Project Specialist on the National Gender Equality Policy and Legal Framework
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
In Ukraine UN Women works with the government, parliament and civil society to advance gender equality through the implementation of the national and international commitments on gender equality and women’s human rights. The work of UN Women Ukraine is guided by the following strategic goals: elimination of violence against women and girls; implementation of the women, peace and security agenda; and gender responsive governance. UN Women collaborates closely with the UN Country Team to integrate women’s rights and gender equality in all spheres of the UN’s work in Ukraine.
The project “Transformative approaches to achieving gender equality in Ukraine” aims at employing transformative approaches to the advancement of gender equality and women’s empowerment, which we understand as breaking out with ‘business-as-usual’; instead of focusing on barriers women face and empowering women through working with women, gender transformative approaches engage variety of agents of change. Transformative approaches aim at removing the root causes, structural barriers, and restrictive social norms, that underpin the persistence of gender inequalities in various areas of life. In our case transformative approach means engaging with the key institutions at the same time, that have significant impact on either reproduction of restrictive gender stereotypes or can help to break down these social norms and pave the way to greater gender equality and women’s empowerment: the government, women’s organizations, and the private sector.
Reporting to the Project Manager, the Project Specialist on Gender Equality Policy and Legal Framework contributes to the effective implementation of the Project by providing substantive inputs related to project design, formulation, implementation and evaluation within interventions on the National Gender Equality Policy and Legal Framework portfolio. She/he works in close collaboration with the project team, programme and operations teams, Government officials, multi and bi-lateral donors and civil society ensuring successful UN Women programme implementation related to the interventions on the National Gender Equality Policy and Legal Framework.
Impact of results:
The key results of this post directly impact on the ability of UN Women to effectively implement the UN Women programme portfolio in the country. This impact should lead to enhancing the visibility and image of UN Women as an effective leader on gender equality and women’s human rights and empowerment in the country.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of key functions:
- Programme development and management (design, implementation, monitoring, evaluation and reporting on the Project interventions on the National Gender Equality Policy and Legal Framework portfolio)
- Technical support in the national gender equality policy and legal framework analysis, development, implementation, monitoring and evaluation
- Advocacy support and facilitation of knowledge development and management
- Provide inputs to UN Women Operations team to ensure timely implementation of the activities in compliance with the UN Women policies and procedures (the Project interventions on the National Gender Equality Policy and Legal Framework portfolio)
?1. Programme development and management (design, implementation, monitoring, evaluation and reporting on the Project interventions on the National Gender Equality Policy and Legal Framework portfolio)
- Ensure substantive contribution to the analysis and research of the gender equality policy and legal framework, as well as the analysis of the political, social and economic situation in the country from the gender equality and women’s rights perspective, and prepare substantive inputs to the UN Women country office programme and the Project planning; provide substantive input on gender equality policy and legal framework to new policy developments and strategies analyzing policy papers, strategy documents, national plans and development frameworks, and prepare briefs and inputs for policy dialogue and technical assistance coordination on gender equality;
- Design and formulate the programme initiatives translating UN Women’s mandate, policies, tools and strategies into local interventions and ensuring substantive rigor in the design and application of proven successful approaches;
- Expedite and coordinate implementation of the programme interventions on the National Gender Equality Policy and Legal Framework portfolio, establishing collaborative relationships with executing agencies, experts, government counterparts and other UN agencies facilitating timely and efficient delivery of inputs related to the interventions;
- Participate in and contribute to the work of the UN Ukraine Thematic Groups; contribute to coordination of the UN Women activities related to the National Gender Equality Policy and Legal Framework with the other UN Agencies;
- Supervise, coordinate and monitor field level activities of the National Gender Equality Policy and Legal Framework portfolio;
- Ensure effective application of RBM tools and monitoring achievement of results within the portfolio.
2.Technical support in the national gender equality policy and legal framework analysis, development, implementation, monitoring and evaluation:
- Support the UN Women country office and the project team to make gender analysis of and mainstream gender to the policy and legal framework, as well as develop, implement, monitor and evaluate the gender equality policies and legal framework;
- Support the development of the national gender equality policies and legal framework to strengthen the National Women’s Machinery, supporting women’s CSOs and women’s activists to lead and advocate for their priorities and empowering women;
- Provide advice and guidance on gender equality policy and legal framework development, implementation, monitoring and evaluation;
- Analyze degree of implementation by Ukraine recommendations made by UN treaty bodies, Special Procedures and the Universal Periodic Review (UPR). Conduct substantive research and analysis of gender equality issues and provide recommendation to the management related to its mandate implementation;
- Facilitate organization of the project events, studies and the other activities by providing leadership and substantive guidance on the national gender equality policy and legal framework;
- Write and/or provide expert input into a variety of reports, communications, briefings, statements, etc. Prepare analytical reports/overviews on the national gender equality policy and legal framework.
