Call Centre Officer
Background: GiveDirectly is driving a re-evaluation of the assumptions underlying international philanthropy with a provocative model: we deliver donations directly to the extreme poor and let them decide what to do with them. This approach builds on two converging trends: the rapid spread of electronic last-mile payments solutions in the emerging markets, and the large body of experimental evidence showing that direct transfers are as or more cost-effective at reducing poverty than more traditional, top-down approaches. GiveDirectly’s field operations utilize state-of-the-art technology and business processes to deliver transfers securely, efficiently, and transparently. Our unorthodox approach – allowing the poor, and not the donor, to choose where they invest – has prompted debate in the popular press and among policy makers. GiveDirectly has been featured on NPR’s This American Life, and in Foreign Affairs, The Economist, and The New York Times. It was named one of the Top 10 Most Innovative Companies in Finance by FastCompany, one of the 25 Most Audacious Companies by Inc., and one of GiveWell’s top-rated charities for 4 years running.
Role Overview: The Call Centre Officer is the front-line of interaction with recipients after they have received their transfers. They answer the hotline and resolve recipient’s questions and problems, and call recipients to administer follow up surveys, collecting data for the improvement of the program.
Call Centre Officer responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following duties:
- Follow up surveys: call recipients to administer surveys over the phone, to collect data used to improve the program and uncover any recipient problems.
- Hotline calls: answer the phone as recipients call in with questions or concerns, answering their questions and escalating any problems as necessary.
- Registration problem resolution: call the recipients who have not registered with Airtel money or who have registered with the wrong name(s), and advise them on how to register.
- Adverse Events Resolution: assist / advise recipients who have reported problems related to the program.
- A given Call Centre Officer may participate in these activities to varying degrees depending on the organization’s needs.
- A Call Centre Officer may be rotated through these responsibilities in order to foster professional development and growth.
The Call Centre Officer will play a critical day-to-day role in delivering GiveDirectly’s gold-standard cash transfer product to donors and recipients. For that reason, the suitable candidate for this position will:
- The ideal candidate for the GiveDirectly Field Officer job opportunity must hold a Diploma or a Degree in a relevant field is an added advantage.
- One to two years' experience in the field working with vulnerable communities
- Must possess work/language proficiency in Portuguese, Englih and Sena
- Computer and mobile device data entry knowledge and skills and good typing skills.
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to represent the organization effectively to external parties.
- Have ability to exercise patience and good judgment in resolving recipient problems
- Must be able to work in and within teams
- Possess high-quality problem solving, work ethic and a strong commitment to GiveDirectly’s mission and model.
- Good time-management skills
- Possess the ability to conduct and support recipient surveys and associated processes
- Empathy, honesty, and the highest standards of integrity
- Experience in a call centre an added advantage
***GD is committed to observing all local, national and international laws that protect children, vulnerable adults, and basic human rights of all. GD is committed to a policy of “zero tolerance for sexual exploitation, abuse, and harassment (SEAH)” and expects anyone who works for GD to uphold the protection and safeguarding of our recipients as a priority.