Catering & Events Intern - Spice Kitchen Incubator
Salt Lake City (United States of America)
Please note: This is an unpaid internship position. No financial compensation, including compensation for relocation, is available.
In addition to completing this application, interested applicants should email a resume, cover letter, and two letters of recommendation to [email protected] with “SKI Catering & Events Intern” in the subject line.
BACKGROUND: Founded in 1933, the IRC is a leading nonsectarian, voluntary organization providing relief, protection and resettlement services for refugees and victims of oppression or violent conflict. In the U.S., the IRC resettles approximately 11,000 refugees per year and provides numerous program services to assist the refugee from their arrival through citizenship. The IRC in Salt Lake City opened it office in 1994, and provides resettlement services through extended case management to newly arrived refugees for up to 24-months as well as over twenty different programs to educate and empower refugees.
SCOPE OF INTERN WORK: Spice Kitchen Incubator is a culinary incubator program of the International Rescue Committee in Salt Lake City that assists new Americans and low-to-moderate income individuals plan, launch, and sustain their own food businesses through affordable technical assistance, subsidized commercial kitchen rental, and access to market opportunities. This intern will support the International Rescue Committee in Salt Lake City’s Spice Kitchen Incubator program, a food business incubator program supporting new American and low-to-moderate income entrepreneurs. The intern will assist Spice Kitchen Incubator businesses during their time at special events, and will work with the Markets and Outreach Coordinator to plan and carry out catering events for Spice Kitchen customers.
COMMITMENT: 12-16 weeks starting in January 2022 with option to extend, 15-20 hours per week.
• Coordinate with Markets and Outreach Coordinator in the facilitation of caterings, food truck events, Spice-to-Go, and Community Food Boxes.
• Assist and educate entrepreneurs about the planning and behind-the-scenes logistics involved in various events including catering, food truck parking, Spice-to-Go, and Community Food Boxes.
• Confirm initial details for events and entrepreneur. Prepare entrepreneur(s) and menu(s) for event, draft event contracts, oversee invoices and payments, and create and print menu materials.
• Assist with catering and event drop-offs and set ups, and tear downs when necessary.
• Work with entrepreneurs to ensure timely scheduling and reservations in the commercial kitchen.
• As needed and relevant: Support entrepreneurs at special events, including food handling, set up and tear down, managing the cash register, recording and tracking sales, commercial kitchen and equipment oversight, and general customer service as needed.
1. The intern will gain professional experience in hospitality, food and customer service, and event planning.
2. The intern will gain experience and deepen understanding of working and communicating with diverse populations including English language learners and refugees.
3. The intern will learn relevant skills and knowledge in food business ownership, events operations, and food business regulations.