Agricultural Extension Officer
• FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality, background and culture
• Qualified female applicants, qualified nationals of non-and under-represented member nations and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply
• Everyone who works for FAO is required to adhere to the highest standards of integrity and professional conduct, and to uphold our values. FAO has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and FAO, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination.
• All selected candidates will undergo rigorous reference and background checks
• All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
• The incumbent may be re-assigned to different activities and/or duty stations depending on the evolving needs of the Organization.
The Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) supports the transformation to More efficient, inclusive, resilient and sustainable agri-food systems, for Better production, Better nutrition, a Better environment and a Better life, leaving no one behind.
The post is located in the Research and Extension Unit (OINR) of the Office of Innovation. The Unit supports countries in assessing and transforming their agricultural innovation systems (AIS), national agricultural research systems and agricultural extension and advisory services (EAS) to meet the current and future challenges. The activities of the Unit include development of tools, methods and guidelines for assessment of national research, extension and advisory systems, policy advice, capacity development, organizing expert consultations on emerging issues, conduct of technical studies, sharing of technologies and practices, and providing technical support for preparation and implementation of projects/programmes. The Unit also serves as FAO's technical focal point for global fora, institutions/organizations of research and extension and provides the secretariat for Tropical Agriculture Platform (TAP).
The Agricultural Extension Officer reports to the Senior Agricultural Officer/Head, Research and Extension Unit, OINR and works in close collaboration with technical staff working in the Unit.
Agricultural Extension and Advisory Service Systems, Agricultural Research and Innovation Systems, Organizational Reform, Capacity Development, Research, Extension and Development Linkages.
Research, technical analysis, and project related services to support the delivery of programme projects, products, and services.
• Researches and analyzes technical, social, economic, environmental, institutional, and technology related information, data and statistics and/or related policy issues to support the delivery of programme projects, products and services.
• Produces a variety of technical information, data, statistics and reports as well as input for technical documents and web pages.
• Provides technical support/analysis to various assessments, studies and initiatives and provides technical backstopping to field projects.
• Collaborates in the development of improved/updated tools, systems, processes, and databases.
• Participates on multi-disciplinary teams, and/or leads working groups/teams collaborates with other departments and agencies on work groups and committees and promotes best practices.
• Collaborates in, provides technical backstopping to and ensures the quality / effectiveness of capacity development activities within member countries such as policy support, organizational development and individual learning events including preparation of related information, learning materials, on-line tools.
• Promotes knowledge sharing and best practices at international meetings and conferences and influences partners in stakeholder consultations.
• Supports resource mobilization activities in accordance with the FAO Corporate strategy.
• Contributes to the promotion and implementation of extension reforms and capacity development for extension/advisory services with special attention to demand-led, pluralistic, decentralized, market-oriented, and participatory approaches that meet the diverse needs of smallholder and rural people, especially women and marginal groups.
• Formulates, implements and provides technical support to projects that strengthen agricultural/rural extension and capacity development of agricultural innovation systems for transformation to sustainable agri-food systems.
• Prepares advocacy materials, knowledge products, training materials, tools and policy documents to support the strengthening of agricultural extension and advisory services systems and agricultural innovation systems and support services.
• Provides technical advice on design elements to strengthen and reform extension systems including modernization of extension and advisory systems by integrating digital extension services.
• Provides support in the organization and delivery of technical workshops, consultations, seminars and training sessions on conceptual and practical aspects of extension and rural knowledge institution improvements.
• Contributes to the preparation of studies, position papers and conceptual frameworks that strengthen extension systems and agriculture innovation systems.
• Maintains networks of collaboration with technical specialists to gather information and promote awareness of technical issues to improve extension and advisory services.
• Performs other related duties as required.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
• Advanced university degree in Extension, Agricultural Sciences, Rural development or a related field.
• Five years of relevant experience inplanning, organization, and execution of agricultural/rural extension, rural development or agriculture innovation system programmes and activities related to the needs of developing countries.
• Working knowledge of English and limited knowledge of another FAO official language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish).
• Results Focus
• Building Effective Relationships
• Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
• Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions is desirable.
• Work experience in planning, developing, managing and evaluating agricultural/rural extension systems in developing countries.
• Extent and relevance of experience and knowledge in advisory capacity, policy development and reform in the fields of agriculture extension/advisory services and agriculture innovation systems and related services.
• Extent and relevance of experience and knowledge in institutional development of extension systems, programme/project identification, formulation, implementation and evaluation in developing countries.
• Ability to critically analyze extension and advisory services systems and prepare clear and concise technical studies and reports.
• Ability to plan, organize, and conduct technical meetings and training activities related to agricultural extension and advisory services.
• Working knowledge of another FAO language