CONSULTANT - FRENCH EDITOR
Parent Sector : Natural Sciences Sector (SC)
Duty Station: Perugia
Job Family: Natural Sciences
Type of contract : Non Staff
Duration of contract : From 7 to 11 months
Recruitment open to : External candidates
Application Deadline (Midnight Paris Time) : 01-NOV-2021
UNESCO Core Values: Commitment to the Organization, Integrity, Respect for Diversity, Professionalism
OVERVIEW OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE POST
Within the framework of the UNESCO and the Italian Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) for the "UNESCO World Water Assessment Programme - WWAP", under the overall supervision of the WWAP Coordinator and the direct supervision of the WWDR Process Coordinator, in close collaboration with all members of the WWAP Secretariat, the Individual Specialist is requested to:
1. Oversee the editorial and layout process of the French version of the United Nations World Water Development Report 2022: Goundwater: Making invisible visible - WWDR 2022:
i. Finalize the terms of reference for translating services in coordination with the WWDR Process Coordinator and the Publications Assistants;
ii. Support the Programme Officer during the selection process;
iii. Send the final text of the WWDR 2022, its Executive Summary and Facts and Figures for translation (manuscript and text embedded in figures and tables ) with clear instructions;
iv. Act as focal point with the translation company during the whole translation process; liaise with the translation company for all relevant technical queries (including but not limited to the preparation of the list of relevant/useful references/links and list of specific terminology if needed);
v. Liaise with the graphic designer and ensure tha tthe template of the English version is followed and the layout version of the WWDR 2022 (FR), Executive Summary (FR) and Facts and Figures (FR) are finalized in time for ISBN application as per production schedule already set by WWAP Secretariat; and
vi. Prepare and send ready-to-print files - inclduing the file for USB keys - to the WWDR Process Coordinator and the Publications Assistant in time for printing as per production schedule already set by WWAP Secretariat.
2. Copyedit and proofread the French translation of the WWDR 2022, its Executive Summary and Facts and Figures in French before and after the layout; edit and retranslate the text where necessary (approximate word count, complete Report: 112,000 words including Executive Summary and short summary: Facts and Figures: 7,000 words each)
i. Ensure consistency in translation and in referencing and verify the all elements are in French;
ii. clarify meaning where there may be confusion in interpretation, and improve flow;
iii. Ensure that the text is clean of typos, spelling, grammatical and syntax errors;
iv. Ensure accuracy of translation of names of institutions, organizations, groups, countries, etc.;
v. Verify that box, figure and table numbers are properly cited in the text, following the English version;
vi. Ensure that all titles, sub-titles, notes and sources are consistent with the English version; and tha tall disclaimers, credits and notes related to figures and tables are invluded and duly translated;
vii. Ensure that all blurbs, boxes, photo captions and text in figures are duly translated;
viii. ensure that the list of acronyms of the French version corresponds to the English version, and edit it if required due to the different language (e.g. alphabetical order);
ix. Ensure that in-text references and the list of reference of the French version correspond to the English version; ensure that the references, which are available in French, are replaced accordingly; and
x. Ensure that the list of references, footnotes and citations are formatted according to the French style guide nad integrate any missing information.Long Description
3. Oversee the editorial and layout process of the Spanish version of the United Nations World Water Development Report 2022: Groundwater: Making invisible visible (WWDR 2022):
- Support the WWDR Process Coordinator and the Publications Assistant during the selection of the proof-reader, unless this is done by the external partner that does the Spanish translation;
- Liaise with the translator or the focal point of the partner and the proof-reader (if one is engaged) and act as focal point for all relevant queries during the translation and proofreading process for all relevant technical queries (including but not limited to the preparation of the list of relevant/useful references/links and list of specific terminology if needed);
- Ensure that the translation corresponds to all sections of the text in English original (i.e. there is no missing text, references, figures compared to the English original);
- Liaise with the graphic designer or the focal point of the partner and ensure that the template of the English version (or French version, if requested) is followed and the layout version is finalized in time for ISBN application as per production schedule already set by WWAP Secretariat; prepare and send corrections on the layout version to the WWDR Process Coordinator, the Publications Assistant and the focal point of translating partner in time for printing as per production schedule already set by WWAP Secretariat.
