Senior Green Investment Officer
Senior Green Investment Officer
The Senior Investment Officer will support GGGI's Thailand country program to identify and design green investment projects. The primarily focus is on sustainable energy (renewable energy and energy efficiency), sustainable waste management, and green buildings sectors.
He/She will support the development of the investment pipeline, financial models, financing vehicle concepts and project proposals to attract funding from appropriate funding institutions, mechanisms and agencies such as international funds, bilateral and multilateral funding mechanisms, private equity funds, guarantee funds and other climate investors.
The Senior Officer will work as part of country program and team. GGGI works in close collaboration with the government partners in the different ministries with the overall aim to support achievement of Thailand's Nationally Determined Contributions (NDC) targets.
The Senior Officer will have the following tasks and duties:
- Leads the preparation of concept notes and conduct analysis for existing and potential investment opportunities.
- Leads the development of risk management tool for the domestic bank partners to manager debt and equity portfolios, as well as monitoring, reporting and verification of an impact
- Support Green Climate Fund accreditation of financial institution(s) and retain knowledge of the process for subsequent dissemination.
- Responsible for identifying investment options and structures, innovative financing mechanisms and/or de-risking mechanisms to overcome regulatory and institutional barriers for the green investments.
- Prepare investment documentations, including investment briefs, memos, presentations, financial models, and scenario analysis.
- Originate green investment projects pipelines and program concepts for GGGI Thailand that can support Thailand’s green policy targets.
The scope of work will include indenting and engaging with government partners, private and public sector finance institutions and initiatives. The Senior Officer shall:
- Engage financial institutions and commercial lenders in the development of projects to ensure that the initiatives projects adequately represent their vision, interests, criteria and objectives.
- Facilitate, where necessary, connections between public and private institutions to develop investment projects and/or innovative funding mechanisms.
- Collaborate with SME circular economy project developers and support selected partners in project documentation following the best global practices
- Support further development and expansion of GGGI's network of financial institutions, banks, funds and other relevant organizations both domestically and internationally.
- Provide ad-hoc support as member of the integrated GGGI Investment Team in the development of the GGGI project portfolio.
- Assisting and coordinating the provincial investment activity with the GGGI provincial representatives and municipality partners in waste management sector.
- Carry out other ad hoc investment related assignments in line with GGGI's mandate and targets for Thailand.
- Identifying and developing green projects, funds, bonds and facilities.
- High quality investment documentation, including business case development and financial modeling
- Mobilizing climate finance and investments in green growth sectors in Thailand.
- Delivering high-quality proposals for investment projects in the Green Growth sectors.
- Providing hands on guidance to the National Consultant Firms for the delivery of planned activities.
- Leading the preparation of all project reporting on Green Climate Fund supported activities in Thailand including responsibility and timely completion of tasks prioritized by the government partners.
The successful applicant must demonstrate outstanding professional competence and hold exemplary and relevant academic credentials. As noted, the position requires extensive experience in deal origination and financial analysis skills in the Green Growth sectors. Knowledge of Thai policy and governance in the Green Growth sectors, commercial risk assessment, project finance, debt instruments and multi-stakeholder collaboration is needed. Practical experience in arranging investment deals, pitching of bankable projects and/or financial deal structuring is important.
Specifically, the application should provide convincing evidence of the following:
- A bachelor's degree in finance, accounting, business management or economics. Relevant financial certifications such as CFA will be an added advantage.
- Preferred (10) years of relevant professional experience related to project development, direct investments and financial modeling.
- Solid understanding of various financial products, debt/equity instruments being used in Thai finance/investment sector. Direct working experience with any of these products will be an advantage
- Excellent Thai and English writing skills is a must, writing examples might be requested as well as potentially a written exercise as part of the selection procedure.
- Excellent understanding of the socio-political and cultural contexts of Green Growth governance in Thailand.
- Experience working directly with one or more Investment banks/ Private Equity/ multilaterals would be an advantage.
- Exceptional candidates without green investment experience with strong convention investment background with the leading global investment firms will be considered.
- An extensive network of professional contacts among financial institutions and impact investors would be an added advantage.
- A good track record of working on complex investment processes, politically sensitive issues with government, banking sector, non-banking financial products and public sector finance is desirable, specially experience with blended finance.
- Understand and actively supports GGGI's mission, vision and values.
- Outstanding stakeholder engagement, client relationship, communication, teamwork, and consensus building.
- Process and share information easily and excellent at problem solving.
- Manage emotions and stress positively, builds rapport and resolves conflict easily.
- Promote creativity and innovation among staff.
- Work effectively with other teams of a high degree of cultural and professional diversity.
Under current COVID-19 circumstances, this position is expected to primarily start under 'work-from-home' protocol and eventually moving to physical meetings and physical office presence, as situation permits.
Child protection – GGGI is committed to child protection, irrespective of whether any specific area of work involves direct contact with children. GGGI’s Child Protection Policy is written in accordance with the Convention on the Rights of the Child.