Senior Media Officer ( S2)
Albania (Colombia) | Tirana
General Minimum Requirements
The general minimum requirements for working with the OSCE are:
- Excellent physical condition
- Possession of a valid automobile driving license and ability to drive using manual transmission
- Ability to cope with physical hardship and willingness to work extra hours and in an environment with limited infrastructure
Field of Expertise Requirements
The general minimum requirements for working in this field of expertise are:
- First-university degree in journalism, international relations or related field, communications, public relations, media studies or professional certification in journalism, public relations or media technology;
- Experience in working in or with the media or in public relations, particularly in gathering, organizing, editing and disseminating information
- Excellent oral and written English communication skills, including the ability to prepare news- related documents and public presentations in simple, clear language for a broad non-diplomatic audience
- Good analytical and interpersonal skills
Level of Professional Competence Requirements
Furthermore, this level of responsibility requires the following:
First-level university degree
Minimum 6 years of relevant professional experience,
Minimum of three years of management/supervisory experience
Mission Specific Requirements
Additionally, this particular post has specific requirements:
- Extensive knowledge and experience in electronic or print media on a senior level or extensive experience in development work with media in transition countries
- Having been involved with the specifics of public broadcasters as a nationally accessible provider of independent media content
- Extensive knowledge of media legislation and professional standards for media.
- Knowledge and insight in quality control of programs.
- Experience of working in an international organization.
- Sound analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Possesses negotiation and diplomatic skills and proven experience in this area.
- Knowledge of the political environment relevant to the OSCE Presence in Albania, OSCE principles and commitments, and mandate.
- Proven experience in monitoring, reporting, policy-making, and/or institutional reform projects in the media field, including project management experience.
- Excellent organizational skills, with ability to draft reports and work under pressure, manage multiple tasks and process large amounts of information and within short deadlines.
- Cultural sensitivity and judgment.
- Professional fluency in English with excellent communication (both oral and written) skills.
- Demonstrated gender awareness and sensitivity, and an ability to integrate a gender perspective into tasks and activities;
- Ability and willingness to work as a member of team, with people of different cultural, and religious backgrounds, different gender, and diverse political views, while maintaining impartiality and objectivity;
- Computer literate with practical experience using Microsoft applications.
- Experience in media regulatory affairs.
- Knowledge of the political situation in South Eastern European countries.
- Working experience in public Broadcasting.
Tasks and Responsibilities
Under the overall supervision of the Head of Democratization Department, the successful candidate will be tasked with the following duties:
- Providing strategic direction for the Media portfolio on media capacity building;
- Providing policy advice to the Senior Management of the Department on media-related issues;
- Working on further developing the Albanian media institutions and legislation, harmonizing local media standards with European ones, strengthening independent media and media institutions, cultivating responsible media freedom and supporting good journalistic practice;
- Developing, administering and monitoring the implementation and evaluation of media development projects, as well as the support of local media;
- Providing relevant written and verbal communication, such as analytical reports, presentations, briefing notes, etc.;
- Administering and organizing training seminars and visiting delegations;
- Establishing and/or maintaining contacts with directors, editors and journalists of the broadcasting, electronic and print media;
- Co-operating with International Organizations and CSOs present in Albania, and if necessary, with OSCE colleagues in neighboring missions and the Office of the OSCE Representative on Freedom of the Media;
- Providing advice on best European practices regarding media legislation;
- Attending meetings and represents the Media Development Unit as required;
- Performing other duties as required.
For more detailed information on the structure and work of the OSCE Presence in Albania, please see: Presence in Albania | OSCE
The OSCE is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages the nomination of qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious, ethnic and social backgrounds. Please note that nationals or permanent residents of the country of the duty station are not eligible to apply.
Candidates should be aware that OSCE officials shall conduct themselves at all times in a manner befitting the status of an international civil servant. This includes avoiding any action which may adversely reflect on the integrity, independence and impartiality of their position and function as officials of the OSCE. The OSCE is committed to applying the highest ethical standards in carrying out its mandate. For more information on the values set out in OSCE Competency Model, please see https://jobs.osce.org/resources/document/our-competency-model.
Candidates should, prior to applying, verify with their respective nominating authority to which extent financial remuneration and/or benefit packages will be offered.
Please apply to your relevant authorities well in advance of the deadline expiration to ensure timely processing of your application. Delayed nominations will not be considered. The OSCE can only process Secondment applications that have been nominated by participating States. For queries relating to your application, please refer to the respective delegation as listed here: https://www.osce.org/contacts/delegations.