• FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality, background and culture
• Qualified female applicants, qualified nationals of non-and under-represented Members and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply
• Everyone who works for FAO is required to adhere to the highest standards of integrity and professional conduct, and to uphold FAO's values
• FAO, as a Specialized Agency of the United Nations, has a zero-tolerance policy for conduct that is incompatible with its status, objectives and mandate, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination
• All selected candidates will undergo rigorous reference and background checks
• All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
• FAO staff are subject to the authority of the Director-General, who may assign them to any of the activities or offices of the Organization.
The Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) contributes to the achievement of the 2030 Agenda through its Strategic Framework by supporting the transformation to More efficient, inclusive, resilient and sustainable agri-food systems, for Better production, Better nutrition, a Better environment and a Better life, leaving no one behind.
The Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) supports the transformation to More efficient, inclusive, resilient and sustainable agri-food systems, for Better production, Better nutrition, Better environment and Better life, leaving no one behind.
Meeting Services (CSGM) and Language Services (CSGL) are responsible for meeting scheduling and programming, and for the provision of interpretation, translation and terminology services. The position is located in the Interpretation Group (CSGLI).
The Interpreter/Translator reports to the Senior Interpreter (Head of Interpretation Group).
Simultaneous, consecutive and whispered interpretation into Arabic from English and French as well as into English from Arabic.
Interprets accurately and completely speeches covering a wide range of subjects and provides accurate and complete translations of a wide range of documents.
• Provides simultaneous, consecutive and whispered interpretation from two or more working languages into the target at both internal and external organization meetings, conferences and legislative sessions normally dealing with a wide range of subject matter or substantive topics;
• Contributes to lexicological research and the compilation of specialized multilingual glossaries and terminology bulletins for interpreters' use at FAO meetings;
• Translates meeting documents, technical papers and studies, periodical publications and official correspondence from two or more working languages into the target language as time permits and when not interpreting;
• Advises on the selection of freelance interpreters; supports the work performed by the staff of the unit and by external collaborators; assists new freelance interpreters with guidance and training.
• Interprets both simultaneously and consecutively primarily into Arabic from English, and from at least one of the other Organization's languages, as well as into English from Arabic;
• Translates into Arabic from English and French technical papers and studies, background papers and reports, periodical publications and official correspondence.
The languages of the Organization are Arabic, Chinese, English, French, Russian and Spanish.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
• Advanced university degree in Linguistic Studies or Translation and/or diploma from an internationally recognized interpreter/translator school
• Five years of relevant experience in simultaneous and consecutive interpretation, including experience in translation and/or revision
• Excellent knowledge of Arabic and working knowledge of English and French.
• Results Focus
• Building Effective Relationships
• Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
• Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions is desirable
• Extent and relevance of experience in simultaneous and consecutive interpretation into Arabic and retour into English in an international organization
• Working knowledge of Italian is desirable
• Extent and relevance of experience in translation/revision work in an international organization
• Demonstrated ability to produce translated/revised texts of idiomatic quality from meeting documents and technical material
• Extent of experience in the use of Computer Assisted Translation Tools (CAT)
• Extent of experience in terminology