This position is located within the Content and Editorial Team in the Media and Communications Branch, Division of Communication and Strategic Partnerships (DCS) and reports directly to the Content and Editorial Adviser.
How You Can Make a Difference:
UNFPA is the lead UN agency for delivering a world where every pregnancy is wanted, every childbirth is safe and every young person's potential is fulfilled. UNFPA’s strategic plan aims for three transformative results: to end preventable maternal deaths; end unmet need for family planning; and end gender-based violence and harmful practices.
In a world where fundamental human rights are at risk, we need principled and ethical staff, who will defend sexual and reproductive health and rights with full conviction.
UNFPA is seeking candidates who can help us deliver and raise visibility about our high-impact programmes, who are exceptional in how they manage the resources entrusted to them, and who know how to promote the mission of an international organization and protect its reputation.
We are looking for an Editorial Specialist who can play a lead role in curating, creating, and overseeing the development of engaging content in support of our communications and advocacy around sexual and reproductive health and rights.
Great stories and compelling content are the lifeblood of UNFPA communications. The Editorial Specialist will collaborate with the broader team to create effective communications campaigns and /or products, with a particular focus on ensuring that the messaging is effective and appropriate for the audience. This post will also be responsible for strategic messaging, content curation and production, and for ensuring that the written content s/he oversees meets the highest editorial standards, builds the UNFPA brand and helps achieve institution-wide communications objectives. The Editorial Specialist will also play a central role in the development of UNFPA’s flagship publications, the State of World Population and the annual report.
You would be a good fit for this role if you are a top-notch writer and editor and are also a strategic thinker who understands the many interconnected processes that go into creating effective content that builds brands.
Qualifications and Experience
An advanced university degree in Communication, Journalism, the Humanities, Marketing, Social Sciences or equivalent.
Knowledge and Experience:
• Minimum of seven years of relevant professional work experience in creating content in a fast-paced non-profit or commercial environment
• Superior writing and editing skills, working both with technical and non-technical content
• Demonstrated ability to turn content into powerful stories, collaborating with a global network of communicators in a multi-cultural environment
• Hands-on expertise and creative flair to develop compelling content for diverse audiences
• Experience working with researchers and technical experts
• Excellent organizational, project management and planning skills
• Demonstrated experience developing content around issues of sexual and reproductive health and rights
Highest level of fluency in written and spoken English is required. Working knowledge of French, Spanish or other UN official language is an asset.
To view the complete job description and apply to this position, click "Apply Now" below.