Technical Engineer Support
FAO seeks gender, geographical and linguistic diversity in its staff and international consultants in order to best serve FAO Members in all regions.
- FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality, background and culture
- Qualified female applicants, qualified nationals of non-and under-represented Members and person with disabilities are encouraged to apply
- Everyone who works for FAO is required to adhere to the highest standards of integrity and professional conduct, and to uphold FAO's values
- FAO, as a Specialized Agency of the United Nations, has a zero-tolerance policy for conduct that is incompatible with its status, objectives and mandate, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination
- All selected candidates will undergo rigorous reference and background checks
- All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
- FAO staff are subject to the authority of the Director-General, who may assign them to any of the activities or offices of the Organization.
This post is located in FAO Brazil, duty station Brasília. The Technical Engineer will conduct and monitor the issues relating Technical Inspection regarding the meeting room construction.
Lilian Romera, Representative Assistant of FAOR in Brazil
The candidate for this vacancy should be able to manage the issues relating technical inspection with the construction specifications, requirements and bases established in the contracts between FAO and the supplier that have been awarded meeting room construction.
Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Agree on the programme of building work with contractor and engineers to ensure that there is complete understanding of what is required
- Support on the solicitation process (Invitation to Bid) technical evaluation.
- Monitor and follow up on the correct performance and fulfillment of the Terms of Reference in accordance with the construction specifications, requirements and bases established in the contracts between FAO and the supplier that have been awarded the respective contract.
- Carry out said duties by issuing instructions, decisions, the certificates indicated in the respective contracts and the orders that are necessary for the satisfactory services execution.
- Observe that the regulations related to the areas in question are complied with (electrical, air conditioning, ventilation, heating, etc.), in the services execution of the contractor company.
- Support FAO Brasil with the coordination for the services execution, delivery of materials and any other activity necessary to ensure good compliance according to the deadlines of the workplan.
- Ensure that, in the event of any modification of the specifications of the works/services, of the designs or final approved drawings or plans related to the same, as well as any modification of the provisions of the Contract that could give rise to additional costs to the Organization, do not commit the Organization to increased costs. Ensure that any change, if it is essential due to technical necessity, is duly informed, evaluated and delivered to FAO Brasil for its due approval.
- Carry out testing of samples of materials and supplies, as well as checking the work, if deemed necessary, at the Contractor's expense, in order to ensure compliance with the relevant specifications and standards.
- Report, at least twice a week, the progress of the execution of the works/services, to the FAO Contract Manager, report possible risks of delay or changes according to the work plan to ensure due compliance with the committed times.
- Review, approve and ensure that the proper certificates of the work/services are delivered as detailed in the service contract (including the certificate of Completion of the Works).
- Follow up on performance tests and commissioning, in order to verify their correct installation and at the same time check the performance announced by the manufacturers.
- Carry out at least 3 technical visits per week to ensure the proper execution of the work/services, quality of standards, control and compliance with the work plan accordingly.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- University Degree Engineering.
- At least ten years’ experience in engineering and in project management of construction and renovation projects in Brazil;
- Excellent communication skills and a good command of Portuguese;
- Working knowledge of FIDIC short-form contract will be considered as an advantage;
- Nationality of Brazil or resident in the country with a regular work permit.
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Civil engineering and construction specialization courses;
- Technical engineering the domains of electricity and HVAC;
- Construction site safety expertise;
- Working knowledge in English or Spanish would be an asset;
- Knowledge of computer-aided design programs, AutoCAD required
- Excellent project design, implementation, evaluation and monitoring skills and methodologies;
- Ability to write reports.
Please note that all candidates should adhere to FAO Values of Commitment to FAO, Respect for All and Integrity and Transparency.