SRO-EA Consultant to Support to South Sudan AfCFTA and WTO Accession Strategies
Result of Service
International consultants working on South Sudan are optimally supported to deliver the AfCFTA and WTO Accession Strategies.Work Location
The consultant is expected to deliver the task over a period of 4 months and will be paid a total amount of 12 000 USD according to the following:
• 40 % after the organization of national level consultations and data collection exercise for the AfCFTA and WTO accession strategies;
• 30% after facilitating capacity building workshops around the AfCFTA and WTO accession strategies and successful submission of sectoral inputs;
• 30% after facilitating the organization of technical review and validation of the AfCFTA and WTO accession strategies.
The Sub-Regional office for Eastern Africa of the Economic Commission for Africa (ECA/SRO-EA) is
established as one of the five sub-regional offices with the mandate to promote economic and social
transformation in the continent by: a) Collecting information to prepare country and sub-regional profiles that include risk analysis for member states b) Contributing to and promoting the results of ECA's policy- oriented research; c) Providing policy advisory services to member States, regional economic communities and sub-regional development operators to promote regional integration and sub-regional initiatives; d) Serving as facilitators of the integration activities of organizations of the United Nations system operating within the sub-region; e) Strengthening the capacity of members states, RECs and other stakeholders for policy making in favor of structural transformation, industrialization, and sustainable development. ECA's Sub-Regional Office for Eastern Africa covers the following 14 member states: Burundi, Comoros, Djibouti, DRC, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Kenya, Madagascar, Rwanda, Seychelles, Somalia, South Sudan, Tanzania, Uganda.
Following request for technical assistance, SRO-EA is embarking on support to the Ministry of Trade and Industry for the elaboration of the South Sudan AfCFTA strategy and the WTO accession strategy. Through the SRO-EA and African Trade Policy Centre (ATPC), ECA is, in cooperation with international and national consultants delivering technical assistance to the Government of South Sudan. A consultant is needed to support processing and execution of some of the duties.
The Consultant will be providing support and facilitation coordination on the Delivery of the South Sudan AfCFTA Strategy and the WTO accession strategy.
The objective of this intervention is to support South Sudan to develop an inclusive strategy and action plan for AfCFTA, focusing on the key sectors/ thematic areas, gender, MSMEs and youth among others.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Consultant will will work under the overall guidance of Director, SRO-EA and the direct supervision of the project officer. He or she is expected to work in close collaboration with various stakeholders at national, regional, and global levels involved in the project. The project support consultant will be responsible for ensuring the smooth delivery of the project. Specifically, the consultant will perform the following tasks:
1. Provision of generalized support to both the South Sudan Lead consultant and the Trade in services consultant;
2. Support provision of relevant data and documents from national and regional resources;
3. Carrying out primary and on ground research of interested parties/stakeholders (meetings, interviews, primary data collection, etc.);
4. Drafting sectoral inputs;
5. Support setting up of consultative processes with all main stakeholders (consultants, ECA, Government officials, private sector representatives, civil society, etc.);
6. Serve as liaison between UNECA, Government and consultants, and others as needed to ensure coordination and streamlining of projects.
7. Provide logistical support for training of trade negotiators to enable them conduct trade negotiations in an effective manner to accede or comply with the AfCFTA/WTO and build its trade competitiveness;
9. Carry out training of trade attaches to be deployed in South Sudanese Embassies abroad
Academic Qualifications: The Consultant should have at least a Master's degree in economics or business studies.
Experience: The consultant should have a minimum of 5 years' experience in working in a managerial/supervisory role in government and/or the private sector. Eastern African working experience is an advantage.
Language: English and French are the working languages of the United Nations. For this assignment English is the required language.
THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING). THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CONCERN ITSELF WITH INFORMATION ON APPLICANTS’ BANK ACCOUNTS.