Research Associate, G6, FT, Beijing, China #109399
UNICEF China is looking for a seasoned candidate for the position of Research Associate at G6 level.
UNICEF works in 190 countries and territories to protect the rights of every child. UNICEF has spent 70 years working to improve the lives of children and their families. Defending children's rights throughout their lives requires a global presence, aiming to produce results and understand their effects. UNICEF believes all children have a right to survive, thrive and fulfill their potential – to the benefit of a better world.
For every child, a champion
UNICEF and China have a long history of collaboration. In 1947, China became the first country in Asia to welcome a partnership with UNICEF, and our first programme provided emergency relief services to children. UNICEF returned to China in 1979 and has since contributed to many of China’s significant developments for children.
UNICEF is also working with the Government of China to promote partnerships and South-South Cooperation between China and other developing countries for the benefit of the most disadvantaged children. Under the guidance of the Partnerships Specialist, and technical supervision of South-South cooperation colleagues the research associate is expected to engage in a variety of information gathering activities and research on selected policies, legislation, programmes and issues linked to South-South Cooperation and Partnerships in China and beyond and extract and translate this work in Chinese and English for programme related and advocacy work.
How can you make a difference?
We are now seeking committed and hardworking research associate to support our work on partnerships and South-South Cooperation between China and countries in Africa and Asia for the benefit of the most disadvantaged children. This entails:
- Providing technical translation and interpretation services as and when required on various occasions based on the programmatic, advocacy and representational needs of the office;
- Translating South-South cooperation project documents including but not limited to proposals, updates, reports and visibility materials;
- Providing summary translation of key materials, policy documents, UNICEF programme technical documents, from English to Chinese and vice versa, as needed.
- Providing research assistance on policy updates on issues related to South-South Cooperation and Partnerships between China and the world, and on specific issues as required by supervisor(s), utilizing and extracting material as needed from a variety of sources, including Chinese and international research databases, literature reviews, internet and other media, available studies and evaluations.
- Maintaining proper filing system of key reference materials and research/other documents both electronically and physically.
- Support South-South programme and other related communication materials preparation.
- Performing other related duties as assigned by the supervisor.
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
Completion of secondary education and a minimum of 6 years of relevant experience in the field of research, translation and interpretation is required. Professional and/or university courses related to the field of work are highly desirable.
- Experience in multi or bilateral organizations would be an asset
- Fluency in speaking, reading and writing of English and Mandarin, such that research and translation of technical content are accurate. Knowledge of another UN language is an asset
For every Child, you demonstrate...
- Respect for and adherence to UNICEF’s core values of care, respect, integrity, trust and accountability, and proven understanding and sensitivity to cultural nuances;
- Interpersonal skills; capacity to work within a multi-cultural setting and diverse working styles
- Drive for results, setting high standards for the quality of work;
- Capacity to think outside of the box and drive innovation, knowledge management and capacity building and ability to conduct research
- Strong communication skills, fluently and confidently gathering and expressing and writing opinions and information
View our full competency framework at
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks, and will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles. UNICEF is committed to promote the protection and safeguarding of all children.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.