Economist (Trade and Markets)
Juba (South Sudan)
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please note that Closure Date and Time displayed above are based on date and time settings of your personal device
The length of appointment for internal FAO candidates will be established in accordance with applicable policies pertaining to the extension of appointments
• FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality, background and culture
• Qualified female applicants, qualified nationals of non-and under-represented member nations and person with disabilities are encouraged to apply
• Everyone who works for FAO is required to adhere to the highest standards of integrity and professional conduct, and to uphold our values. FAO has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and FAO, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination.
• All selected candidates will undergo rigorous reference and background checks
• All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
• The incumbent may be re-assigned to different activities and/or duty stations depending on the evolving needs of the Organization.
The FAO country office, which is headed by an FAO Representative, is responsible for assisting the government to develop policies, programmes and projects to achieve food security and to reduce hunger and malnutrition, develop the agriculture, livestock, fisheries and forestry sectors, and use their environmental and natural resources in a sustainable manner. The country office is responsible for leading FAO's response to country priorities for food security, agriculture and rural development through the identification, planning and implementation of FAO's priority of actions. It ensures a multidisciplinary approach to programmes, in collaboration with offices and divisions at headquarters; develops, promotes and oversees FAO's strategic response to the country along with regional priorities.
The FAO Representation in South Sudan encompasses five main streams: Emergency and Resilience, Natural Resources and Sustainable Production, Corporate and Operational Support, Economic and Social Development, and Partnership and Outreach. The incumbent as Head of the Trade and Markets unit will perform activities related to agribusiness and Value Chain Development (VCD). He/she will mainly contribute to the country's programme and portfolio by providing leadership in the management of Trade and Market related activities.
The Economist (Trade and Markets) reports to the Programme Officer under the overall guidance of the FAO Representative.
Providing technical inputs and advice on national policies and strategies affecting sustainable food security, agricultural development, poverty reduction and rural development, with particular focus on trade policy, markets and value chain issues. The Economist (Trade and Markets) will lead the FAO South Sudan Markets and Trade unit in developing and implementation Value Chain Development (VCD) models that will enhance better production, value addition, access to markets, better income and better nutrition for the smallholder farmers, livestock keepers and fisher folks. S/he will identify and analyze key value chains, develop investment proposals and lead implementation of such projects. S/he will also provide support on the coordination of national VCD related projects with other national and regional development partners and projects.
Research and analysis of information, data and statistics, and the maintenance and updating of related tools, methodologies, and/or databases to support the delivery of programme products, projects, publications, and services.
• Researches and analyses [agricultural, economic, trade, market, social, environmental, nutrition/food composition and/or gender related] data, statistics and information to provide technical, statistical and/or policy related information and analysis to support the delivery of economic and social development programmes work, products, projects, publications and services;
• Produces a variety of technical reports and input for technical documents, divisional publications and/or web pages;
• Provides technical, statistical, and/or analytical services on various studies, projects, and/or assessments and provides technical backstopping to field projects;
• Participates in the development of improved/updated technical, statistical and/or analytical tools, methodologies, systems, databases, and/or key social/ economic/ environmental/ nutritional and/or early warning indicators, etc.;
• Participates on multidisciplinary teams, collaborates with other divisions/offices and agencies on work groups and committees and promotes best practices;
• Collaborates in capacity development activities involving the planning and organizing of training workshops, seminars, and major meetings and the preparation of related information, materials, online tools and information kits;
• Promotes knowledge sharing and best practices at international meetings and conferences and influences partners in stakeholder consultations;
• Participates in resource mobilization activities.
• Undertakes desk research and market analysis on agricultural value chains across the country and beyond, including market and supply side assessments of identified products;
• Identifies and prepares value chain agribusiness models, development plans and investment proposals for identified opportunities in collaboration with other technical units in the country office and with Subregional trade and markets lead;
• Provides technical and coordination support to ongoing VCD project and programme activities;
• Provides support in the preparation and delivery of training modules for value chain development and business modelling;
• Supports private sector investment in embedded services along the value chain, expansion to rural areas, and other innovative solutions;
• Liaises with various government departments, especially the Directorate of Cooperatives and National Bureau of Standards in supporting groups at various levels of value chain to transform into organized groups to enhance their business and promote food safety standards;
• Supports the development of monitoring and evaluation tools to strengthen data collection to track and guide VCD implementation activities;
• Provides support in the development of communications and visibility activities for FAO’s VCD methodology and other related activities;
• Promotes knowledge sharing and best practices on various platforms including social media, national and international meetings and conferences;
• Performs other duties as required.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
• Advanced university degree in agricultural economics, economics, social science or a related field;
• Five years of relevant experience in quantitative economic analysis of agricultural markets, trade and policies, including market systems development, training, capacity building, mentorship; experience in agriculture, food security, post-harvest handling and processing, and/or market access;
• Working knowledge of English and limited knowledge of another FAO official language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish).
• Results Focus
• Building Effective Relationships
• Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
• Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions is desirable;
• Extent and relevance of experience and knowledge in analysis of commodity markets and policies;
• Depth of familiarity with market systems development framework, including tools, strategies, and approaches
• Extent and relevance of experience in the analysis and formulation of VCD for sustainability improvement in Markets and Trade sector;
• Ability to analyse complex food and market systems issues in fragile states;
• Strong training design, training delivery, and facilitation skills;
• Extent and relevance of experience in the formulation, monitoring and appraisal of commodity development projects;
• Extent and relevance of experience in preparing analytical and policy relevant special studies concerning Value Chain Development.