Finance Manager, DRC
Democratic Republic of Congo (Congo Democratic)
Finance Manager, DRC
- Democratic Republic of Congo
- La Gombe, Kinshasa
- Full Time
- Program (Division)
- Country Programs - Democratic Republic of Congo
The Clinton Health Access Initiative, Inc. (CHAI) is a global health organization committed to saving lives and reducing the burden of disease in low-and middle-income countries, while strengthening the capabilities of governments and the private sector in those countries to create and sustain high-quality health systems that can succeed without our assistance. For more information, please visit: http://www.clintonhealthaccess.org
CHAI was founded in 2002 with a transformational goal: help save lives of millions of people living with HIV/AIDS. Today, along with HIV, we work with partners to prevent and treat malaria, tuberculosis, hepatitis, and cancer, accelerate the rollout of lifesaving vaccines, reduce maternal, infantile and child mortality, combat chronic malnutrition, and strengthen health systems. We operate in over 35 countries around the world and more than 125 countries have access to CHAI-negotiated deals on medications, diagnostics, vaccines, and other health tools.
CHAI seeks for a dynamic, driven individual with a minimum of eight (8) years of progressively responsible professional experience in accounting, finance, and budget. Under the direct supervision of the Associate Director Business Management, Operations and Finances (AD-BOF), the Finance Manager will play a critical role in the budgetary functions, grants management, and in ensuring compliance with accurate and timely internal and external reporting, accounting regulations and CHAI and donors’ requirements.
In support to Country Director (CD), Deputy Country Director (DCD) (Senior Leadership Team) & Associate Director Business Management, Operations and Finance (AD-BOF):
- Consolidated monthly financial Reports, inclusive of insightful commentary.
- Cash flow forecasting & availability of funds management, inclusive of insightful commentary.
- Hands on monitoring & implementation of donor agreements & resource utilization.
- First support for all financial aspects, including budget development for new proposals.
- Consolidation of program budgets and re-forecasts, inclusive of insightful commentary for AD-BOF’s decision-making.
- Hands on preparation of annual accounts, taxation statements, co-ordination of Statutory Audit.
- Assurance of (in country) compliance with CHAI’s Global Finance & Procurement policies, based on guidance from AD-BOF.
- Continuous improvement of internal accounting & financial control procedures.
- Oversight & enforcement of (in country) procurement and financial delegations’ controls.
- Treasury management - proactively managing foreign exchange needs, reporting gains/losses.
- Technical guidance on professional accounting requirements.
- Under the supervision of AD-BOF, ensure maintenance of Finance Operations Manual (proposal of updates of financial controls / procedures).
- Supports in the Financial risk management identification & mitigation.
In support to Programs:
- Organize the day-to-day budget and financial operations encompassing quality control and monitoring, financial accounting, and reporting, workplan and award management including cash flow forecasting and monitoring, while liaising with relevant Program Associate Directors and their respective team members.
- Coordination of preliminary and final financial Reports, to obtain insightful commentary.
- Hands on effective support/guidance in preparation of program, project, budgeting/re-forecasting requirements.
- Training to ensure budget holders understand their responsibilities, providing a rapid response to any training needs.
- Timely production of budget variance reports and resolution of queries, and accurate completion of financial reports for grants, contracts, estimated fund requests.
- Ensure expenditures are in line with the approved activities and within the timeframe and that all expenditures are properly accounted (within authorized levels) and quarterly reported.
- Monitor and ensure compliance by Program teams with donor funding criteria and CHAI internal policies and procedures.
- Adequate & timely provision of cashflow requirements for project activities.
In support to Human Resources:
- Assist the AD-BOF in maintaining equitable staff compensation policies and practices within approved budget and donor requirements.
- Participates to preparation and implementation of the work plan and budget to ensure compatibility with priorities and objectives and advise the AD-BOF and Senior Leadership Team on the most effective use of resources.
In support to AD-BOF for Donors and HQ:
- Support AD-BOF for timely submission of reporting obligations, actual, budget, re-forecast, inclusive of variance analysis with insightful commentary.
- Timely preparation of donor reporting obligations for AD-BOF’s review and submission.
- Proactive financial management responsiveness to the internal and external compliance & audit requirements of Donor funds, ensuring compliance mechanisms are fully built into & enabled within project operations.
- Timely submission of donor reporting obligations.
- Conduct analysis to ensure accurate funding allocation as well as actual vs planned variance analysis reporting.
General Administration, team building, and mentorship:
- Ensure direct Reporting and supervision of finance staff (Senior Accountant and Finance Assistant), and guidance for Program Assistants.
- Define expectations and provide clear leadership and technical support as needed to their Unit’s staff.
- Conduct first layer oversight of timely financial records management.
- Other responsibilities as needed.
- Knowledge of accounting principles, procedures, and standards.
- Ability to apply conceptual, analytical, and evaluative skills in accounting operations.
- Ability to conduct independent research and analysis, identify issues, formulate options, and make conclusions and recommendations.
Planning and organizing:
- Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies.
- Identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required.
- Allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work.
- Monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary, uses time efficiently.
- Takes ownership of all responsibilities and honours commitments. Delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost, and quality standards.
- Operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules. Supports subordinates, provides oversight, and takes responsibility for delegated assignments. Takes personal responsibility for their own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable.
- Delegates the appropriate responsibility, accountability, and decision-making authority. Makes sure that roles, responsibilities, and reporting lines are clear to each staff member. Accurately judges the amount of time and resources needed to accomplish a task and matches task to skills. Monitors progress against milestones and deadlines. Regularly discusses performance and provides feedback and coaching to staff. Encourages risk-taking and supports creativity and initiative. Appraises performance fairly.
- Advanced university degree (Master's or equivalent) in business administration, finance, accounting, or related fields preferred. A first-level degree (Bachelor's degree or equivalent) in the specified fields of studies with two additional years of relevant work experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- Experience in Health Financing and(or) Health systems strengthening and (or) Supply Chain Management, and management consulting.
- Experience working with government authorities in developing countries, with experience in sub-Saharan Africa.
- Experience working in public health and with international organizations.
- Familiarity with a broad range of key global health issues, including Primary healthcare, health systems or health financing challenges in developing countries.
- Fluency in French and English.