Finance Officer (NO-A), Fixed Term, Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea, #103505
Port Moresby (Papua New Guinea)
UNICEF Papua New Guinea is looking for a Finance Officer to provide support to the office by administering and executing a variety of technical and professional transactions/initiatives in financial management and services, applying theoretical skills and acquiring thorough knowledge of International Public Sector Accounting Standards (IPSAS) and organizational goals and objectives, Financial Regulations and Rules, policies and procedures through the performance of tasks. Only nationals of Papua New Guinea may apply.
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child, SUPPORT.
With over 850 indigenous languages, and one of the most ethnically diverse populations, widespread poverty and gender inequality make it hard for many children to realize their rights. In Papua New Guinea, UNICEF’s works effectively both ‘upstream’ (with governments) and ‘downstream’ (at the grassroots level) to carry out its mission through a programme of cooperation jointly developed with the government guides our work in the country.
How can you make a difference?
Under the close guidance, training and supervision of the Deputy Representative Operations, the Finance Officer provides support to the supervisor and colleagues in the office by administering and executing a variety of technical and professional transactions/initiatives in financial management and services, applying theoretical skills and acquiring thorough knowledge of International Public Sector Accounting Standards (IPSAS) and organizational goals and objectives, Financial Regulations and Rules, policies and procedures through the performance of tasks.
Summary of key functions/accountabilities:
- Support to financial planning and management
- Control of accounts
- Treasury and cash management
- Knowledge and capacity building
As a champion for every child, you will have the following qualifications…
- A master's degree in accounting, financial management or another related financial field is required. Supplemental formal financial/accounting training may be accepted if the degree is not in a related financial field and only a university degree is completed. Diploma qualification in CIPFA is acceptable in lieu of relevant degree, or its equivalent.
- One year of professional experience in financial management or audit is required.
- Experience in an international organization and/or large corporation is an asset.
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office, especially Excel required.
- Experience in database packages, web based management systems and ERP systems (preferably SAP financial modules) is an asset.
- Experience with IPSAS and/or IFRS is an asset.
- Fluency in English and PNG local language required.
For every Child, you demonstrate… our core values of Commitment, Respect, Integrity, Trust and Accountability.
View our competency framework at https://www.unicef.org/careers/media/1041/file/UNICEF%27s_Competency_Framework.pdf
This position is classified as “rotational” which means the incumbent is expected to rotate to another duty station upon completion of their tour of duty.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks, and will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles.
UNICEF is committed to promote the protection and safeguarding of all children.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
UNICEF does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing, or training).