Associate Scientist (Ref:2021/12)
The International Potato Center (CIP) is seeking to recruit a dynamic and experience Associate Scientist to conduct ex-ante socio-economic impact assessment of the late blight resistant potato varieties in the four countries of the recently awarded ‘Global Biotech Potato Partnership’ project by USAID.
The Position: The Associate Scientist will be based in Nairobi-Kenya and will report to the Scientist, Agricultural Economist and co-report to the Leader of Biotechnology.
· Conducts stakeholder and market analyses with a particular focus on implications on potato exports markets
· Organizes expert elicitation workshops in 4 Asian and Sub-Saharan countries for primary data collection and data verification.
· Collects secondary data for ex-ante foresight modeling from national statistics databases, reports, and reviewing existing peer-reviewed literature, including grey literature.
· Contributes to project reporting and preparation of scientific manuscripts to be published in peer-reviewed journals
· Build internal and external contacts to develop relationships for future collaborations.
· Keep team members informed of the latest scientific advances in their fields of development.
· Develop new projects proposals and applications for external research funding by building on existing strengths and experience.
- PhD degree in Economics, Agricultural economics, environmental economics, or related field.
- At least 4 years of working experience, with 2+ years of experience in ex-ante economic modeling in a developing country context (recent PhD graduates with strong ex-ante economic modeling skills are encouraged to apply as well).
- Demonstrated ability to collect primary and secondary data.
- Ability to organize and facilitate workshops is a plus.
- Willingness to travel to Asian and Sub-Saharan countries.
- Ability to work with strict deadlines and in multi-disciplinary teams.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and deliver quality products.
- Advanced written and oral communication skills in English.
- Excellent interpersonal and teamwork skills.
What are we offering?
· Excellent working environment.
· Generous compensation package commensurate with experience.
· Work in an equal and diverse workplace.
What are the conditions?
The position is Nationally Recruited Staff (NRS) position limited to Kenya nationals and permanent residents only. The employment contract will be for one (01) year (with a 3-month probation period) possibility of renewal, subject to availability of funding.