Programme Assistant, UNV
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
The UNV Field Units (FU) are mainly accountable for the mobilization and placement of UN Volunteers in UN Agencies, Funds, and Programmes focused on peace, development and humanitarian needs. The UNV Field Units represent and position UNV in the respective countries and bring UNV’s services and solutions closer to its partners from governments, UN entities, civil society and private sector.
Under the supervision of the Programme Analyst in the Multi Country Office UNV, based in Tunis and covering Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia and Libya; the Programme Assistant provides assistance in UNV Field Unit, in support of volunteer mobilization and deployment.
Duties and Responsibilities
Volunteer mobilization and deployment support
- Provide effective and efficient support of the Country Coordinator and UN partners in advocacy and outreach campaigns (IVD, presentation of promotional information with Host Entities, local volunteer organizations, etc.);
- Support onsite and online volunteer mobilization that increases the number of volunteers in the respective countries covered by the Multi Country Office;
- Act as a focal point for online volunteers and accreditation of OV service organizations in the countries under the MCO, focusing on supporting Host Entities with developing OV opportunities through advocacy engagements and promoting the concept of OV;
- Support the deployment and assignment management of all UN Volunteer modalities;
- Support the recruitment of national UN Volunteers, including updating and maintaining a national UN Volunteers local candidate talent pool in coordination with the Volunteer Services Centre (VSC);
- Maintain files of all UN Volunteers assigned to the country, ensuring that all correspondence and periodic reports (are properly kept in the respective volunteer management platform, and that related matters requiring action are brought to the attention of his/her supervisor;
- Monitor and keep records of the contractual status of all serving UN Volunteers and flag to VSC follow-up actions;
- Ensure that up-to-date volunteer leave records are maintained and that all UN Volunteers manage absences as per the UN Volunteer Conditions of Service;
- Maintain up to date contact records of all serving UN Volunteers, including their recognized dependents;
- Ensure that initial contract documents, beneficiary forms and inventories of personal effects of UN Volunteers are up-to-date, and submitted to UNV headquarters, VSC (through the respective volunteer management platform) in a timely manner, in accordance with the relevant provisions included in the UN Security Handbook as well as in the UN Volunteer Conditions of Service;
- Assist on the logistical and travel arrangements of arriving UN Volunteers and his/her recognized dependents;
- Facilitate government clearance and entry visas of incoming UN Volunteers and their recognized dependents;
- Support the initial onboarding of UN Volunteers upon arrival, including support in opening bank accounts, completing forms required to obtain visas, residence permits, etc.;
- Undertake tasks for the local support of the UN Volunteers and recognized dependents in the country including in the cases of medical evacuation, security evacuations or the death of a UN Volunteer;
- Assist UNV HQ in ensuring all conditions are met before the payment of final entitlements to UN Volunteers at the end of their assignment.
Administrative and logistical support
- Maintain inventories of all UNV-supplied, non-expendable equipment, and ensure records of all items purchased for UNV-executed projects are submitted to UNV headquarters;
- Maintain general office files and keep information and reference material in a manner that allows easy reference and retrieval;
- Provide timely information and data related to volunteer management, UNV field office assets, finance/procurement and administrative inputs required for UNV’s corporate exercises;
- Perform other administrative duties as may be required.
- Ability to make new and useful ideas work
- Ability to persuade others to follow
- Ability to improve performance and satisfaction
- Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform
- Ability to get things done while exercising good judgement
- Ability to manage day-to-day office activities (including but not limited to travel management, facilities and asset management, policy and procedures maintenance) to meet operational needs
- Ability to identify and execute opportunities to improve operational efficiency
- Ability to perform administrative and procedural activities to ensure that quality requirements and goals are fulfilled
- Ability to engage and foster strategic partnerships with other parties, inter-agency coordination and forge productive working relationships
- Ability to plan, organize, motivate, and control resources, procedures and protocols to achieve specific goals
- Ability to capture, develop, share and effectively use information and knowledge
Required Skills and Experience
- Completed secondary education;
- Certification in administration, accounting or finance desirable.
- 5 years of relevant experience in administration and/or programme support services.
- Fluency in English, French and in Arabic is required.
- Experience using computers and office software packages (ERP, MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.);
- Experience in handling of web-based management systems is highly desirable.
- Only short-listed applicants will be contacted;
- The successful candidate will hold a UNDP letter of appointment;
- All posts in the GS categories are subject to local recruitment;
- This post is open to nationals of Tunisia only.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
UNDP/UNV reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP/UNV at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.