Data Innovation Expert - Nature, Climate and Energy
Instructions to Applicants: Click on the "Apply now" button. Input your information in the appropriate Sections: personal information, language proficiency, education, resume and motivation. Upon completion of the first page, please hit "submit application" tab at the end of the page. Please ensure that CV or P11 and the Cover letter are combined in one file.
The following documents shall be required from the applicants:
Personal CV or P11, indicating all past positions held and their main underlying functions, their durations (month/year), the qualifications, as well as the contact details (email and telephone number) of the Candidate, and at least three (3) the most recent professional references of previous supervisors. References may also include peers.
A cover letter (maximum length: 1 page) indicating why the candidate considers him-/herself to be suitable for the position.
UNDP is the knowledge frontier organization for sustainable development in the UN Development System and serves as the integrator for collective action to realize the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). UNDP’s policy work is carried out through a network of advisors and specialists located at HQ, Regional and Country Office levels, to ensure that local knowledge and context specific expertise is linked to cutting-edge global perspectives and advocacy. In this context, UNDP provides its policy advisory and programme support functions through the Global Policy Network (GPN), a network of field-based and global technical expertise across a wide range of knowledge domains, in support of the signature solutions and organizational capabilities envisioned in the Strategic Plan. Within the GPN, the Bureau for Policy and Programme Support (BPPS) has the responsibility for developing all relevant policy and guidance to support the results of UNDP’s Strategic Plan and works closely with the Crisis Bureau (CB) that has the responsibility to guide and implement UNDP’s corporate crisis-related strategies and vision for crisis prevention, response and recovery. The Nature, Climate and Energy Team as part of the GPN, supports countries to promotes and scales up integrated whole-of-governance approaches and nature-based solutions that reduce poverty and inequalities, strengthen livelihoods and inclusive growth, mitigate conflict, forced migration and displacement, and promote more resilient governance systems that advance linked peace and security agendas.
The NCE Team works with governments, civil society, and private sector partners to integrate natural capital, environment and climate concerns into national and sector planning and inclusive growth policies; support country obligations under Multilateral Environmental Agreements; and implement the UN’s largest portfolio of in-country programming on environment, climate change, and energy. This multi-billion dollar portfolio encompasses: Biodiversity and Ecosystem Services including forests; Sustainable Land Management and Desertification including food and commodity systems; Water and Ocean Governance including SIDS; Climate Change Mitigation and Adaptation; Renewable and Modern Energy; Extractive Industries; Chemicals and Waste Management; Environmental Governance and Green/Circular Economy and SCP approaches. This work advances crosscutting themes on innovative finance, digital transformation, capacity development, human rights, gender equality, health, technology, and South-South learning.
In addition to UNDP’s bilateral partnerships on natural capital, environment and climate, UNDP is an accredited multilateral implementing agency of the Green Climate Fund (GCF), the Multilateral Fund (MLF), and the Global Environment Facility (GEF) which includes the Global Environment Facility Trust Fund (GEF Trust Fund); the Nagoya Protocol Implementation Fund (NPIF); the Least Developed Countries Fund (LDCF); and the Special Climate Change Fund (SCCF)). As part of UNDP’s partnership with these vertical funds, UNDP provides countries specialized integrated technical services for eligibility assessment, programme formulation, capacity development, policy
advice, technical assistance, training and technology transfer, mobilization of co-financing, implementation oversight, results management and evaluation, performance-based payments and knowledge management services.
UNDP has embarked upon a series of transformational efforts across its policy and programme, operational, and external relations areas under the auspices of a “#NextGenUNDP” effort. The organization is aiming to digitally transform itself in order to catalyze action for the achievement of the Strategic Plan. In line with the Digital Strategy 2019-2021, the NCE Team embarked on a road to accelerate digital transformation in collaboration with the Chief Digital Officer in the Executive Office, bringing digital technologies and data in to different levels of decision making processes and programming within the portfolio. NCE is working with multiple partners and stakeholders to advance user-friendly data analytics and visualization products to support national green recovery efforts and consultation processes, including through the PAGE project and in support of the upcoming Stockholm +50 Conference.
Within this overall background, UNDP is seeking a Data Innovation Expert to support the NCE on data coordination, data storytelling, analysis and visualization for nature, climate and energy related data. The Data Innovation Expert is expected to design, develop and manage interactive state-of-the-art data visualization products, dashboards and databases in coordination with stakeholders.
- The Data Innovation Expert will work from home;
- The Data Innovation Expert will report to, and be directly supervised by, the Digital Innovation Specialist, based in New York, USA;
- The Data Innovation Expert will be given access to relevant information necessary for the execution of the tasks under this assignment;
- The Data Innovation Expert will be responsible for providing her/his own work station (i.e. laptop, internet, phone, scanner/printer, etc.) and must have access to reliable internet connection;
- Given the global consultations to be undertaken during this assignment, the Data Innovation Expert is expected to be reasonably flexible with his/her availability for such consultations taking into consideration different time zones.
Duties and Responsibilities
Scope of Work
The objective of the assignment is to support the work of NCE on data analytics and visualization. The Data Innovation Expert is expected to assist with the following functions:
- Coordinate with internal and external stakeholders to understand their data analysis needs and manage data product pipelines;
- Facilitate workshops or ideation meetings;
- Conceptualize, design, and develop interactive data visualizations that make complex data more accessible, understandable, and actionable using software such as Power BI, Flourish and Tableau or with other programming languages;
- Propose data structures and develop databases, provide quality assurance;
- Perform data exploration and analysis of various data sets, including portfolio data and programmatic data based on request;
- Liaise with data providers to ensure input, clean and process data;
- Apply design thinking to daily work, support on producing quick mock ups, prototyping and building MVPs for new ideas;
- Work with other Data Innovation Experts and engineers in the team to find optimal technological and business solutions;
- Advise on cutting edge digital technologies and innovation processes, contribute to shaping and managing innovation projects and knowledge products.
- Demonstrates integrity by modelling the UN’s values and ethical
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Treats all people fairly without favouritism.
- Capable of working in a high- pressure environment with sharp and frequent deadlines, managing many tasks simultaneously;
- Excellent analytical and organizational skills;
- Exercises the highest level of responsibility and be able to handle confidential and politically sensitive issues in a responsible and mature manner.
- Works well in a team;
- Projects a positive image and is ready to take on a wide range of tasks;
- Focuses on results for the client;
- Welcomes constructive feedback.
Required Skills and Experience
Min. Academic Education
Master’s degree in a related field such as economics, international development, data science, energy, statistics, environmental management, or other relevant field is required.
Min. years of relevant
At least 5 year of relevant work experience in developing data analytics, data story telling and/or visualization products is required.
Required skills and competencies
Desired additional skills and competencies
Required Language(s) (at
Excellent oral and written communication skills in English languages is essential.
Knowledge of another UN language is an asset.