The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT®, is a not -for-profit research and training organization with partners in over 100 countries. Please refer to our website for more information: www.cimmyt.org
We are seeking a highly skilled and motivated candidate for the position of Research Technician to be based in our Southern Africa Office in Harare, Zimbabwe. This is a nationally recruited position and is open to all Zimbabweans with excellent academic records. This position will support on-going research activities in Zimbabwe and collaborating projects in the Southern Africa region as needed. The incumbent will work under the supervision of scientists in implementing the Fall Armyworm project and play an important role in participating in field surveys, data collection and data analysis.
- Lead the implementation of a Fall Armyworm project in two Districts of Zimbabwe including data collection, farm surveys and analysis of results
- Contribute to the distribution of inputs and coordination of additional on-farm and on-station trials in Zimbabwe as needed
- Manage and supervise on-station and on-farm trials defined in annual planning meetings with quality assurance on planting, field operations and harvesting
- Support the reporting of project activities with pre-analyzed data and draft reports to facilitate smooth operations of the IDP program
- Supervise the work and progress of BSc students attached to CIMMYT’s IDP program in Harare
Required academic qualifications, skills, and attitudes:
- At least a BSc in Agriculture Science with a strong focus on Agronomy. An MSc would be an added advantage
- At least 5 years of consecutive work experience in managing and supervising agronomic trials independently and/or under supervision
- Previous work experience at a national or international research center would be an added advantage
- Experience in collating and analyzing agronomic trials
- Experience in reporting to project teams and funders
- Advanced knowledge in standard computer programmes (MS Office)
- Basic knowledge in statistical programs and analysis tools – especially in R.
- Proven language skills (fluency in English both oral and written)
- Class 4 Drivers licence is a requirement
- The selected candidate must be able to demonstrate the following competencies: Communication, Critical Thinking, Negotiation and Team Work
To apply, please submit your applications to the following e-mail address: [email protected] Cover Letter should refer explicitly to the essential qualifications, skills, and competencies stated above providing clear and concrete examples of where, when, and how the experience was gained and expected remuneration. Incomplete applications will not be taken into consideration. The closing date for receipt of applications is 17th December 2021.
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
CIMMYT is an equal opportunity employer. Women are encouraged to apply.