Programme Specialist, Citizen Security and Governance
Duties and Responsibilities
- Formulation and implementation of programme strategies.
- Management of the CO programme under his/her portfolio.
- Proven track record in programme financial management, evaluation and reporting.
- Creation of strategic partnerships, formulation and implementation of the resource mobilization strategy.
- Provision of top quality upstream policy advisory services to the Government and, facilitation of knowledge generation/building and management of knowledge products for the generation of transformational development results.
- Conversant with the concept of innovation and innovativeness in the design, implementation and management of the governance programme.
- Contribution to the UN Delivery as One (DaO) Initiative; familiarity with the UN QCPR process, Implementation of UN Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and aid effectiveness.
- Support the Government and CO on the UPR process and other international reporting obligations of the country.
- Thorough analysis and research of the political, social and economic situation in the country taking into account the Sustainable Development Goals, and preparation of substantive inputs to CCA, UNDAF, CPD, CPAP and other strategic documents.
- Identification of areas for support and interventions
- Support implementation of corporate strategic initiatives such as HACT and other reporting obligations.
- Formulation of strategic programmes for achievement of transformational development results.
- The incumbent will contribute to the promotion and observation of the UNDP Gender Equality Strategy 2014-2017 particularly with regard to the mainstreaming of HIV, Human Rights, and gender equality in all programmes and projects under her/his management.
- Effective application of RBM tools, establishment of management targets and proactive and timely monitoring achievements of results and budgets.
- Design and formulation of CO programme within his/her area, translating UNDP’s priorities into local interventions. Coordination of programme implementation with the Executing Agencies. Introduction of performance indicators/success criteria, cost recovery, targets and milestones.
- Initiation and formulation of projects and UN Joint Programmes, presentation of the projects to Prepac and LPAC, entering projects into Atlas, finalization of contribution agreements; determination of required revisions, coordination of the mandatory and budgetary re-phasing exercises, closure of projects through reviews. Participates in recruitment and procurement processes for projects.
- Financial and substantive monitoring and evaluation of projects, identification of operational and financial problems, development of solutions. Leadership and participation in audit of NEX/NIM projects and internal audits in the thematic areas of his/her responsibility.
- Follow up and implementation of audit recommendations. All exceptions are timely reported.
- Aggregate reports are regularly prepared on activities, outputs and outcomes. Preparation of donor reports, quarterly financial and progress reports and annual work plans
- Development of strategic partnerships with UN agencies, IFIs, Government institutions, bi-lateral and multi-lateral donors, private sector, civil society in governance thematic areas based on strategic goals of UNDP, country needs and donor priorities.
- Analysis and research of information on donors, preparation of substantive briefs on possible areas of cooperation, identification of opportunities for initiation of new projects in close coordination with the MSU, and active contribution to the overall office efforts in resource mobilization.
- Production and dissemination of knowledge products.
- Application and use of issue analysis, theories of change, and innovations in monitoring and evaluation results.
- Identification of sources of information related to policy-driven issues. Identification and synthesis of best practices and lessons learned directly linked to programme country policy goals.
- Coordination of development of policies and institutions that will address the country problems and needs in collaboration with the Government and other strategic partners.
- Establishment of advocacy networks at national level and linked to international networks. Relevant, high-impact advocacy campaigns are implemented with key partners.
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
- Organization of and participation in training for the operations/ projects staff on programme.
- Identification of joint interventions programming in the areas under his/her supervision
- Support to ongoing M&E processes within the framework of Delivery as One (DaO).
- Collaborative preparation and/or revision of CCA, UNDAF, CPD and other documents.
- Contribute in the working sessions of the UN Thematic Groups (TG) and serves as the secretariat of the TG as necessary.
- Synthesis of lessons learnt and best practices from programmes
- Integrates diverse contributions to formulate coherent approaches
- Aligns innovation to service delivery components
- Manages prototype / pilot efforts and seeks feedback
- Creates new opportunities for team, not just self to learn and take on new responsibilities
- Actively shares knowledge
- People Management
- Ability to improve performance and satisfactionLevel 5: Models high professional standards and motivates excellence in others
- Coaches team members to appropriately share knowledge across teams
- Addresses conflicts in a timely, sensitive manner; escalates to leadership when appropriate
- Recognizes members of the team for their efforts and successes
- Optimizes individual and team abilities
- Persuades others to embrace new ideas, even when controversial
- Empathizes with client perspectives and needs and communicates messages with the clients’ experiences in mind
- Creates opportunities for developing new client relationships
- Anticipates constraints and identifies solutions
- Expands capacity of team to deliver on time, on target, and within organizational standards
- Ensures high quality of work in terms of both substantive depth and adaptive relevance to client needs
- Accepts responsibility for implementation / team deliverables / client satisfaction consistent with organizational standards
- Exhibits thorough organizational awareness of UNDP’s approach to client service delivery and integrity and accountability
- Exhibits sound judgment and the ability to make reasonable decisions in complex situations
- Researches potential solutions to internal and external client needs and reports back in a timely, succinct and appropriate fashion
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines
- Establishes, builds and sustains effective relationships within the work unit and with internal and external clients
- Actively supports the interests of the client by making choices and setting priorities to meet their needs
- Anticipates client needs and addresses them promptly
- Understands and applies fundamental concepts and principles of a professional discipline or technical specialty relating to the position
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks
- Analyzes the requirements and synthesizes proposals
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
- Assesses project performance to identify success factors and incorporates best practices into project work
- Researches linkages across programme activities to identify critical points of integration
- Monitors specific stages of projects/programme implementation
- Participates in the formulation of project proposals and ensures substantive rigor in the design and application of proven successful approaches and drafts proposals accordingly
- Analyzes information/databases on potential and actual donors
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s Degree or equivalent in Political Sciences, International Development, International Law, Economics or related field.
- 5 years of relevant experience at the national or international level in providing management and management advisory services on democratic governance and citizen security issues, decentralization and strengthening of institutional frameworks. Hands-on experience in design, monitoring and evaluation of development projects.
- Demonstrate good management, communication and interpersonal skills and should also be culturally and politically sensitive in the work with counterparts and be able to work at all levels. Research, analytical and negotiation skills are required
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages such as (MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint), corporate management systems, and web based management systems is essential.
- Fluency in Spanish and English.
Important applicant information
All posts in the GS categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.