Consultant - Copy Editor (Retainer)
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
In Indonesia, UN Women works with the government, civil society organizations, academia, the media, the public and private sectors to address national priorities of gender equality and women’s empowerment. Placing the advancement of women’s rights at the centre of our work, UN Women Indonesia focuses on (1) women, peace, and security (2) ending violence against women (3) women’s economic empowerment. Furthermore, UN Women coordinates and promotes the UN system’s joint work in advancing gender equality.
UN Women Indonesia Country Office is looking for a Consultant to provide copy editing service on UN Women publications as needed. The Consultant will not be engaged on a full-time basis but only when required by the UN Women Indonesia Country Office.
Duties and Responsibilities
Objective of the Assignment
The copy editor will be responsible for editorial services, such as proof-reading documents related to programme or communication needs and copyediting briefs or summaries. The copy editor will be required to have her/his own technical and software-based equipment to deliver the services specified in this ToR.
Scope of Work
The consultant will work under supervision from the Advocacy and Communication Officer of UN Women Indonesia and will perform the following tasks:
- Provide editing, proof-reading, and rewriting (as necessary) services for knowledge products and publications.
- Make necessary revisions based on the UN editorial style manual.
- The editor will be responsible for the following tasks:
- Copyediting, proofreading, identifying in gaps in the information, restructuring and rewriting in collaboration with the project team if required.
- Correct spelling mistakes, typos and reflect appropriate usage of words with correct grammar and syntax.
- Ensure consistent style and formatting throughout the document.
- Ensure correct use of English while maintaining the authors’ writing style.
- Ensure coherence and consistency in writing.
- Ensure appropriate positioning and numbering of boxes, figures and tables.
- Ensure consistent font (s) – as relevant to headings and text.
- Ensure appropriate use of italicized and bolded words.
- Ensure all footnotes, sources, references are complete and consistent.
- Thoroughly review annexes (people consulted, bibliography, etc) as per UN publication guidelines.
- Prepare a complete table of Contents and Acronyms if needed.
- Proofread designed layout files to ensure completeness.
- Integrity: Demonstrates consistency in upholding and promoting the values of UN Women in actions and decisions, in line with the UN Code of Conduct.
- Cultural sensitivity and valuing diversity: Demonstrate an appreciation of the multicultural nature of the organization and the diversity of its staff; and demonstrate an international outlook, appreciating difference in values and learning from cultural diversity.
- Ethics and Values: Demonstrate and safeguard ethics and integrity.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s Degree preferably in English Literature, Journalism, or related field; or
- Bachelor's degree can be substituted in lieu of Masters with substantial additional years of experience in the field of journalism, professional editing, content development and/or professional training/ diplomas etc.
- At least 5 years of professional work experience in editing, copyediting, and proofreading.
- Proven record in editing knowledge products and communications materials for external audience, including but not limited to reports, publications, news articles, feature stories, policy briefs, and advocacy notes.
- Experience in writing and editing for international development and/or other UN agency documents is an asset.
- Familiarity with gender equality and women’s issues is desired.
Language and Other Requirements
- Native-level proficiency in oral and written English.
- Computer literacy.
SUBMISSION OF APPLICATION
Interested candidates are requested to submit an electronic application no later than 24 October 2021.
Submission of package
- Letter of Interest containing the statement on candidate’s experience in the field of recruitment
- Updated CV.
- A sample portfolio consisting of three latest of editing and writing samples ideally on subjects related to gender, women’s empowerment and/or international development.
- Copy of education degree obtained.
- P11 including past experience in similar assignments; can be downloaded at https://asiapacific.unwomen.org/en/about-us/jobs
- Financial proposal. The financial proposal shall specify a daily rate (inclusive of any costs as communication, administrative costs…).
All applications must include a financial proposal. Applications without financial proposal will be treated as incomplete and will not be considered for further processing.