Head, UNIX/LINUX Support Unit (P-4)
|Division:||International Monitoring System Division|
|Section:||Network and Systems Support Section|
|Unit:||UNIX/LINUX Support Unit|
|Type of Appointment:||Fixed Term Appointment|
|Date of Issuance:||13 December 2021|
|Deadline for Applications:|| |
|Reporting Date:||As soon as possible|
Please note that all candidates should adhere to CTBTO Values of Integrity, Professionalism and Respect for Diversity.
Qualified female applicants and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
A roster of suitable candidates may be established for similar positions at the same level as a result of this selection process for a period of two (2) years.
The Preparatory Commission for the Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty Organization with its headquarters in Vienna is the international organization setting up the global verification system foreseen under the Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty (CTBT), which is the treaty banning any nuclear-weapon-test explosion or any other nuclear explosion. The Treaty provides for a global verification regime, including a network of 337 stations worldwide, a communications system, an international data centre and on-site inspections to monitor compliance.
This position is located in the International Monitoring Systems (IMS) Division that applies engineering and science to develop, instantiate, and to operate measurement stations around the world as well as to receive, process and disseminate the data collected by these stations as well as related analysis products.
Under the supervision of the Chief, Network and Systems Support Section, to:
Duties and Responsibilties
Manage the assets and the resources of the Unit to provide relevant IT services supporting the core mandate of the Secretariat.
Provide support for the operation of computer systems and in delivering/managing scaleable IT infrastructure services for the PTS; develop the annual work programme and related budget for the Unit and ensure the proper implementation of the stated activities;
Provide technical expertise for the planning and definition of new system requirement, perform feasibility and performance studies, including benchmark, capacity planning, sizing for the UNIX/LINUX environment of the Secretariat; responsible for the installation, configuration, system administration and maintenance of hardware, hypervisors, Linux operating systems and other infrastructure elements such as management tools (puppet, LDAP, CMDB, etc), application delivery controllers and security appliances;
Analyze, specify, design, troubleshoot and implement a large capacity SAN/NAS, including disks, tapes, backups, and a fiber channel network;
Analyze, develop and/or implement system management reporting procedures and tools, providing reports on performance, availability, capacity and configuration;
Provide advice to support diagnosis and resolution of problems in the UNIX/LINUX computer infrastructure of the Secretariat liaising with user divisions;
Ensure that infrastructure services are optimally designed, configured and supported to achieve high availability and functionality;
Participate in or lead projects to improve computing infrastructure services and develop procedures to support newly implemented technologies;
Manage the planning, development, deployment and support for software systems and related components, supporting the missions of the Secretariat;
Manage the planning, deployment and support of the private and public cloud (IaaS and PaaS) infrastructure of the Secretariat;
Plan, organize and supervise the work of the Unit;
Manage the Unit’s contracts and suppliers relationship, coordinate the procurement of IT equipment, software and assets and services;
Perform other duties as assigned.
- Advanced university degree in computer science, information or communication systems or a related field;
Work Experience and Qualifications
At least seven (7) years of relevant working experience in computer technology, including experience in developing and overseeing large centralized and globally distributed information systems, preferably three (3) years of which should have been in an international level;
Demonstrated performance at a supervisory level is essential;
Experience overseeing software development projects is required;
Strong contract management experience is required;
Expertise in Linux system administration, virtualization, containerization and storage management is required;
Knowledge of cloud management tools and techniques is required; experience in multi-cloud or private cloud environments is desirable;
Experience implementing IT security systems and tools is desirable; Experience providing input to an information security programme is an asset;
Knowledge of network design and protocols is an asset;
Sound level of judgement, responsibility and initiative is required;
Strong analytical and project management skills are essential;
Ability to identify issues, analyze and participate in the resolution of issues/problems in a deadline-driven environment;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English are essential.
- Working knowledge of other official CTBTO languages is desirable.