4. Translation and editing of Gender and WWDR related material into French:
i. Follow-up letters to the EU Conference of 13 October 2021;
ii. Additional communication materials for the Call for Action (CfA) Communication Campaign;
iii. Contents newly published webpages on Gender and WWDR;
iv. The new Call for Action concept note.
5. any minor work, if reuqested, such as editing and translating text for utilization on WWAP website, social media/communication purposes and uletters addressed to high-level personalities in French.
6. Pending sanitary situation and consequent approval of the WWAP Coordinator, DIR/HYD and ADG/SC, the consultant will participate in a four-day mission to UNESCO WWAP Secretariat, Perugia, in the period from 10 February to 20 February 2022, to finalze the French version of the WWDR 2022, by working closely with WWAP Graphic Designer, Publications Assistant, WWDr Editor-in-Chief and liaising with WWDR Process Coordinator to assure a smooth and timely productiono process of the English and French editions of the WWDR 2022.
If this mission cannot be undertaken due to COVID 19 pandemic or other unforeseen incident, the consultant will liaise with the WWDR Process Coordinator, the Publications Assistant and the Graphic Designer to develop a timetable to be followed for the finalization of the WWDR 2022 French edition through e-mail exchanges, video conferencing and other possible means.COMPETENCIES (Core / Managerial) Accountability (C) Communication (C) Innovation (C) Knowledge sharing and continuous improvement (C) Planning and organizing (C) Results focus (C) Teamwork (C) Professionalism (C) - For detailed information, please consult the UNESCO Competency Framework. REQUIRED COMPETENCIES
- University degree in engineering, literature or in a relevant field.
Technical Competencies and Experience Requirements
- Proven track-record in editing and proofreading of scientific publications, books, reports, etc., on environmental affairs and water erosurces management;
- Experience in translation of such documents in both French and English within the UN context;
- Good knowledge of relevant scientific lexicons;
- Storng knowledge and experience of the editing process and skills in editing technical documents;
- Excellent grammaticla knowledge in French and English and;
- In depth knowledge of UN (and specifically UNESCO) style guides;
- Excellent written and oral French;
- Excellent written and oral English. Knowledge of Spanish is an asset.
- Good organizational, networking and partnership building skills.
- Ability to prioritize and deliver on deadline.
- Good IT skills. Being proficient in editing software is desirable.
- Ability to adapt editing for different materials, for different audiences.
- Good skills and effectiveness in written and oral communication and presentation.
- Ability to work as part of a team.APPLICATION PROCESS
Interested candidates should click on “Apply Now”, download and complete the following:
- Employment History form (Word file). At the end of the Word file, insert extra pages with the following required information.
- An approach and methodology for the assignment and a work plan.
- A competitive fee for the assignment, which should be quoted in EUR and expressed on a monthly basis.
- An updated CV
Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application and provide complete and accurate information. To apply, please visit the UNESCO careers website. No modifications can be made to the application submitted.
The evaluation of candidates is based on the criteria in the vacancy notice, and may include tests and/or assessments, as well as a competency-based interview.
UNESCO uses communication technologies such as video or teleconference, e-mail correspondence, etc. for the assessment and evaluation of candidates.
Please note that only selected candidates will be further contacted and candidates in the final selection step will be subject to reference checks based on the information provided.Footer
UNESCO applies a zero tolerance policy against all forms of harassment.
UNESCO is committed to achieve and sustain gender parity among its staff members in all categories and at all grades. Furthermore, UNESCO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities, as well as nationals from non-and under-represented Member States (last update here) are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the highest level of confidentiality. Worldwide mobility is required for staff members appointed to international posts.
UNESCO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.