Programme Support Specialist
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please note that Closure Date and Time displayed above are based on date and time settings of your personal device
- FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality, background and culture.
- Qualified female applicants, qualified nationals of non-and under-represented Members and person with disabilities are encouraged to apply;
- Everyone who works for FAO is required to adhere to the highest standards of integrity and professional conduct, and to uphold FAO's values
- FAO, as a Specialized Agency of the United Nations, has a zero-tolerance policy for conduct that is incompatible with its status, objectives and mandate, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination
- All selected candidates will undergo rigorous reference and background checks
- All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
The Investment Centre Division (CFI) promotes investment in food security, agriculture, rural development, natural resource management and agro-processing in developing countries and countries in transition, assisting governments and country stakeholders, main development partners, in particular international financing institutions with the strategic planning and implementation of their investments to achieve food security and nutrition, make agriculture, forestry and fisheries more sustainable and productive, reduce rural poverty, make food value chains more efficient and inclusive and promote climate change adaptation and/or mitigation.
CFI is a multidisciplinary division composed of four regionally focused services, namely Eastern, Central and Southern Africa Service, Asia and the Pacific Service, Europe and Central Asia, Latin America and the Caribbean Service, and Near East, North Africa and West Africa Service.
The Consultant/PSA reports to a CFI Officer and/or to a Service Chief.
Support for the planning, development, monitoring of programme of work with FAO development partners, including coordination and operational assistance.
Tasks and responsibilities
The Consultant/PSA will:
- Participate in the development and monitoring of assigned programmes and projects, and provide technical or administrative support, identifies problems and issues to be addressed and proposes corrective actions, liaises with relevant parties, identifies and tracks follow-up actions (for consultants only);
- Review and monitor the preparation of relevant project documents, substantial sections of reports, studies, and inputs to publications;
- Contribute into corporate exercises for planning, monitoring and reporting on results achieved through projects design, implementation support, sector studies, strategies, policy dialogue and capacity development activities;
- Contribute in the production of analytical tools, background papers, analysis, or concept notes;
- Coordinate activities related to budget and funding (programme/project preparation and submissions, progress reports, financial statements, etc.) and prepares related documents/reports;
- Provide support in the production of communication, advocacy materials and outreach activities;
- Assist in policy development, including the review and analysis of issues and trends, corporate policies and procedures, development partners’ requirements and draft proposals;
- Undertake field missions as and when required (for consultants only);
- Perform any other related duties as required.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- University degree in economics, development studies, political science, social science, international relations, business administration, management, information systems, communication or related fields
- From one to fifteen years of relevant experience in results-based project/programme planning and monitoring, including practical experience in project formulation, appraisal, implementation, monitoring, communication and/or in financial and budget planning
- Working knowledge of English, French or Spanish and limited knowledge of one of the other two or Arabic, Chinese, Russian (for consultants). Working knowledge of English, French, Spanish, Arabic or Russian (for PSAs).
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Work experience in more than one location or area of work
- Extent and relevance of experience and knowledge in results monitoring and reporting
- Extent and relevance of experience in programme/project monitoring and administrative support
- Extent and relevance of experience in multilateral and international agencies
- Familiarity with UN system, procedures and operational activities
Please note that all candidates should adhere to FAO Values of Commitment to FAO, Respect for All and Integrity and Transparency