Office Assistant Secretary (Temporary positions)
The recruitment policy of the WTO is to seek to attract and retain staff members offering the highest standards of competence, efficiency and integrity. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, the WTO gives full regard to merit and diversity.
The WTO is seeking to fill a number of temporary Office Assistant/Secretary positions at grades 3 and 4 to work in various Divisions as and when necessary.
Under the supervision of the Administrative Assistant and senior staff, the incumbent of the position is expected to:
1. Draft basic correspondence, manage emails, screen and respond to telephone calls as well as maintain filing systems.
2. Carry out a range of administrative tasks supporting the divisional activities, assisting with the organization of official meetings and conferences which may include meeting room reservations, preparation and maintenance of participant lists, preparation of relevant meeting documents, preparatory work for missions including logistics and follow-up on mission reports.
3. Assist in the preparation of divisional documents and publications, including formatting, editing and proofreading.
4. Organize and manage files and records relating to divisional activities and respond to requests for information from other Divisions within the WTO and outside bodies.
5. Provide back-up support in the absence of the Administrative Assistant and other support staff, carrying out tasks as assigned.
Completion of secondary school education. Formal training as secretary/office assistant would be highly desirable.
Knowledge and Skills:
Technical Knowledge and Skills:
Excellent speaking and writing skills in English, including the ability to draft correspondence, edit and proofread. Very good knowledge of French and/or Spanish would be considered an advantage.
Knowledge of the MS Office package (excellent MS Word, basic MS Excel, MS PowerPoint an asset). Ability to format documents according to established (organizational) guidelines.
Familiarity with the use of virtual meeting platforms (e.g. Microsoft Teams, Zoom, WebEx, etc.)
Accuracy and attention to detail; ability to handle a large volume of work accurately under pressure and strict deadlines; ability to plan and organize work establishing a systematic course of action for self or others to ensure accomplishment of a specific objective.
The following interpersonal capabilities are also required: good team-working skills; thoroughness in accomplishing tasks; positive attitude towards change and willingness to learn new ways to accomplish work activities; ability to adapt behaviour and approach when necessary to achieve a goal; initiative to solve problems and meet objectives; ability to work effectively with people of different national and cultural backgrounds; courtesy, tact and discretion.
At least two years of secretarial/administrative experience, preferably in an international environment.
Excellent command of English, including ability to draft, edit and proofread documents in English (C1 level or above in the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR)). Very good knowledge of French and/or Spanish (B2 level or above in the CEFR) would be considered an advantage.
Only applications from nationals of WTO Members will be accepted.
The WTO may use various communication technologies such as video or teleconference for the assessment and evaluation of candidates. The recruitment process may also involve the use of various forms of testing, assessment centres, interviews and reference checks.
Applicants may be required to sit a written examination.
Applicants will be contacted directly if selected for an interview.
All applicants are encouraged to apply online as soon as possible after the vacancy has been posted and well before the closing date – Geneva (Switzerland) time – stated in the vacancy announcement.
PLEASE NOTE THAT APPLICATIONS RECEIVED AFTER THE CLOSING DATE WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.
The WTO is a non-smoking environment.