IARC Central Administration Talent Pool
Lyons (United States of America)
PURPOSE OF THE TALENT POOL
The International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC), is the cancer research agency of the World Health Organization (WHO) and is based in Lyon France.
The purpose of this talent pool is for short term temporary and consultant contracts:
IARC is recruiting temporary staff to support with several short-term assignments in areas such as Administration, Program & Project Administration, Procurement, Finance and Publications.
IARC maintains a pool of candidates willing to accept short-term temporary contracts. Eligibility to the pool and subsequently contracts at the LY3 or LY4 level will depend on the candidate meeting the minimum requirements for the position, the terms of references of the assignment and the scores achieved in test and interview.
This post is subject to local recruitment and will be filled by persons residing in the local commuting area of Lyon and who already have the legal right to work in France by way of his/her nationality or currently held French residence/work permit.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES
The incumbent will provide support in one or more of the following work areas as appropriate to the level of the position and the needs, some possible duties and responsibilities may include a combination of the following according to IARC/WHO standards:
- Monitor correspondence, recommend deadlines, coordinate replies and draw attention to urgent and important matters;
- Coordinate and provide administrative support for meetings, conferences, workshops and other events, including planning agenda, ensuring logistical, travel and accommodation arrangements;
- Arrange appointments and maintain the supervisor’s calendar and receive visitors;
- Monitor the work unit’s accounts and prepare requests for expenditure authorization;
- Prepare reports for official documents; prepare cost estimates, support the preparation of program and budget and workplan documentation;
- Ensure the work unit’s filing and reference systems are maintained, update websites, databases and other information management systems;
- Monitor compliance with PMDS and other HR related tasks
PROGRAM & PROJECT ADMINISTRATION
- Provide assistance in support of planning and implementation activities/processes;
- Research, compile, analyze, summarize, and present information/data on specific programs/projects;
- Assist with the coordination of program/project planning and preparation; take necessary action to ensure project documents are completed and submitted to relevant parties for approval;
- Assist in the preparation, monitoring and analysis of the budget related aspects under the program/project;
- Assist in the monitoring and evaluation of programs/projects; categorize, update, track and analyse data related to programs/projects;
- Serve as focal point for coordination of program/project implementation activities, involving extensive liaison with a diverse organizational units to initiate requests, prepare standard terms of reference against program/project objectives, obtain necessary clearances, process and follow-up on administrative and financial actions and resolve issues related to project implementation;
- Prepare, maintain and update files (electronic and paper) and internal databases;
- Draft correspondence and communications related to program/project administration.
- Review, record and prioritize purchasing requests;
- Provide assistance to requisitioners in preparing scope of work and specifications of goods and services;
- Propose product substitutions consistent with requirements to achieve cost savings;
- Determine the availability of funding sources;
- Identify and recommend sources of procurement;
- Produce tender documents;
- Prepare abstracts of offers and compile data contained in quotations, proposals and bids to determine the best supplier;
- Participate in discussions and meetings relating to the agreeing terms and conditions of orders;
- Finalize purchase orders and contracts for approval;
- Resolve issues/problems related to delivered goods, including discrepancies between purchase orders and items/quantities shipped or received;
- Maintain relevant internal databases and files;
- Research, retrieve and present information of new products and equipment on the market;
- Assist in the collection of data and preparation of cost estimates and budget proposals in terms of staff and non-staff requirements for regular budget and extra-budgetary resources;
- Support the monitoring of budget implementation and performance;
- Ensure that requisitions for goods and services are in line with authorized budgets and the IARC/WHO financial rules and regulations;
- Assist in reviewing requests for creation and extension of positions as well as requests for recruitment;
- Assist in the execution of cost recovery in line with established agreements and policies;
- Perform certifying functions of financial transactions as per delegation;
- Process financial documents in line with IARC/WHO financial rules and regulations;
- Review and analysis of various accounting data;
- Scrutinize supporting documents for completeness, accuracy and validity of requests in line with applicable policies, procedure, rules and regulations;
- Verify accuracy of postings and process corrections as appropriate;
- Analyze open item managed accounts in the ERP system and initiate corrective action;
- Perform approval functions of financial transactions as per delegation.
- Prepare and analyze reports with a view to identify anomalies and recommend corrective action as appropriate;
- Perform data extraction and prepare various reports for management review;
- Respond to queries and draft correspondence in a timely and effective manner;
- Ensure that accurate and complete accounting, reporting and internal control systems are in place and functioning;
- Ensure that all relevant records and audit trails are maintained;
- Provide direct administrative support to the Service and Section Chiefs including management and support of meetings;
- Produce documents for reproduction in accordance with existing guidelines, in addition to preparing publications in relevant software as needed for reproduction in hard copy and electronic dissemination;
- Perform proof-reading functions;
- Ensure that all manuscript elements have been properly included and cross-linked, as appropriate; numerical data have been correctly transcribed; obvious errors, discrepancies or incongruities as to content, format and typography have been corrected;
- Compile and scope complex and large documents against the original text, according to required format;
- Update and maintain macros, create templates and models as needed;
- Provide text processing services to other departments as required.
Graduation from secondary school or equivalent, and subsequent training in the field of specialization with possession of a diploma (DUT, BTS, or equivalent or higher) in field/s relevant to the position.
Experience in administrative support fields, as related to the work:
LY3: At least 2 years of relevant practical experience of the above.
LY4: At least 3 years of relevant practical experience of the above.
Prior experience in one or more of the following:
- Intergovernmental Organizations, UN Common System or similar organizations.
- Scientific research or public health setting.
- Multicultural work environment.
Essential: Expert knowledge of English or French with intermediate knowledge of the other language are required.
Desirable: Intermediate knowledge of another UN language would be an asset
- Excellent administrative, organizational, and time-management skills.
- Effective communication skills and ability to work well as part of a multicultural team.
- High level of accuracy and attention to detail.
- Ability to work to deadlines.
- Prior use of SAP or other ERP systems.
Knowing and managing yourself
Moving forward in a changing environment
Various levels of remuneration, depending on the level of work matter and specific assignment.
Duration of contract will depend on the needs of the Branch.
The fixed remuneration at LY3 and LY4 grades currently amounts to the following, expressed net of income tax but before deduction of the employee share contributions for mandatory participation in the United Nations Joint Staff Pension Fund and in the Organization’s private insurance plans covering health, accident, illness and disability:
LY3 grade: EUR 2,833 per month
LY4 grade: EUR 3,145 per month
Other benefits include 6 weeks of annual leave and allowances for dependent family members, prorated accordingly
Employment status is that of international civil servant.
Note: due to the legal status of WHO/IARC as an international organization, its staff do not contribute to and do not generate benefits in French mandatory schemes for health insurance (“assurance maladie”), pension (“assurance vieillesse/retraite or unemployment (“Pôle-Emploi”) throughout their period of employment with the Agency.
- We only accept applications submitted via our online recruitment tool, which should be filled out in English and include a cover letter. Application profiles should include the details of all work experiences to date (full career details, including paid internships).
- Only candidates under serious consideration will be contacted for assessment and interview (to be held remotely).
- This vacancy notice may be used to fill other similar positions at the same grade level.
- Any appointment/extension of appointment is subject to IARC/WHO Staff Regulations, Staff Rules and Manual.
WHO/IARC is committed to workforce diversity and has a smoke-free environment and does not recruit smokers or users of any form of tobacco.