Managing editor for the new platform of the Peace Building in Lebanon News Supplement.
The UNDP “Peace Building in Lebanon” project aims at enhancing mutual understanding and promoting social cohesion by (1) addressing root causes of conflict in Lebanon, (2) addressing the impact of the Syrian crisis on social stability in Lebanon; and (3) supporting different groups from local leaders and local actors, educators, journalists, youth and civil society activists, in developing medium and long-term strategies for peace building, crisis management and conflict prevention.
The project focuses on addressing the new challenges to civil peace and peace building in the country posed by the Syrian crisis throughout the following four outputs:
1.Education promoting social cohesion supported;
2.Media empowered to promote balanced and conflict sensitive media coverage;
3. Local level peace building strategies to mitigate tensions developed in selected conflict prone areas of Lebanon hosting Syrian refugees;
4. NGO platform promoting nation-wide truth and reconciliation supported ex-fighters’ role in promoting peace building supported.
Since 2012, UNDP has been supporting the participation of many journalists, writers, senior and well-known media professionals, researchers and artists residing in Lebanon, in its published “Peace Building in Lebanon” News Supplements.
These supplements provide hate-free media spaces and promote rational discourse in addressing controversial topics. They also encourage journalists, writers and media practitioners residing in Lebanon to adopt objective approaches free of stereotyping and misconceptions, and to offer conflict-sensitive media coverage. In a country known for its polarization, these supplements succeeded in bringing together participants from different backgrounds using one common platform to debate issues in a constructive way.
During several discussion sessions, participants shared recommendations regarding turning the printed supplement into an electronic version with a dedicated website to the supplement itself where audio-visual materials can be shared in addition to live feed and live broadcast section from the discussion sessions.
In 2021, UNDP will cease the print publication of the supplement and will shift to an online digital platform.
On this platform/website, UNDP will offer a space to different topics including written articles, storytelling video reports, interviews, animation videos, and selected media and TV reports prepared by prominent journalists from local TV stations.
In addition, and for this purpose, UNDP will partner with New TV on the content of 2 short reportages for each issue. Thus, reporters from New TV will be working on these reportages with the production house and will be in charge of the content.
In this context, UNDP intends to procure the services of a managing editor for the new platform of the Peace Building News Supplement. The Managing Editor will develop and manage the supplement’s web content according to the key messaging strategies and time schedules, by managing the team of writers and the technical team. He/she will facilitate the integration of communications across other platforms (social media & audiovisual productions).
Duties and Responsibilities
The consultant is required as a managing editor for the platform of the Peace Building in Lebanon news supplement of 2021/22 as follows:
- Prepare a concept note for each issue that includes the different topics of the articles, storytelling reports, videos, podcasts to be published and/or broadcasted.
- Prepare a storyboard for the different topics of topics of the articles, storytelling reports, videos, podcasts to be published and/or broadcasted.
- Liaise with different media outlets to choose contributors for the different topics.
- Prepare the call for articles to be posted on UNDP social media pages.
- Liaise and closely coordinate with the different partners of the supplement on the content, publication, and broadcast of the articles, storytelling videos, interviews, discussion sessions, live stories, and podcasts.
- Liaise and closely coordinate with the project manager and communication and media officer on the editing and publication process.
- Prepare, create, and manage a detailed content calendar for the month of publication to set the dates of the topics publication and social media posts accordingly. The content calendar is to be delivered across key channel (web, UNDP social media platforms, partners).
- Prepare a communication kit for the posts on UNDP and the partners social media pages and/or platforms.
- Monitor and optimize performance to meet traffic, engagement and growth targets.
- Liaise and closely coordinate with the journalists.
- Liaise and closely coordinate with the influencer.
- Liaise and closely coordinate with the videographer on producing the interviews, storytelling reports, and teasers.
- Liaise and closely coordinate with the illustrator on designing the visualized data, illustrations, and social media posts.
- Liaise and closely coordinate with the animator on producing the animation video.
- Control schedules and enforce deadlines (for journalists, videographer, animator, illustrator).
- Upload the articles, videos, illustrations on the website.
- Edit and proofread the English, Arabic, and French articles.
- Liaise and closely coordinate with the translators and editors.
- Fluency in English, Arabic, and French.
Required Skills and Experience
- At least bachelor’s degree in related field to media, journalism, communication, or any other related field;
Years of Experience:
- A minimum of 3 years of relevant experience in a similar supervisory role;
- A minimum of 3 years in managing a team of journalists; and
- A minimum of 2 years in reporting and editing.
How to apply:The consultancy is open for all national consultants who meet the selection criteria and propose a competitive fee. Interested consultants are requested to apply only through this UNDP jobs portal.Submissions through any other media will not be considered.The application must include all of the following documents:1. P11,2. Annex 3 (Offerors Letter) and3. Financial proposalAll files shall be submitted in one single document and uploaded as word or PDF file to the UNDP job site.It has been observed that bidders don’t submit all requested documents and thus reducing their chance to be selected for a contract with UNDP. before you submit your offer please revise that the application is complete and comprises all documents.Incomplete applications will not be considered.