Job Overview/Summary: The IRC is seeking a WASH Officer with an engineering background who will be responsible for water and sanitation construction and maintenance activities that are integrated art of the SBCC activities in the health, nutrition activities of the $3 million donor funded multi-year Kayah Integrated Nutrition project. Funded by LIFT, a multi-donor trust, the project has the overall goal to improve resilience of individuals and communities to respond to shocks, stress, and risks. Specifically this will be achieved by working toward the specific objective of improving the nutritional status of women and children through improved nutrition, hygiene and sanitation practices and access to nutrition and WASH services. The project is implemented in partnership with a consortium of partners and in close coordination with the Department of Social Welfare. The WASH Officer will be responsible for providing technical oversight and assist to the WASH Manager for WASH construction activities, mentorship and quality control in the field for both IRC volunteer and partner staff related to the renovation and construction of (village) built water systems and school latrines as well as family built household latrines, and ensure integration of WASH activities across the wider program.
Engineering and technical
- With the supports of the WASH Manager, provide technical support and quality management of all WASH activities within the Kayah Integrated Nutrition Project, both in support of IRC implemented WASH activities as well as those WASH activities of implementing partners
- Supported by the WASH Manager, provide the fresh water assessment in targeted villages and IDPs site.
- Provide the detailed technical assessment for water supply system in the IRC targeted villages and IDPs Sites.
Assist to WASH Manager in providing training to all (IRC and partner) WASH and SBCC staff in (among others):
- Development of the design of low-cost household and school latrines with strong community participation.
- Technical support to the construction low-cost household latrines.
- Providing technical support to communities in the renovation and cleaning of wells, water ponds and possibly spring catchments, ensuring the beneficiaries receive adequate technical supports in all WASH activities, identify the problems and challenges and suggest the improvements on the designs and specifications.
- Assist to the WASH Manager in developing BoQ, Design Drawing and PRs and procurement process for WASH facilities construction.
- Support the WASH Manager in providing regular and frequent quality control of all WASH construction in the field and report all deviations from the original design immediately.
- Assist to the WASH Manager in preparing annual work plan, spending plan and procurement plan according to the Project Log frame.
- Undertake regular monitoring of activities to assess progress, identify issues, collect information, and maintain detailed records of program activities and document lessons learned.
- Assist to WASH Manager in preparing monthly spending plans and is responsible as operator for procurement in the online Budget vs. Actual system
- For coordination of the activities at field level WASH Officer liaises closely with the other members of the KIN project team and with the Operations team for procurement. .
- Report on monthly progress against the work plan.
- Oversee and closely working with the Nutrition and WASH assistance in Demo latrine construction and subsidy household latrine materials distribution as a part of CLTS activities.
- Where necessary participate in the recruitment of new members of the project team.
- Assist to WASH Manager in coordinating with partner agencies to provide mentorship and support as well as technical oversight for all WASH engineering activities implemented by partner agencies
- Collection of data from community volunteers for monthly progress report.