Personal Legal Assistant
Under the supervision of the International Development Law Organization (‘IDLO’) Country Manager and in close collaboration with other Experts, the Personal Legal Assistant will provide technical/expert support during the competition for the membership of the High Qualification Commission (HQCJ) of Judges and the competition/vetting for the membership of the High Council of Justice (HCJ) of Ukraine within the overall goal of strengthened capacity and integrity of Ukraine's judiciary. More particularly, Personal Legal Assistants shall support the HQCJ Selection Commission and/or the HCJ Ethics Council members in their day-to-day operations.
This position is full-time.
Ukraine’s justice sector reform, implemented since the 2014 Revolution of Dignity, included a number of hallmark legislative initiatives and constitutional amendments that signaled the country’s readiness to build a state of rule of law through reform and reorganization of the judiciary.
In this context, the reform of the HQCJ and HCJ is seen as a critical step forward by most independent observers.
IDLO plans to contribute towards the realization of the above goal by: (a) supporting the work of the HQCJ Selection Commission and HCJ Ethics Council; (b) seconding national experts to the respective working groups to be established under the Selection Commission and Ethics Council.
Summary of functions:
The personal legal assistant will perform the following duties:
- Provide HQCJ Selection Commission (SC) and HCJ Ethic Council (EC) members with day-to-day legal, administrative, and technical support.
- Facilitate communication among SC / EC members.
- Assist the SC / EC members in better understanding the general legal context and complying with legal requirements relevant to the selection /vetting process.
- Assist the SC / EC in planning, organizing, and conducting desk reviews and in-person interviews.
- Advise the SC, EC, and their respective working groups on various legal matters arising in the process of the competition/vetting.
- Draft legal instruments as requested by the SC / EC members.
- Provide comments and feedback to the stakeholders (in person, by phone, in writing) on the relevant national legislation.
- Assist the SC / EC members in writing final decisions.
- Review and proofread translated legal texts, if necessary.
- Participate in the orientation sessions held for the SC / EC working groups.
Specific tasks will include:
- Advise the SC / EC members and their respective working groups on various legal matters arising in the process of competition/vetting
- Prepare high-quality legal instruments needed to facilitate the competition/vetting
- Conduct legal analysis and research
- Provide comprehensive analysis of relevant legislation as well as monitor legislative amendments, court rulings.
IDEAL CANDIDATE PROFILE
Education and experience
- University degree in law
- Minimum of 3 years of demonstrated professional experience in criminal justice, legal drafting, legal analysis, or research
- Excellent written and spoken command of English and Ukrainian mandatory
Technical and behavioral competencies
- Interest in and capacity to assist political and policy developments and to relate them to IDLO’s mandate and activities.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication and team coordination skills; ability to work constructively with several internal and external stakeholders. Confident in any surroundings and at working at all levels when dealing with different stakeholders.
- Excellent legal writing, strong technical drafting and editing skills with attention to detail including when under pressure.
- Focus on quality: Ability to work with a high degree of accuracy and attention to detail in a busy environment.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Very good knowledge of the Microsoft Office programs
- Proven ability to see through tasks set and deliver results
- Keen sense of ethics, integrity, credibility, and commitment to IDLO’s mandate
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
The selected candidate will be offered a Special Service Agreement contract for a period of 12 months.
Applications will be screened on regular basis; a qualified applicant might be recruited before the deadline. In the interest of making the most effective use of resources, only short-listed candidates will be contacted during the selection process.
IDLO is an Equal Opportunity Employer and values diversity in all areas of its operations. We welcome applications of qualified and diverse candidates.
IDLO is committed to achieving a 50/50 gender balance at all levels within its workforce. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply for IDLO vacancies.
IDLO does not tolerate sexual exploitation or abuse, any kind of harassment, including harassment of a sexual nature; or discrimination. As such, IDLO will conduct careful reference and background checks of all selected candidates as part of its selection process.
DISCLAIMER AND CLOSING DATE
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by the Contractor assigned to this work. This may not be an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities.
All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality and in compliance with IDLO’s policy on personal data protection.
The Director-General of IDLO reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities or even to cancel the recruitment to meet business and organizational needs as necessary.
Application deadline: 16 January 2022 (23:59hrs Rome Time).