3.Advocacy support and facilitation of knowledge development and management
- Proactively and substantively support and implement relevant, high-impact advocacy activities and campaigns with key partners related to the national gender equality policy and legal framework development, implementation, monitoring and evaluation;
- Ensure awareness about current and emerging gender equality policy and legal framework trends by analyzing programme, projects, strategies, approaches and ongoing experience for lessons learned, best practices, and share with management for use in knowledge sharing and planning future strategies;
- Contribute to the articles and social media materials on the project activities as well as the thematic materials about the national gender equality policy and legal framework;
- Proactively contribute to the national gender equality policy and legal framework networks and communities of practice.
- Organize capacity development of the UN Women country office and the Project staff and partners on the national gender equality policy and legal framework;
- Develop knowledge products on the national gender equality policy and legal framework;
- Facilitate formulation of lessons learned and their application.
4. Provide inputs to UN Women Operations team to ensure timely implementation of the activities in compliance with the UN Women policies and procedures (the Project interventions on the National Gender Equality Policy and Legal Framework portfolio)
- Draft ToRs for experts and companies’ involvement and Concept Notes for events and relevant activities;
- Observe UN Women procurement procedures for selection of suppliers, submit required supporting documents to Operations team for timely processing of contracts and payments;
- Participate in various selection processes for companies and individuals within the scope of exercise.
MEASURABLE OUTPUTS OF THE WORK ASSIGNMENT:
- Full and appropriate implementation of the Project activities on gender equality policy and legal framework analysis, development, implementation, monitoring and evaluation, in line with the Project Document, Annual Work Plan and other documents;
- Advice and guidance on gender equality policy and legal framework development, implementation, monitoring and evaluation provided;
- Results, experiences and lessons learned during implementation of the Project are shared with the project management;
- Programme initiatives are designed and formulated for translating UN Women’s priorities into gender equality policy and legal framework;
- Reporting and quality monitoring activities completed.
PERFORMANCE INDICATORS FOR EVALUATION OF RESULTS:
- Timely and quality inputs to the Project annual work plan, monitoring framework, reports
- Timely monitoring and tracking of programme results
- Adherence to UN Women standards, procedures and rules
- Number of progress, annual and thematic reports contributed to
- Timely organization of events/meetings
- Number of knowledge products developed
- Partnership is established with key stakeholders
- Respect for Diversity;
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues;
- Creative Problem Solving;
- Effective Communication;
- Inclusive Collaboration;
- Stakeholder Engagement;
- Leading by Example.
- Demonstrated development/programming skills particularly those that are pertinent to UN Women strategic priorities on gender issues and women’s human rights;
- Ability to lead implementation, monitoring and evaluation of programmes;
- Ability to develop strategies, plans, methodologies and tools for effective development, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of the gender equality policy and legal framework;
- Good knowledge of Results Based Management principles and approaches;
- Ability to establish and maintain broad strategic networks and partnerships with UN agencies and other partners to promote partnership and build alliances to advance organizational interests and competencies;
- Demonstrated strong coordination, facilitation and communication skills.
Required Skills and Experience
UN Women Personal History Form (P11) must be completed and attached as part of the online application - https://www.unwomen.org/-/media/headquarters/attachments/sections/about%20us/employment/un-women-p11-personal-history-form.doc?la=en&vs=558
At UN Women, we are committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment of mutual respect. UN Women recruits, employs, trains, compensates, and promotes regardless of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, ability, national origin, or any other basis covered by appropriate law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, competence, integrity and organizational need.
If you need any reasonable accommodation to support your participation in the recruitment and selection process, please include this information in your application.
UN Women has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UN Women, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to UN Women’s policies and procedures and the standards of conduct expected of UN Women personnel and will therefore undergo rigorous reference and background checks. (Background checks will include the verification of academic credential(s) and employment history. Selected candidates may be required to provide additional information to conduct a background check).