Volunteers for Emergency Missions - Pool of Experts
Malteser International is the international humanitarian relief agency of the Sovereign Order of Malta. For over 60 years we provide relief and recovery for people during and following conflicts and disasters around the world. Christian values and humanitarian principles form the foundations of our work. In over 30 countries in Africa, the Americas, Asia and the Middle East, we support people in need – regardless of their religion, origin or political convictions.
Malteser International has set itself the goal of being able to provide rapid and comprehensive humanitarian aid to those affected by natural and man-made disasters around the world. For this purpose, we have set up a Pool of Experts with well-trained and experienced relief workers which are regularly deployed on a voluntary basis to crisis and disaster regions of the world. From setting up a water treatment plant to coordinating refugee camps or providing acute medical care in emergencies, these teams make an irreplaceable contribution to people in need. After an extensive training with Malteser International, the unsalaried volunteers usually deploy to the disaster area for 2 to 6 weeks.
To expand our Pool of Experts, we are looking for motivated and open-minded individuals with a wide range of technical and medical backgrounds:
Specialists and assistant physicians in the fields of surgery, anaesthesia, internal and general medicine, or gynaecologyHealth care and nursing staff with experience in surgical outpatient departments as well as midwivesEmergency medical service personnel (e.g., paramedics)Specialists in logisticsSpecialists in the technical field (e.g., water supply and sanitation/WASH)Experts in finance and administrationProfessionals in the field of public health or mental health (e.g. health professionals, psychologists, trauma therapists)Experts in Safety & Security
- University studies and/or vocational training in one of the above-mentioned areas
- At least 2 years of professional experience, preferably including experience abroad
- Reliability and a strong sense of responsibility as well as intercultural competence and the ability to work in a team
- Mental and physical resilience needed to work under extreme conditions anywhere in the world
- Time and willingness to travel and deploy at short notice in case of emergency
- English proficiency. French, Spanish or other language skills are an advantage
- Age: at least 21 years old
- Acceptance of Malteser International’s values
- For administrative reasons, we are currently only able to consider applications from Europe (Malteser International Staff are excluded)
What We Offer:
- Suitable interested candidates will be invited to our Induction Training (Module 1), which is the basis for your deployment and further training with us.
- After successful admission to the Pool of Experts, you will be prepared for a deployment abroadthrough a comprehensive training programme (including the basics and standards of humanitarian aid, stress management, security, specialised trainings etc.).
- Through exchange and cooperation with other members, you can also further expand your network and your knowledge in relevant areas.
- During your volunteer assignment, Malteser International will cover the travel costs and provide you with comprehensive insurance.