Policy and Regional Representation Assistant
We believe that with the right support, the off-grid solar market can scale to provide affordable solar power products and services to provide electricity to the 840 million people currently living without energy by 2030, in line with Sustainable Development Goal (SDG) 7. Off-grid solar products and services are also a solution for the estimated 1 billion people with weak grid connections.
The successful candidate for this position will enjoy working in an international and dynamic environment; gain experience within an industry association and learn about the various challenges facing off-grid solar companies including policy issues, financing and e-waste; meet and represent GOGLA's members to donors and government policymakers; and contribute to advocating for an enabling policy and regulatory environment in India/South Asia-Pacific.
Location: Mumbai, India
Reporting to: GOGLA Regional Representative South-Asia
Languages: Fluent in English
Duration: 6 - 12 months contract with an intention to extend
Requirement: demonstrate their ability to legally work in India
Starting: As soon as possible
Application Deadline: 1st of November 2021
- Supporting the coordination of the GOGLA Policy Working Group(s) and activities falling under the working group’s remit; this includes the development of industry opinions, sending regular mailers etc.
- Supporting coordination of various projects falling under the remit of the policy and regulatory program, including monitoring, reporting and evaluation of projects to donors
- Organizing online and in-person events and meetings such as public and private sector dialogues or topical workshops
- Facilitating and coordinating information sharing with sector partners by scanning the relevant universe, mostly offline, and in some cases through personal meetings.
- Carrying out research on specific topics of relevance to the program, such as collation of background information, development of overview documents on specific topics, or stakeholder mapping
- Research and analysis in the fields of enabling environment as well as business development
- Drafting of reports and development of content for GOGLA communication.
- Supporting the general administration of the association.
The ideal candidate will have a strong foundation of experience and expertise and that includes:
- A high level of passion for GOGLA's mission and objectives
- Bachelor’s degree in development cooperation, public policy, political science, international relations, economics or other related fields
- Passionate about sustainable development
- Familiarity with the industry in India and in South-Asia
- Understanding of policy landscape in India
- Previous experience 0-3 years
- Previous exposure to international cooperation and/or renewable energy is a benefit but not a strict requirement
All staff at GOGLA are required to work in line with our organization’s values. This means working boldly, enthusiastically, pro-actively and transparently whilst promoting a good team spirit and treating others in a fair and equal way. Please see our website for more details about our values.
In addition, the following work-related competencies are required for this role:
- Outstanding communication and presentation skills in English
- Understanding of, and passion for the energy access space and market-based solutions
- An understanding of the importance of how national and regional government policies can affect sustainable development and/or the private sector
- An inquisitive mind, pro-active, well organised and a keen eye for detail
- Proficient use of MS Word, Excel, Outlook and Power Point
- Strong analytical and project management skills
- Good people skills
- The ability to take ownership of problems and demonstrate a flexible, adaptable approach to work
- The ability to work in a demanding, entrepreneurial and international environment
- An interest in using this opportunity to start a career in the off-grid energy or sustainable development sector
What is in it for you?
- An international work environment in a fast-growing, innovative industry.
- Gain experience within an industry association and learn about the various challenges facing off-grid solar companies including policy issues, financing and e-waste; meet and represent GOGLA's members to donors and government policymakers; and contribute to advocating for an enabling policy and regulatory environment in India/South Asia-Pacific.
- Competitive compensation, commensurate with experience.
- A dynamic team and strong global network of members and partners in the off-grid energy and international development sector.
- A workplace that provides flexibility and freedom, and expects initiative, passion and drive from motivated self-starters.
- The knowledge that you help build an impactful sector and contribute towards a better world.
Do you want to join our team as our new Policy and Regional Representation Assistant? Then we'd love to hear about you!