This position is located in the Media and Communications Branch, Division of Communication and Strategic Partnerships (DCS). The Content and Editorial Adviser plays a lead role in the team, reporting to and working closely with the Chief of the Media and Communications Branch, managing the editorial and multimedia team and working collaboratively with senior leaders throughout the organization.
How You Can Make a Difference:
UNFPA is the lead UN agency for delivering a world where every pregnancy is wanted, every childbirth is safe and every young person's potential is fulfilled. UNFPA’s strategic plan aims for three transformative results: to end preventable maternal deaths; end unmet need for family planning; and end gender-based violence and harmful practices.
In a world where fundamental human rights are at risk, we need principled and ethical staff, who will defend sexual and reproductive health and rights with full conviction.
UNFPA is seeking candidates who can help us deliver and raise visibility about our high-impact programmes, who are exceptional in how they manage the resources entrusted to them, and who know how to promote the mission of an international organization and protect its reputation.
We are looking for a seasoned, strategic thinker who can play a lead role in developing a new audience-centric content strategy building off of the broader communications strategy. A deep understanding of different content types, marketing and communications tactics will help ensure complementarity with channel and audience engagement strategies.
This individual will also be responsible for managing the production of UNFPA’s annual flagship State of World Population report from conceptualization to global launch. The candidate will work closely with editorial colleagues, internal and external researchers, experts, writers as well as specialized vendors as needed. Advising on other critical projects, the candidate will also help draft messaging and brand / campaign narratives and oversee/ write/ edit a range of content products.
You would be a good fit for this role if you have substantive experience building a complex organization’s brand through the effective use of content. You are strategic and a creative problem-solver, with specialized skills in writing and editing. A talented project and people leader who cares, collaborates, co-creates and inspires.
Qualifications and Experience
An advanced university degree in Communication, Journalism, the Humanities, Marketing, Social Sciences or equivalent
Knowledge and Experience:
• A minimum of ten years professional experience, including as a team leader
• Proven ability to create and implement content strategies for global organizations that drive reach and reputation among a range of diverse audiences, across multiple types of channels
• Superior writing and editing skills with a proven ability to manage complex editorial projects in a fast-paced, matrixed organization
• Hands-on expertise and creative spark to develop and oversee the development of engaging editorial & multimedia content designed for diverse channels and audiences
• Understanding of a wide range of marketing tactics and skill sets
• Strong verbal, listening and presentation skills
• A keen understanding and working knowledge of the SRHR landscape, gender and human rights issues, humanitarian settings, activism, and/or purpose-led programming
• Demonstrated ability to build relationships at all levels in an multi-cultural environment
• Proven ability to lead and inspire, exhibit integrity and empathy, be a team player with initiative
Highest level of fluency in written and spoken English is required. Working knowledge of French, Spanish or other UN official language is an asset.
To view the complete job description and apply to this position, click "Apply Now" below.