Logistics & HR Manager
LocationField based position in Kabul, Afghanistan. Working and living conditions may be very basic and require great resilience.
Starting Date & Initial Contract Details
As soon as possible. Full time, 24 months with possibility of extension.
Oversee the provision of the logistical and HR support for the programme. The role provides strategic direction, management and evaluation of all aspects of the logistics and HR departments, ensuring relevant information, reporting and accountability requirements are met. The role oversees an HR Deputy Manager and a Logistics Deputy Manager who take responsibility for the individual departments but receive coordination and guidance from the Logistics and HR Manager. Capacity building these departments will be a core part of the role.
Medair Afghanistan is a complex and dynamic country programme due to instability related to politics and security. Medair has been operating in Afghanistan since 1996 and is currently implementing multi-sectorial projects in health, nutrition, WASH and food security in vulnerable communities in the Central Highlands and Southern Afghanistan. There are plans to expand the current programme into new areas and potentially new sectors, as well as growing and strengthening local capacity.
Key Activity Areas
- Provide the technical oversight and ensure proper supply chain management practices and procedures are in place and maintained according to Medair standards. Oversee the procurement process in accordance with Medair policies and procedures, in an accountable, efficient and cost-effective manner.
- Provide planning support and advice to project managers and others making procurement requests, identify optimum supply routes, and maintain continuous overview of supply needs by providing updated procurement and fulfilment plans in alignment with project activity plans and timelines.
- Ensure that local market surveys are regularly carried out, to ensure a full knowledge of the availability and price of local items. Ensure supplier qualification procedures are adhered to & a supplier database created & maintained supplier status.
- Ensure maintenance of accurate filing systems, with documented and supported records of logistics transactions for audit purposes. Ensure country-wide warehousing is fit for purpose.
- Provide and collaborate on country-level strategic direction of the logistics department.
- Coordinate all matters regarding all types of equipment and assets including communication, IT and power, to ensure that equipment are managed diligently, operated in the most cost-efficient manner, and maintained appropriately. Management of equipment will include procurement, registration, allocation, tracking, maintenance, repair, replacement and reporting as well as training, authorisation, supervision and co-ordination with field bases to ensure optimum availability, usage and accountability.
- Implement and update logistics aspects of security plan to ensure resources and facilities are ready at all times for either hibernation or evacuation.
- Ensure all contracts are up to date, compliant and filed. Provide strategic direction for the HR department.
- Advise line managers on obligations for good practice on HR procedures, including appraisal and objective setting, disciplinary etc. Ensure payroll is compliant and accurate from the HR side.
- Ensure ethics trainings are being implemented across the country programme in accordance with the set schedule. Ensure their relevance to the teams receiving them.
- Manage the admin department, which includes project approvals and visas.
- Engage in the GSO-led HR Community of Practice, sharing experience and gaining advice from other country programmes. Foster a culture of staff growth in the country programme, from recruitment advice, to trainings/capacity building.
- Advise on disputes between staff, should they arise. Assist/lead on any ethical investigations that might arise.
- Lead/advise on recruitment best practice, ensuring HR guidelines are adhered to during the process.
- Represent Medair in a positive and professional manner contributing to the continuation of a positive image and overall credibility of the organization, notably through the application of Medair’s mandate, ethics and values.
- Proactively engage with suppliers, partners, local authorities, other NGOs, clusters and any other stakeholders, in order to plan, organize, and schedule distribution of goods and material.
- Ensure that HR procedures and policies are in line with Medair guidelines and the Afghan labour law.
- Provide line managers with any necessary training, advice, mentoring and coaching on performance management or any other relevant areas of HR management or procedures for their teams are followed and records are kept in accordance with Medair guidelines and local labour laws.
- Manage staff with integrity and foresight, and in accordance with HR procedures and policies to ensure that they maintain the highest standards of accountability and professionalism.
- Ensure that all logistics and relevant programme staff are adequately trained and create possibilities for capacity building, mentoring and coaching. Coordinate the delivery of training for national staff to increase their responsibilities in order to build capacity and ensure sustainability of programs.
- Build capacity of Deputy Logs Manager and Deputy HR Managers specifically.
- In conjunction with relevant managers, review, develop and implement (as applicable) systems to improve transparency. Ensure adequate anti-fraud procedures are in place to detect and ultimately prevent loss or fraud. Carry-out regular inspections and spot-checks to ensure the best use of Medair assets and resources.
- Ensure projects are implemented in line with donor proposals and requirements and in accordance with Medair, donor, country and international standards.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- Professional qualification in Human Resource Development and logistics or training in Supply Chain Management or a related field. Certification in Medical Logistics would be a plus. Security training.
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written).
Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC)
What is the ROC and why is it required?
- Minimum one-year experience in HR & logistics, management experience in emergency or development context.
- Experience of budget management and the ability to prepare complete and accurate financial reports.
- Experience working in a cross-cultural setting, preferably in the logistics sector.
- Advanced planning, coordination, assessment, analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Technical understanding of mechanical and communication equipment.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to work both independently and as a member of a team.
- Strong organisational abilities, excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent coaching skills and ability to train and encourage others, including cross-culturally.
- Knowledge of Humanitarian Essentials, Sphere and HAP Standards and other international humanitarian guidelines and protocols.
All new deploying international staff to Medair’s country programmes (and other roles which require field travel) should be fully vaccinated with a WHO-approved COVID vaccine, supported with a COVID vaccination certificate as evidence.