- Professionalism - Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations;
- Communication - Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from other and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match the audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed;
- Planning and organizing - Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary;
- Team work - Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organisational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others' ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; builds consensus for task purpose and direction with team members; supports and acts in accordance with final group decisions, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings;
- Accountability - Takes ownership of all responsibilities and honors commitments; delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost and quality standards; operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules; supports subordinates, provides oversight and takes responsibility for delegated assignments; takes personal responsibility for his/her own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable;
- Creativity - Actively seeks to improve programmes or services; offers new and different options to solve problems or meet client needs; promotes and persuades others to consider new ideas; takes calculated risks on new and unusual ideas; thinks “outside the box”; takes an interest in new ideas and new ways of doing things; is not bound by current thinking or traditional approaches;
- Client orientation - Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view; establishes and maintains productive relationships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; keeps clients informed of progress and setbacks in projects; meets timeline for delivery of products or services to clients;
- Commitment to continuous learning - Keeps abreast of new developments in own occupation/profession; actively seeks to develop oneself professionally and personally; contributes to the learning of colleagues and subordinates; shows willingness to learn from others; seeks feedback to learn and improve;
- Technological Awareness - Keeps abreast of available technology; understands applicability and limitations of technology to the work of the office; actively seeks to apply technology to appropriate tasks, shows willingness to learn new technology.
- Leadership - Serves as a role model that other people want to follow; empowers others to translate vision into results; is proactive in developing strategies to accomplish objectives; establishes and maintains relationships with a broad range of people to understand needs and gain support; anticipates and resolves conflicts by pursuing mutually agreeable solutions; drives for change and improvement; does not accept the status quo; shows the courage to take unpopular stands.
- Vision - Identifies strategic issues, opportunities and risks; clearly communicates links between the Organization’s strategy and the work unit’s goals; generates and communicates broad and compelling organizational direction, inspiring others to pursue that same direction; conveys enthusiasm about future possibilities.
- Empowering Others - Delegates responsibility, clarifies expectations, and gives staff autonomy in important areas of their work; encourages others to set challenging goals; holds others accountable for achieving results related to their area of responsibility; genuinely values all staff members’ input and expertise; shows appreciation and rewards achievement and effort; involves others when making decisions that affect them.
- Building Trust - Provides an environment in which others can talk and act without fear of repercussion; manages in a deliberate and predictable way; operates with transparency; has no hidden agenda; places confidence in colleagues, staff members and clients; gives proper credit to others; follows through on agreed upon actions; treats sensitive and confidential information appropriately.
- Managing Performance - Delegates appropriate responsibility, accountability and decision-making authority; makes sure that roles, responsibilities and reporting lines are clear to each staff member; accurately judges the amount of time and resources needed to accomplish a task and matches task to skills; monitors progress against milestones and deadlines; regularly discusses performance and provides feedback and coaching to staff; encourages risk taking and supports creativity and initiative; actively supports the development and career aspirations of staff; appraises performance fairly.
- Judgment/Decision Making - Identifies the key issues in a complex situation, and comes to the heart of the problem quickly; gathers relevant information before making a decision; considers positive and negative impact on others and on the Organization; proposes a course of action or makes a recommendation based on all available information; checks assumptions against facts; determines that the actions proposed will satisfy the expressed and underlying needs for the decision; makes tough decisions when necessary.
CTBTO offers an attractive compensation and benefits package in accordance with the policies of the International Civil Service Commission. For more information on UN salaries, allowances and benefits, see link: http://www.un.org/Depts/OHRM/salaries_allowances/salary.htm). The salary offered may be subject to deductions to the United Nations Joint Staff Pension Fund and Health Insurance Scheme.
- All applications must be submitted through the CTBTO e-Recruitment system before the deadline stated in the vacancy announcement.
- The CTBTO Preparatory Commission retains the discretion not to make any appointment to this vacancy; to make an appointment at a lower grade in particular if the candidate has less than the qualifications required; to make an appointment with a modified job description, or to offer a contract term for a shorter duration than indicated in the vacancy announcement.
- Please note that the CTBTO will only consider academic credentials or degrees obtained from an educational institution recognized in the IAU/UNESCO list.
- The CTBTO reserves the right to undertake correspondence only with shortlisted candidates.
- Candidates under serious consideration for selection will be subject to a reference-checking process or be requested to provide performance assessments.