BACKGROUND/IRC SUMMARY: Founded in 1933, the International Rescue Committee (IRC) is a leading international organization working in relief, rehabilitation, protection, post-conflict development, resettlement services and advocacy for those affected by the world’s worst humanitarian crises. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, the IRC restores safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure.
In its ninth year of crisis, Syria is in a state of protracted emergency with 13.6 million people affected (HNO 2020). According to the Food Security and Livelihoods (FSL) chapter of the draft 2020 Humanitarian Needs Assessment (HNO), an estimated 7.9M are estimated to be food insecure and another 1.9M at risk of food insecurity. The humanitarian impact of the Syria crisis remains deep and far-reaching, with the population exposed to significant protection risks. Hundreds of thousands of civilians have been killed or injured
JOB OVERVIEW: Under the supervision of the Senior Program Quality Coordinator (SPQC) and in collaboration with the health team, the Health Coordinator (HC) will be responsible for the vision, strategy, design, implementation, and management of technical and operational aspects of IRC’s Health portfolio (including primary, reproductive, mental, community and environmental health) in Idleb and Aleppo, in Syria. They will lead on IRC and partner implemented programs and promote technical assistance, capacity strengthening, and learning.
Program Management, Technical Quality, and Strategy
- Provide strategic direction, leadership, and overall management to all health programs within the Syria Country Program in line with the country strategy including functional primary healthcare systems and services that can include: reproductive health, communicable diseases, non-communicable diseases, health information, drug management, infection control, environmental health, and nutrition.
- Supervise and provide technical support to the team to implement evidence-based IRC programs to a high-quality standard, including services provided by partner organizations.
- Research, identify, monitor, and report health needs and explore the potential of addressing unmet needs by guiding additional needs assessments as required.
- Coordinate with Grants Coordinator to ensure grant management and compliance to donor requirements
- Ensure effective development and management of project work plans and budgets, spending plans, procurement plans, storage, recruitment, and accurate reporting in line with IRC and donor regulations.
- Ensure the implementation of M&E systems with specific attention to improving the effectiveness of systems; ensure output and impact data are collected and used to optimize program quality.
- Work with other sectors: Economic Recovery and Development, Integrated Protection, and Early Childhood Development to improve integration and coordination within programs.
Program Quality and Development
- Inform design processes that ensure new or adapted programming for the health sector focusing on improving efficiencies, impact, and integrated and localized approaches.
- Develop proposal narratives and financial budgets that align across multiple grants as a comprehensive health portfolio.
- Actively participate in defining the country's strategic action plan, particularly related to Health and the integration with other program’s sectors.
- Use and adapt IRC program quality tools, including gender equality, client responsiveness, and other tools, to improve the impact and outcomes of Health programs.
- Assist in log frames, work plans, and monitoring tools and support their implementation.
- Ensure that the health activities demonstrate adherence to international and national standards.
Staff Performance Management, Learning & Development:
- Recruit, supervise, and build the capacity of team members in relevant technical and management competencies including developing and implementing remote management capacity-building approaches to build the strengths of the team in Syria.
- Coach, train, supervise and mentor direct-report staff, including setting clear expectations, annual performance objectives, providing regular and timely positive and constructive performance feedback, and providing documented semi-annual performance reviews.
- Approve attendance and leave requests to ensure adequate departmental coverage; ensure monthly, accurate timesheet submission and carry out probationary reviews.
- Identify staff performance issues and work with Human Resources to document and address these.
- Adhere to IRC Global HR Policies and Procedures, and communicate through word and example a high standard of compliance with all applicable policies and regulations.
Coordination & Representation
- Attend technical cluster meetings and support managers to attend working group meetings in their respective sub-sectors.
- Develop and maintain relationships, communications, and partnerships with local health actors operating in IRC’s implementation areas; where possible support strategic partnerships in the field that enhance the best use of resources and complement health service delivery to shared catchment areas.
- Coordinate with Field Management teams to ensure field concerns and challenges are brought to relevant stakeholders for the development of improved standards and procedures.
- Represent the IRC’s Syria health program at the donor and other meetings as needed.
Key working relationships
Position Reports to Senior Program Quality Coordinator.
Position directly supervises technically: Pharma Specialist, MHPSS Specialist, IM Senior Officer, Senior Health Manager, Senior Community Health Officer.
Indirect Reporting: Deputy Director of Programs.
Other Internal: HQ/Regional based IRC Technical Advisors, Other Health Coordinators in the region, Deputy Director of Operations, Field Coordinator, Humanitarian Access Coordinator, Other Program Coordinators, Program Managers, M&E Coordinator, Partnership Coordinator, Grants Coordinator
Other External: Relevant other stakeholders, e.g. UN bodies, Partners