Technical Officer (Compliance and Multilateral System Policy Support)
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please note that Closure Date and Time displayed above are based on date and time settings of your personal device
The length of appointment for internal FAO candidates will be established in accordance with applicable policies pertaining to the extension of appointments
• FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality, background and culture
• Qualified female applicants, qualified nationals of non-and under-represented member nations and person with disabilities are encouraged to apply
• Everyone who works for FAO is required to adhere to the highest standards of integrity and professional conduct, and to uphold our values. FAO has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and FAO, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination.
• All selected candidates will undergo rigorous reference and background checks
• All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
• The incumbent may be re-assigned to different activities and/or duty stations depending on the evolving needs of the Organization.
The Secretariat of the International Treaty on Plant Genetic Resources for Food and Agriculture (ITPGRFA) performs the tasks established under the International Treaty, and arranges for and provides administrative support for sessions of the International Treaty's Governing Body and for any subsidiary bodies, as may be established, and assists the Governing Body in carrying out its functions, including the performance of specific tasks that the Governing Body may decide to assign to it.
The Technical Officer supports the Secretary of the International Treaty to provide technical, legal and policy advice, support and guidance in the implementation of the International Treaty, especially its compliance mechanism and the Multilateral System of Access and Benefit-sharing.
The Technical Officer reports to the Senior Technical Officer (Deputy Secretary) and works in close collaboration with other technical officers, especially those working on the compliance mechanism and the Multilateral System.
Coordination and provision of legal and policy expertise to support the implementation of the ITPGRFA's Compliance mechanism and Multilateral System, including assisting the work of the Compliance Committee, and to develop and implement coherent, integrated and effective policy assistance and governance work supporting Contracting Parties at global, regional, and country levels in the implementation of the ITPGRFA. Policy development and implementation assistance, legal and policy analysis, drafting and empirical research in relation to agricultural biodiversity, especially plant genetic resources for food and agriculture.
Comprehensive technical and policy expertise and advice to support the planning, development and implementation of programmes, projects, products and services.
• Provides policy expertise and advice to support the planning, development and implementation of divisional programmes, projects, products and services;
• Provides technical and programmatic support on the development, implementation and evaluation of assigned programmes/projects; identifies priorities, liaises with relevant parties;
• Coordinates and reviews the assessments of issues and trends for the implementation of programmes and projects and the preparation of impact evaluation or equivalent studies;
• Leads the preparation of various written outputs, e.g. background papers, analysis, substantial sections of reports and studies, inputs to publications;
• Contributes to consultative and other meetings, conferences, including proposals for agenda topics, identifying participants, preparation of documents and presentations;
• Participates and/or leads training workshops, seminars; makes presentations on assigned topics/activities;
• Provides guidance to external consultants, government officials and other parties;
• Provides advice on the development of policies and strategies, as well as national protocols and guidelines for projects with specific domains related to FAO's work.
• Leads and supervises Secretariat services and activities to enhance the implementation of the International Treaty through the Compliance Procedures and related mechanism;
• Coordinates and supports to the Compliance Committee to enable its effective functioning, including the preparation of technical and policy documents, and the development of strategic tools, partnerships and processes for enhancing compliance with the ITPGRFA;
• Supports and provides strategic advice to the Secretary and the Secretariat, and provides technical, legal and policy advice and/or support to Contracting Parties in the development and implementation of their policies and programmes for the implementation of and compliance with the ITPGRFA;
• Coordinates the development of technical, policy and legal support and other Secretariat services to Contracting Parties, Regions and relevant stakeholders to enhance the functioning of the Multilateral System;
• Provides Secretariat services and performs a wide range of activities for the implementation and operations of the Multilateral System;
• Coordinates or participates in research projects to provide evidence bases for the international community to prioritize conservation and availability for use among crops, focusing on the objectives of the Multilateral System;
• Provides technical, policy and legal advice to Contracting Parties to implement the Farmers' Rights provisions of the ITPGRFA and supports relevant policy processes and expert meetings;
• Supports the Secretary, through technical, legal and policy expertise, in the preparation of policy documents, analyses, reports and briefings for the Governing Body, the Bureau and relevant subcommittees of the ITPGRFA in the areas of Compliance, Multilateral System and Farmers' Rights;
• Supports preparations of sessions of the Governing Body and coordinates Secretariat services in areas of responsibility;
• Collaborates on, provides technical backstopping to and ensures the quality/effectiveness of project and grant proposals developed by the Secretariat and with external partners;
• Works closely with colleagues and coordinates with relevant divisions within FAO, in particular the FAO Legal Office, in carrying out the above functions;
• Performs other related duties as required.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
• Advanced university degree in law, political sciences, international relations, international development, natural resource management, or a related field;
• Seven years of relevant experience at international level in development and implementation of policy and law relevant to plant genetic resources for food and agriculture;
• Working knowledge of English and limited knowledge of another FAO official language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish).
• Results Focus
• Building Effective Relationships
• Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
• Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions is desirable;
• Extent and relevance of experience in legal and policy practice related to plant genetic resources, intellectual property, competition law and international alternative dispute resolution;
• Extent and relevance of experience in providing Secretariat Services to intergovernmental processes in areas relevant to the International Treaty is considered an asset;
• Extent and relevance of experience in the provision of legal and policy advice to Members and stakeholders for the implementation of international agreements and policies relevant to plant genetic resources for food and agriculture is considered an asset;
• Extent and relevance of experience in providing assistance to national governments in a compliance mechanism under a multilateral agreement;
• Extent and relevance of experience in negotiating contracts and licensing agreements for genetic resources, intellectual assets, traditional knowledge or other intangibles;
• Demonstrated research experience and academic work in international law, international relations and other related fields of sciences;
• Demonstrated experience in undertaking legal analysis and preparing technical documents, including at the multilateral level;
• Extent and relevance of experience in working with multidisciplinary teams;
• Working knowledge of Spanish and/or French is desirable.