Tibú, Norte de Santander
The Area Manager for Norte de Santander will be responsible for setting up the operational base, recruiting the local staff, launching projects and ensuring the timely and effective delivery of assistance and services to the target population. Under the Country Director’s direct line management, the Area Manager will be based in the DRC Tibú office and will be responsible for the overall management and activity implementation in the surrounding municipalities. The position includes travel to the implementation sites in the mentioned area as well as occasional visits to hosting areas: rural communities for assessment, and meetings with partners and donors, as necessary. The position will include the line management of a team of international and national staff, capacity building of national staff on mixed migration response programming, support tasks and procedures.
- Line manages area program and support staff, ensuring appropriate operational links with CO counterparts.
- Ensure inter-department coordination at area level.
- Closely coordinate with the senior management team ensuring regular information flows.
- People management of direct reports (including development, people planning and performance).
- Oversee the program activities and budget lines, ensuring effective and efficient use of resources including financial, human and all assets.
- Ensure overall provision of and adherence to DRC policies at area level, including Code of Conduct, operational procedures, programme guidelines, use if IT systems, and other standard practices.
- Provide leadership in overseeing logistical/procurement, Human Resources/administration and office services activities and ensure their timely/efficient delivery.
Representation, coordination and reporting
- Act as primary DRC representative in the area of operation.
- Attend all relevant coordination fora/meetings in order to strengthen DRC’s position in the area of operation.
- Foster relationships with local authorities and other relevant stakeholders in the area of operation
- Support working relationships with donors, national and international organizations and local counterparts, where relevant.
- Comply with internal reporting requirements, contribute to, and provide quality assurance of external reports from area of operation.
Programme development and reporting
- Lead the process of adapting DRC national strategy to the local context and circumstances.
- Provide regular analysis on the context and humanitarian situation in the area for the development of project proposals and safety assessments in cooperation with the Country Director and program staff.
- Ensure quality and timely reporting of program and support activities.
- Ensure a safe and secure environment for DRC staff, beneficiaries, and assets by ensuring the local security procedures are up to date and SOPs are being followed in line with DRC policy. Given the highly conflictive context within the areas of operation, the Area manager will have to monitor closely the activities that take place on the ground and the staff that conduct them, making sure that they abide to the safety protocols
- Conduct regular safety and security monitoring and assessments.
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate each of DRC’ five core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results through the Regional team both to position DRC and ensure excellence in all deliverable.
- Collaborating: You lead regional initiatives and processes by involving relevant parties and encouraging feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: You listen to other stakeholders and staff; and you communicate concisely and persuasively.
- Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with DRC’s vision and values.
Moreover, we also expect the following:
- Minimum 5 years´ experience in managing integrated humanitarian programs including protection, Shelter, WASH, Assistance through cash modalities, NFIs, and livelihood.
- Minimum 3 years' experience in relevant field overseeing humanitarian multi-sector programs in environments in conflictive areas and context.
- At least 5 years' experience in people management.
- Strong leadership skills and a competence in people management.
- Practical and extensive financial, Human Resources and administration management.
- Experience working with an integrated ERP system – knowledge of MS Dynamics considered an advantage.
- External stakeholder management (especially with local authorities).
- Proven excellent communication and report writing skills.
- Full proficiency in Spanish is compulsory.
- Proficiency in English is compulsory.
- Experience working in remote areas, with limited opportunities to create social networks.
Extendable 6-month contract. Salary and conditions in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for Expatriates. This position is placed at employment band E2.
All applicants must upload a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English. Applications close 8 January, 2022.