contract : 2 years
Recruitment open to : Internal and external candidates
Application Deadline (Midnight Paris Time) : 08-NOV-2021
UNESCO Core Values: Commitment to the Organization, Integrity, Respect for Diversity, Professionalism
Only candidates who are entitled to work in the E.U. can apply for this position.OVERVIEW OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE POST
Founded in 1964 by the late Nobel Laureate Abdus Salam and located in Trieste (Italy), the Abdus Salam International Centre for Theoretical Physics (ICTP) seeks to accomplish its mandate by providing scientists from developing countries with the continuing education and skills that they need to enjoy long and productive careers. ICTP has been a major force in stemming the scientific brain drain from the developing world. For more than 50 years, ICTP has been a driving force behind global efforts to advance scientific expertise in the developing world.
Under the overall authority of the ICTP Director and the direct supervision of the Supervisor (Housing & Guesthouses) the incumbent provides administrative support to the section, ensures the efficient and cost-effective management of contracted services, assists the supervisor to identify ordinary and extraordinary maintenance needs and produces and follows-up the Purchase Requests for guesthouses budgets, monitoring the expenses against the guesthouses budgets and other assigned funds. Essential responsibilities include:
- Be the operational contact point for third party services (e.g. cleaning, sanitizing, gardening, vending machines). Plan and monitor the services and agree with the service provider on planning and staffing matters. Communicate anomalies or major changes to the Supervisor. Perform all administrative tasks and follow-up on these contracts. Assist the supervisor to inform the suppliers of any required extra-ordinary interventions when needed. Collaborate with Procurement in order to specify service requirements and evaluate offers.
- Collaborate with other Offices on operational matters regarding the guesthouses, rented apartments and other assigned areas (follow up on all maintenance requests, collaborate with reception on material stock, replenishments and cleaning of linens, collaborate with Info Point in order to satisfy the needs of visitors etc.). Ensure that recurrent service tasks are performed on time and to the satisfaction of the scientific community (e.g. room and office cleaning).
- Prepare Purchase Requests for the Guest House budgets and other assigned funds. Ensure that all underlying documentation and approvals are in place.
- Monitor actuals of expenses against the budgets for the Guest Houses and other assigned funds. Prepare and present periodic reports. Signal needs for fund transfers and unforeseen needs.
- Completed secondary, technical and/or vocational school.
- At least three (3) years of relevant working experience in general services support, secretarial or administrative tasks, preferably in an international environment.
- Excellent coordination and organizational skills.
- Service-oriented with good interpersonal skills.
- Excellent communication skills. Capacity to interact with internal and external counterparts with discretion and diplomacy.
- Ability to work quickly and efficiently under pressure, with minimum supervision and resolve routing problems independently.
- Flexibility to adjust work schedules and priorities and to sustain limited periods with workload peaks.
- Knowledge of general office and administrative support, ability to monitor budget expenditures.
- Good computer skills, with proficiency in the use of MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, etc.).
- Excellent knowledge (spoken and written) of English and Italian.
- Basic knowledge of public procurement and contractual procedures.
- Knowledge of the UNESCO/UN rules and practices, procedures, protocols related to the contracting of services/goods and its general administration.
- Knowledge of another UNESCO official language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish).
Only candidates who are entitled to work in the E.U. may apply to this position. Please note that for this position UNESCO will not reimburse expenses such as travel in connection with interviews, tests and relocation.BENEFITS AND ENTITLEMENTS
UNESCO’s salaries consist of a basic salary and other benefits which may include if applicable: 30 days annual leave, family allowance, medical insurance, pension plan etc.
For more information in benefits and entitlements, please consult ICSC website.SELECTION AND RECRUITMENT PROCESS
Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application and provide complete and accurate information. To apply, please visit the UNESCO careers website. No modifications can be made to the application submitted.
The evaluation of candidates is based on the criteria in the vacancy notice, and may include tests and/or assessments, as well as a competency-based interview.
UNESCO uses communication technologies such as video or teleconference, e-mail correspondence, etc. for the assessment and evaluation of candidates.
Please note that only selected candidates will be further contacted and candidates in the final selection step will be subject to reference checks based on the information provided.Footer
UNESCO applies a zero tolerance policy against all forms of harassment.
UNESCO is committed to achieve and sustain gender parity among its staff members in all categories and at all grades. Furthermore, UNESCO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities, as well as nationals from non-and under-represented Member States (last update here) are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the highest level of confidentiality. Worldwide mobility is required for staff members appointed to international posts.
UNESCO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.