Senior Program Officer, Climate Finance South Asia
VACANCY TITLE Senior Program Officer, Climate Finance South Asia
LOCATION Dhaka, Bangladesh or Rotterdam, Netherlands
INTENSITY Full time
ANTICIPATED START DATE As soon as possible
APPLICATION DEADLINE 31 01 2022; 5pm CET
The Global Center on Adaptation (GCA) is an international organization that works as a solutions broker to catalyse action and support for adaptation solutions, from the international to the local, in partnership with the public and private sector, to ensure we learn from each other and work together for a climate resilient future. Adapting to impacts of climate change provides a “win-win” for health, livelihoods, food security, water supply, human security and economic growth. The work of the GCA elevates the visibility and political importance of climate adaptation and facilitates solutions, such as smarter investments, new technologies and better planning to become more resilient to climate-related threats.
GCA The Climate Finance program seeks to make climate risks more visible and actionable by promoting systemic change in fiscal and financial systems to integrate climate risk into decision-making. The Global Commission on Adaptation’s flagship report illustrates that investment in adaptation delivers excellent value for money while providing broader societal and environmental benefits.
GCA is looking to scale up its support for countries through country offices, and in collaboration with multilateral organizations, including multilateral development banks, climate funds, and GCA’s institutional partners. The role will involve an increasing emphasis on climate risk in financial systems but also climate finance as a cross-cutting agenda, supporting the work of GCA’s thematic and sectoral teams. Our partners in this work include national governments, multilateral organizations, international initiatives, coalitions and networks, development finance institutions, private finance institutions, institutional investors, central banks, and international non-governmental organizations.
GCA has a regional office in Dhaka, Bangladesh, South Asia which was launched in September 2020 and which will work with and support South Asian governments, leaders, experts, investors, and communities in strengthening and scaling adaptation actions to tackle the climate emergency. The regional hub also serves as GCA’s Global Hub on locally led Adaptation.
ABOUT THE ROLE
GCA seeks an experienced Senior Climate Finance Officer to help deliver the ambitious objective of mainstreaming of adaptation and resilience into the financial systems of Asian countries aiming to significantly increasing the level of finance flowing towards adaptation and resilience. This role will involve supporting the Climate Finance work of the GCA through providing regional support to countries in GCA’s South Asia regional office, in driving strategic direction, active external engagement, cross-theme coordination, and project implementation.
Areas of responsibility
The responsibilities of the Senior Program Officer, Climate Finance, include:
- Develop a capacity building program, and with practical tools support governments (financial regulators and central banks) and private sector financial intermediaries (banks, investors’ community, private sector companies), in mainstreaming climate risks into policies and investment decision making
- Support regional dialogues on South Asian financial and fiscal systems among key stakeholders. This would ensure exchange on best practices and experiences with implementing macroeconomic stress testing and scenario analysis, taxonomies, integrating TCFD recommendations and green budget tagging
- Support the development of Climate Change Public Expenditure Reviews and implementation of methodologies for green budget tagging
- Participate in the preliminary evaluation of project proposals to assess their feasibility for financial support and/or technical assistance by GCA. This involves the initial screening of projects, carrying out desk reviews, preparing preliminary evaluation notes for presentation to the Workstream Lead and the Regional Director for South Asia
- Participate in relevant missions with project partners to prepare project appraisal reports, including various financial and risk analysis, development outcome analysis, strategic alignment with GCA goals
- Develop and review reports, presentations, and project briefs, among others, as well as support to overall outputs of the AAAP Pillars
- Support the preparation of knowledge products – e.g. policy briefs, news stories, reports – on GCA’s activities and the climate finance workstream, as well as capacity building activities
- Support the day-to-day implementation of the climate finance workstream, including but not limited to the preparation of project concepts, procurement documents, contract management, planning tools, and progress monitoring and reporting.
- Perform any additional tasks as assigned.