Career Development Program Intern - Spring 2022
Silver Spring (United States of America)
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. At work in over 40 countries and 26 U.S. cities to restore safety, dignity and hope, the IRC leads the way from harm to home. Domestically, our 26 offices across the U.S. ensure new arrivals have food, shelter, and clothing, and work with refugees to help them gain self-sufficiency.
SCOPE OF WORK
The Career Development Program assists employed clients in securing job upgrades to improve economic conditions and align with career history and/or career objectives. The intern will work closely with the Career Development team and Financial Capabilities program to promote client self-sufficiency and encourage clients to work towards long-term career goals.
- Provide one-on-one job application assistance including creating resumes, cover letters, and preparing refugee and asylee clients for job interviews.
- Teach job readiness trainings on topics including: introduction to career development, business writing, networking, interview preparation, and financial literacy.
- Advocate for clients’ rights in the labor market by providing references for clients and meeting with employers to educate them about the benefits of hiring IRC clients.
- Implement and monitor performance on the Vocational Training and Employment Services (VTES) and Financial Capabilities programs.
- Other duties as identified by Employment Specialists.
- Intern will learn to create effective resumes and cover letters.
- Intern will learn to communicate effectively with clients across cultures and with interpreters.
- Intern will learn individual coaching techniques to engage and empower a vulnerable population.
- Intern will learn effective outreach strategies for building strategic relationships.
- Intern will learn how to adapt training curricula to clients’ needs and how to teach necessary life skills and professional development in a group setting.
- Intern will learn about how to successfully and appropriately advocate for clients’ rights and needs across partnerships and the labor market.
- Intern will learn about networking, financial literacy, and how to obtain a professional job.
- Intern will learn how to implement program safeguards to empower women and protect domestic violence survivors and other vulnerable populations.