Deputy Finance Manager
Spokane (United States of America)
IRC Background: The IRC Washington provides trauma-informed services to refugees and other qualified immigrants to support a positive resettlement experience and the achievement of client self-sufficiency. The IRC Washington works closely with clients, colleagues, and external parties to develop service and/or self-sufficiency plans to meet individual client needs and preferences utilizing a broad range of financial, medical, social, vocational, and other services and resources in accordance with client eligibility and program requirements. IRC opened an office in Seattle in 1976 and provides a continuum of services including intensive case management, employment and economic empowerment services, immigration assistance, health and wellness programming, and education support to refugee and immigrant families in Washington State. In late 2021, IRC Washington was authorized by the Federal Government to open a new office site in Spokane
Job Overview:Under the supervision of Spokane Site Director and with technical oversight of the Finance Manager, the Deputy Finance Manager controls and manages the implementation of the accounting systems and collects and processes IRC’s financial data in order to provide management, donors, grantors, creditors, and others with timely, accurate and understandable information.The IRC in Washington has portfolio of multiple federal, state and private contracts and grants as well as several subcontracts.
Finance & Budget Compliance & Control
- Ensure office compliance with IRC’s accounting policies vis-à-vis fund accounting as noted in IRC’s finance manual and generally accepted accounting principles.
- Prepare and administer IRC Spokane Office’s annual and program budgets, as well as budgeting processes to feed in the overall state offices budget.
- Analyses in depth all financial activities and keeps the Finance Manager and Program Managers advised of all situations which have the potential for a negative impact on internal controls or financial performance.
- Assist in supervising the office banking arrangements.
- In conjunction with the Site Director, monitor and track the account receivables for Spokane
Monthly Close & Reconciliation
- Reconcile field office’s database against HQ’s and Spokane’s/Seattle’s office database on a monthly basis and investigate and resolve difference in coordination with the Regional Controller.
- Ensures that balance sheet reconciliations are completed and reviewed with the Finance Manager.
- In the event of the Sr Finance Coordinator not closing the IRC Washington month-end, and in conjunction with the Finance Manager prepare month-end closing financial reports and submit to IRC NY as per scheduled due dates.
- In the event of the Sr Finance Coordinator not closing the IRC Washington month-end, and in conjunction with the Finance Manager make appropriate month end adjustments journal entries including reallocation to proper source and account codes.
- Prepare reconciliation journal entries for bulk purchase inventory for household supplies, metro tickets, and cash and check payments in coordination with appropriate staff.
·Manage and prepare reconciliation journal entries for office credit cards.
- Provide office management and program staff with monthly actual-to-budget expenditure reports and analysis for all grants
- Oversee grant reporting and compliance in the financial area within Spokane office.
- Coordinate with program lead in preparing invoices for local grants both performance based and cost reimbursement contracts.
- Update R&P flex report weekly and notify R&P team accordingly if there is any short fall on direct assistance.
Financial Transactions & Reporting
- Review all accounting transactions to ensure proper coding and enter all approved transactions into IRC’s accounting software.
- Process all approved payments requests.
- Oversight the field office finance department activities and schedules to meet the financial reporting requirements and deadlines specified by HQ and donors.
- Prepare financial reports to various donors as per contractual obligations.
- Supervises the preparation of Cash Transfer Requests to Seattle office and ensures that appropriate balances are maintained to facilitate grant implementation and unrestricted funds.
- Coordinate with the Finance Manager to manage the office banking arrangement, administrative expenses, and reports.
- Maintain account files, including monthly finance report folder, lease agreements for all equipment, property, etc.
- Facilitate any external or internal audit.
- In the absence of the Finance Manager, act as a member of IRC Washington Senior Management Team
- Participate in all staff meetings, staff development activities, and fully engage as a member of the IRC Washington team
- Comply with all policies, procedures, and protocols of the agency
- Other duties as assigned by the Spokane Site Director and the Finance Manager
Key Working Relationships:
Position Reports to:Spokane Site Director
Indirect Reporting: Finance Manager
Other Internal and/or external contacts:
Internal: Program Departments; Operations Department, HR Department, Development Department and Finance Team.
External:Volunteers, Interns, Vendors, donors, granters.