Youth Casework Intern
Salt Lake City (United States of America)
Please note: This is an unpaid internship position. No financial compensation, including compensation for relocation, is available.
In addition to completing this application, interested applicants should email a resume, cover letter, and two letters of recommendation to [email protected] with “Youth Casework Intern” in the subject line.
BACKGROUND: Founded in 1933, the IRC is a leading nonsectarian, voluntary organization providing relief, protection and resettlement services for refugees and victims of oppression or violent conflict. In the U.S., the IRC resettles approximately 11,000 refugees per year and provides numerous program services to assist the refugee from their arrival through citizenship. The IRC in Salt Lake City opened it office in 1994, and provides resettlement services through extended case management to newly arrived refugees for up to 24-months as well as over twenty different programs to educate and empower refugees.
SCOPE OF WORK: The Youth Casework Intern will support the Youth Casework Assistant and the rest of the Education team in enrolling new refugee students in school by providing training to families and completing school enrollment paperwork. The intern will also provide logistical support to help students learn how to get to school such as walking and bus orientations on the first day of school. The intern will support other youth program services as needed.
• Make phone calls and conduct home visits to newly arrived families for education intake appointments.
• Gather clients’ documents and complete school enrollment applications for refugee students.
• Teach students how to walk or take the bus to school and coordinate logistics with Education and Casework team.
• Build positive relationships with refugee youth and create fun and supportive environment.
• Organize and put together school backpacks with school supplies for new students.
• Assist with transportation, as needed. It is helpful if intern can drive but is not mandatory.
• Other related duties as assigned including monthly office support & reception coverage.
1. Gain better understanding of U.S. education system, including the context in Salt Lake County.
2. Practice working with an interpreter and building interpersonal skills.
3. Gain hands-on experience liaising between a service provider and academic institution.